Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calves Hurt

Hi Everyone,

I've had leg spasticity since I was diagnosed one year ago. Now I take baclofen at night which helps, but this last week the back of my calves have become extremely stiff and painful walking around or when I get up from sitting. I stretch them daily and it helps a bit, but does not completely take it away.

Have any of you experienced a worse symptom in spasticity maybe over a short period of time? Just not sure if this is a relapse again. Ugh...

Thanks!
    Nikki

You might simply need to increase your Baclofen dosage. If your Neurologist has not previously told you could increase the dosage then please contact him.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I've had it for about 2 1/2 years now in my legs and it has had some flare-ups, the worst being it pulled a few strands of muscles right out of my leg so you could see them,it did go away after about a week. A MS caused stroke a year ago brought it up into my arms. I have to admit I do not know if steroid infusions work for spasticity or not.The first year of spasticity is more up and down before it seems to settle in.I have to ask about baclofen,I have been a little leary of it because I heard it weakens all of your muscles,is that true and how bad?I have enough problems now.Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Snoopy-I'll ask the doc about increasing baclofen.

JK-so sorry to hear about your stroke-have you fully recovered from that?

My Rebif nurse whom I spoke to this morning said it
        might be a relapse if it has lasted more than 24 hours and it the calf thing has lasted 3 days now so it might be. Every time I have a relapse (Mini or big) I get these extremely sharp, electric pains in my head several times per day...very weird & maybe signifies inflammation. It feels like a truck is trying to go down this blocked road and sparks but has to take an alternate route in my brain. The block is the lesion!

Geesh, sometimes I feel like I am falling apart even though I try to keep "positive" most of the time. I have had this disease for only one year. What is to come? When I feel this way, I think like this. It can be so frustrating but I have to remember to keep trekking.

Thanks for listening....
        Nikki

Comment

I have constant spasticity and what has helped me recently is an increase in baclofen. I went from 60 mg a day to 80 mg a day. So I now take 20 mg 4 times a day as opposed to 20 mg 3 times a day. This has made a significant difference in my spasticity. I also still stretch, but don't need to nearly as much. I feel so much better! So it may be in your case as Snoopy suggested, simply asking your neuro for an increase in baclofen.

I know I am probably about maxed out on the oral, but if you are not I would try it. My legs actually do not feel to weak thank goodness, however I am also taking Ampyra as well and exercising...so not sure if that is counteracting some of the relaxant effects of the baclofen.

I have also had steroids..IV pulse and it did give me some temporary relief of the spasticity. It unfortunately was short lived...but if it is really bad right now it may help to get it under control.

Hope this helps as I know how much spasticity sucks...I wish you the best

Comment

The stroke took a few months to get over but it brought spasticity to my arms and it went into my hands after awhile and that was a game changer.Handling rounded or pistol gripped things got difficult,they keep turning side ways.

Comment

Thanks for the advice ejonesbowlie-I think I have to increase my amount of baclofen. That is great that it has helped you so much. I only take it at night because it makes me tired during the day but still is helpful except lately.

Jk-sorry to hear about your complications after the stroke.
              Nikki

Comment

Working...
              X