"Talked over" by family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Talked over" by family

I expect this garbage from others, but it really upset me when I experienced my family "talking over" me. I.E. interrupting what I was trying to say (get out), then ignoring me, after they had done so. I just quit talking, but I NEED TO KNOW THIS: Has anyone found something that stops or slows this? It is very troubling, demeaning and hurtful.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

great and not sure that I understand exactly what you are looking for. Here is a link, I don't know if this will help you or not,http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132194
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

If I understand what you are saying it sounds like you are having a cognitive problem. I also have problems finding words or getting words to come out. As a matter of fact it happened to me at my Neuro's office this past Monday. He rocognized it and knew what I was trying to say and finished my thought.

To my knowledge there is nothing to do to stop it. You might want to talk to your Neuro about it he may possibly know of something. If he does please share.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

What you are describing sounds more like THEIR problem than your problem. Communication is a two-way street, but it sounds like they only care about what they have to say. I grew up in a home with loud and boisterous people.
        The loudest person normally won and dominated the conversation. Or, the person that could argue the longest might win as everyone else involved got tired and quit the argument/conversation/debate. You might not be withdrawing because of your deficits, you might be withdrawing because your family is insane.

If this is what you are describing, it is not you, it all about them. I would encourage you to find someone that you can actually communicate with one-on-one. Someone that will listen to you, but also engage with you. People generally need people to interact with - this will help cull loneliness, depression and even anxiety. This won't do anything to help your family, but you need the social interaction (and they just need psychiatric help).

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
          I expect this garbage from others, but it really upset me when I experienced my family "talking over" me. I.E. interrupting what I was trying to say (get out), then ignoring me, after they had done so. I just quit talking, but I NEED TO KNOW THIS: Has anyone found something that stops or slows this? It is very troubling, demeaning and hurtful.
          Hi Fishead,

When on a call with certain friends this has occurred.

Being talked over, when you thought a response was yours to offer, is a humbling experience especially with a friend. I normally stop talking and just listen... finally forcing a "hello... hello?" Then as politely as possible say "I was not sure if you were finished? May I respond?"

This has always worked, often with an apology for their babbling.

It's possible we've done the same at some time.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Hi Fishead,

When on a call with certain friends this has occurred.

Being talked over, when you thought a response was yours to offer, is a humbling experience especially with a friend. I normally stop talking and just listen... finally forcing a "hello... hello?" Then as politely as possible say "I was not sure if you were finished? May I respond?"

This has always worked, often with an apology for their babbling.

Jer
            Jer,

THANK YOU THANK YOU! You knew what I was referring to and answered it so eloquently. I appreciate that.

My family is not boisterous nor are they aggressive which is ONE of the reasons this is so frustrating. I have always been assertive but NOT aggressive with my talking. This is so weird and so frustrating.

I believe that there are MANY people here with this same issue. I send out hugs to ALL of you, and ask that everyone with ANY idea on how to handle this, to PLEASE post your ideas.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
            X