Ice pick headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice pick headaches

Another fairly new thing. Can anyone tell me about ice pick headaches? These things come on quickly, are over quickly and are usually ( not always ) in the same spot.

I'm not really sure that these are "ice pick headaches" but they seem to fit the definition.

I'd just like to know if they are anything to worry about.

I have osteoarthritis and suspect they are a result.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti, It sounds like cluster headaches. I had them from 2000-2001. My neurologist finally prescribed a beta blocker and that did the trick. No more migraines or cluster headaches. It took several tries on different meds to get one that would work. Hope it gets better soon.

Comment

Oh ouch Marti - this must be painful!

The NIH says:
      Primary stabbing headache, also known as "ice pick" or "jabs and jolts" headache, is characterized by intense piercing pain that strikes without warning and generally lasts 1 to 10 seconds. The stabbing pain usually occurs around the eye but may be felt in multiple sites along the trigeminal nerve. Onset typically occurs between 45 and 50 years of age. Some individuals may have only one headache per year while others may have multiple headaches daily. Most attacks are spontaneous but headaches may be triggered by sudden movement, bright lights, or emotional stress. Primary stabbing headache occurs most often in people who have migraine, hemicrania continua, tension-type, or cluster headaches. The disorder is hard to treat, because each attack is extremely short. Indomethacin and other headache preventive medications can relieve pain in people who have multiple episodes of primary stabbing headache.

And this from the Mayo Clinic about trigeminal nerve pain:
      http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-pr...nal-nerve-pain

And as for treatment - "Doctors usually prescribe carbamazepine (Tegretol, Carbatrol, others) for trigeminal neuralgia, and it's been shown to be effective in treating the condition. Other anticonvulsant drugs that may be used to treat trigeminal neuralgia include oxcarbazepine (Trileptal). Other drugs, including clonazepam (Klonopin) and gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, others), also may be used."

If this is ongoing, you should talk to your Dr about getting some treatment or if you are already on one of the meds listed, maybe it's time to talk to the Dr about upping the dosage.

I hope this is not long lasting and you can find some relief!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X