Starting Plegridy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Plegridy

I received the starter pack today and called Biogen to have them set up a nurse for training. I'll be doing the pen. Hoping to get a call and maybe do the first injection next week I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Good luck...and, yes, please keep us posted!

Comment

Good luck, hope this medication works out for you. Keep us posted.
      Dx'd : 10/30/2002
      Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
      Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Hope it went well! I posted about my experience in another spot on this forum. Innnteresting experience!

Originally posted by Westgrl View Post
        I received the starter pack today and called Biogen to have them set up a nurse for training. I'll be doing the pen. Hoping to get a call and maybe do the first injection next week I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

Comment

I'm scheduled with the nurse for Monday afternoon.

Little nervous about the side effects. I was fortunate that I never experienced any with Avonex so I am hoping if I have any with Plegridy that they will be minimal.

Comment

Good luck to you Westgrl! Keep us informed on how it goes for you. I'm sure your experience will be helpful to our members here

Hope it works well for you!!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The nurse just left. The pen is extremely easy to use and didn't hurt at all. Now I get to wait & see if I have side effects. I didn't get them with Avonex but this is a slightly different medication and I have been off Avonex for a few weeks so we will see.

One thing she mentioned that I liked, the medication can be left out of the fridge for a month. So if you go on vacation, etc you don't have to worry about keeping it cold.

Comment

Hey Westgrl! I've been following this post and others about Plegridy. I have been recently diagnosed with MS and have chosen Plegridy. I am currently in the process of getting it and I guess I should be on it within a month.

I look forward to reading more about your experience with Plegridy and hope everything goes well for you.
                DX 11/2014
                Plegridy -1/2015
                Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

Originally posted by TravisT View Post
                  Hey Westgrl! I've been following this post and others about Plegridy. I have been recently diagnosed with MS and have chosen Plegridy. I am currently in the process of getting it and I guess I should be on it within a month.

I look forward to reading more about your experience with Plegridy and hope everything goes well for you.
                  Thank you TravisT! I know when I started the Avonex pen, all the posts & videos people put up helped. I couldn't find much for Plegridy yet so I hope it helps you & others

Comment

I am happy to report that my first dose was virtually side effect free! I took some Advil right after the first injection and I noticed I was starting to feel achy when that wore off so I took more followed by another dose before bed. I slept great & woke up without any flu like symptoms. I did not have any injection site reactions either.

I realize this won't be the case for everyone. Definitely make sure you drink plenty of water & take some type of pain medication like Advil, Aleve, etc. The starter pack is titrated to help your body get used to it. You start with the lowest dose, followed up another larger does & then the third will be the full dose.

The injection itself was so easy. You never see the needle, before or after. You don't need to attach the needle like with Avonex. You simple take the cap off, press the pen into the skin, the indicator on top will being to move & you will hear clicking when the injection has started & you pull the needle out when the indicator becomes check marks (which takes seconds). I was so nervous but I barely felt a thing.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my first experience with Plegridy & hope it continues to go as good. My next injection will be in 2 weeks.

If anyone has any questions that I didn't already talk about, feel free to ask!

Comment

I did develop a red spot a few days later. It's not hot, doesn't hurt & there's no bump so I assume it's the normal site reaction. I'm a little new to site reactions since I have only ever been on Avonex. From what I read it sounds fairly normal.

Comment

Second shot done. Was a little different this time around. Stung a little going in but was over quickly & developed some redness and a slight welt at the site that had improved by the morning. The site didn't hurt afterwards though.

No flu like symptoms again but I did take Advil.

Overall, it was still extremely easy & it's so freeing only having to do this once every other week. I don't feel so chained down anymore & so much less stress & anxiety.

Comment

Really good to hear. I have yet to hear from my specialty pharmacy about getting Plegridy. Your input on this has been beneficial to calm my nerves a bit since I'm very new to this and have never taken any MS medication. I was diagnosed in November. I'm hoping for good a outcome.
                          DX 11/2014
                          Plegridy -1/2015
                          Gilenya - 8/2017

Comment

Travis - I was extremely nervous when I started Avonex. I had heard all the worst stories about the flu like symptoms and prepared myself. Turned out, especially with titration, my body didn't have any of those reactions.

Everyone is different & you don't know what it will be like until you actually try it. However, the process of the injection with Plegridy is really easy & anxiety free (and I am a complete needle phobe lol).

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you do when you get started!

Comment

Plegridy

I'm very happy to hear that your experience with Plegridy has been a good one!

My experience has been horrible and am in talks with my doctor to change to something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X