numbness & tingling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbness & tingling

I have notice that when I awake my legs have tinglings and numbness. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this. I guess my main question is does this mean that my MS is getting worse? Should I call the doctor and talk to her about this?

thanks
    karenwb2

I never had any sensory symptoms with my first exacerbation, but developed it with the second one back in Sept. Now have pins and needles in left foot/calf and it's there constantly.

From what I know sensory symptoms are very common and do not mean your MS is getting worse. New sensory symptoms you were not having could however mean you are having a new exacerbation.

I would certainly report it to your doctor as it is a new and significant symptom. I told my doctor right away and she knows it's still there. She ran blood work for everything and it was all negative so she knows it's neurological in nature. Unfortunately I have to wait until Feb to see neurologist. Don't think there is anything that can be done. I hope for both of us this is not a permanent symptom as it is very ann.oying

Comment

I also have pins and needles in both legs. It started just on the soles of my feet but has slowly climbed up as far as my knees. It's pretty constant but varies in intensity. My neurologist says it's definitely my MS but says steroids won't help. She increased my neurontin which has helped make it less annoying.

Comment

It is likely MS-related.

And, if the symptoms are new symptoms or the worsening of old symptoms that last more than twenty-four hours, it is likely an MS flare.

Steroids would likely help, if it's a flare, but, likely not, if the symptoms have been going on for awhile.

I'd contact your neuro either way. If it's a flare, you may benefit from steroids. If not, many symptoms can be managed by other meds.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

ditto

mamabug is spot on!
          my main sx is numbness and tingling. at least it started that way, now parts of my body are almost completely dead to feeling.

i've had several relapses where the numbness worsens, the sooner you contact neuro & get roids, the better chance you have of slowing down and in my case, reversing some of the numbness.

before my dx, i would wake up at night hollering that there were bugs/ ants biting/ crawling on my feet! DH would check it out and of course, nothing there.
          that was years before MS dx.

always let neuro know of new or worsening symptoms if they've lasted 24 hrs. time is of the essence to stopping the spread in most cases.

praying that you get relief soon!
          God bless ya!
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hi Karen, I agree with Jennagain that you might have a new lesion causing these new symptoms.

I just wanted to comment about steroids since sometimes they are not prescribed for "minor" flares. According to my neurologist, steroids can shorten a flare but after 6 months your symptoms would be the same whether you took steroids or not. Check out: https://www.virginiamason.org/Whatto...ylprednisolone

You have my sympathy! I have had prickling on the top of my head and soles of my feet for 4 years and take 300 mg Gabapentin 2x/day which seems to help.

Comment

Working...
            X