No announcement yet.

The New Prohibition Era-Opioid Pain Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a pain, excuse the pun, we have to out up with to help us with the pain we live with. My PCP Neuro have a relationship where my PCP writes all my scripts or refills. Therefor one doctor is in control. I remember the day I went for a refill of my opioid painkiller and the nurse said she needed a urine sample. I was more than a bit shocked.

Well as luck would have I could not provide the sample. When my PCP saw it was me waiting he told the nurse I was the last person she needed to worry about. My PCP and I have a very good relationship. But every month I go expecting to give that urine sample.

Yes it is an inconvenience, yes it does get costly but it's the price we pay for relief. I have climbed the mountain to morphine and there are days that it barely takes the edge off the pain yet I still take them as prescribed. But if there is a day when I have to take an extra pill it is allowed. My doctor knows I am not abusing nor misusing nor will I ever.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

I read an article on MSN about VA hospital patients being hit with new Opioid Rx regs. Even the medical providers agree the new regulations pose significant burden on patients, and agree the new DEA regs were not well thought out.

VA was already dealing with covering up long appointment delays, monthly appointments for pain med refills is sure to improve that problem. <not>

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
        VA was already dealing with covering up long appointment delays, monthly appointments for pain med refills is sure to improve that problem. <not>
        That truly is a shame that our veterans have to deal with this too, MSM.

I have a new thought related to pain medication that's making me want to scream "Why hasn't somebody put this together and gotten the ball rolling?!?!" I've applied to participate in the Ibudilast/MN-166 trial for progressive forms of MS. (thread here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...rogressive-MS)

So of course I've been reading whatever I can find about it, and look at this:

"Ibudilast crosses the blood–brain barrier and suppresses glial cell activation. This activity has been shown to make ibudilast useful in the treatment of neuropathic pain and it not only enhances analgesia produced by opioid drugs, but also reduces the development of tolerance."

Not only that, but another trial of Ibudilast is seeking to address opioid abuse, and says this:

"
        </not>Recent preclinical studies demonstrate that while ibudilast increases the analgesic effects of opioids, it decreases the rewarding effects of such drugs. It has also been shown that ibudilast suppresses morphine-induced release of dopamine, a primary neurotransmitter involved in the rewarding and reinforcing effects of abused drugs."

In other words, maybe we could have a pain med that in itself, relieves pain, and also helps opioids relieve pain better with a lower dose, while at the same time reduces the desire to abuse them. Doesn't this sound like a huge game-changer in pain management to you?

So where are all these ultra-concerned people who are so worried about pain medication abuse? Why aren't they jumping up and down, hollering about how we should research combining Ibudilast with opioids to see if we can't come up with an effective pain reliever that reduces drug abuse risk? Aren't they clamping down pain meds only because they really care about our well-being? Yeah, I never bought that, either.
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

All the horror stories make me feel very blessed.

Since the regulations came into effect the only change for me is I have to go to the office to pick up a paper script once a month instead of them giving me 1 + 5 refills. With difficulties getting around that is annoying but nothing like what you folks are running into.

I am sure it helps that I have been seeing the same PCP for 7 years and using the same pharmacist for even longer. I started out at 2 5mg vicodin a day and now after 7 years I am up to 4 5mg a day. Every time I needed to bump up the script I just told my doctor and he did it. I am not sure how that will go if I need another increase with the new regulations on the books. I have actually been weaning down to most days only 3 a day so I hope to never have to cross that bridge.

As far as the new regulations go there is NO mandatory drug test involved. The only effective change is that doctors can not write refills, and all scripts must be written out no phoning them in any longer. IF your doctor is requiring a drug test or any other hoops that is them not the DEA. Unfortunately for those who's doctors are requiring such things it will be very difficult to change doctors at this point as it would instantly make you appear to be a drug seeker. It is important to know your rights though just to give you confidence when dealing with your doctor. I know it is hard to stand up to a doctor and could ruin the relationship but honestly if your doctor is acting like that the relationship is already ruined.

One other thing I will add. I smoke pot both to help me sleep at night, to reduce muscle spasms and for the neuroprotective properties. I am not in a medical marijuana state but both my PCP and my Neurologist know that I smoke. That being the case a drug test would screw me royally so I am very cautions about what I agree to at the doctors office. Perhaps my legal gray area makes me more aware of the laws and my rights.
          Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            I hope benzodiazepines are next on the list and overall believe it is time to start investigating other methods of pain control.
            At thsi time there is an initiative to legalize medical marijuna in my state. I never used drugs, never advocated for their use recreationally or otherwise, so for me this a departure from my usual mo. Today I wrote a letter to a state House of Representative legislator (not mine) based on a quote from him in my newspaper. The following is the text from my letter:

Dear Representative Curtin:

First, thank you for going into public service. I am sure your intentions to serve were not to become wealthy. Second, you are not my representative, and so probably feel no obligation to respond to this letter. Nevertheless, I would be thrilled to have a dialogue with you about your views with regard to legalization of marijuana.

Today's Columbus Dispatch quoted you as saying, "This issue is about trying to create a $1 billion industry for ten individuals and their friends." While I am not personally affiliated with anyone spearheading the proposed legislation, nor am I a member of NORML (I tend to laugh at people invested in trying to make it easier to use marijuana under the guise of compassion for people with medical issues), I am in favor of the legalization of medical marijuana. On that note, taken as said, your quote is incorrect.

Marijuana needs to be studied to allow scientist and growers to produce standards for dosage the same as opiods or other synthetics in use currently. I am a patient with multiple sclerosis. Obviously I don't welcome my symptoms or the prospect of disease progression, but since there is no cure for my condition, and the pain management alternatives are known to be addictive and have a plethora of undesirable side effects, it only seems prudent to explore other avenues. That said, medical researchers know that to study one issue typically leads to the development of many offshoots. For example, I benefited from Tysabri, a medication that was developed to treat Crohn's disease.

Please don't shut this proposal down out of hand. Please consider diverting funds gained from its passage toward research to develop better medicines.

Respectfully,
            BadAttitude

Comment

Attacks on pain sufferers

People who are in pain have been a convenient target for Law and Order weirdos and DEA groupies for years. I was DX'd with MS in '99, and was able to fight my way through a labyrinth of obstacles to get access to good pain meds.
              I finally was prescribed methadone, and it worked well, still does 15 years later. My days would end at 10 AM if I were lucky, on bad days I just wouldn't get up at all.
              Once my pain was treated, I felt like I had shed 100 lbs of misery...
              A couple of years later, I returned to work.

If for some reason my treatment was stopped, I would have stopped, too. No more job, no more paying taxes, and complaining like everyone else about long work days, low pay and traffic jams on my commute.
              I commuted every day on my BMW motorcycle, rain or shine to a job I loved. And when I was ready to retire, I did, on my terms/
              When I hear about about various politicians or medical "experts" going about how HORRIBLE pain meds are and how the doctors that prescribe them are Evil Doers or Drug Dealers....
              It makes me so angry that I wish I could just kick them in their shins and ask "This is how my whole body feels every darn day, without proper treatment, butt out of something you don't understand!"
              Jim S.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                ........how about making it possible for patients with legitimate chronic pain to get enough relief to carry on with their minimal daily activities - caring for themselves, their homes, their families, maybe even holding a job.

MS itself is bad enough, with no cure at present; at least let us get treatment for some of the symptoms.
                Exactly! Addicts are going to do what addicts do, whether pain sufferers are treated or not.
                Jim S.

Comment

Originally posted by jstinnett View Post
                  When I hear about about various politicians or medical "experts" going about how HORRIBLE pain meds are and how the doctors that prescribe them are Evil Doers or Drug Dealers...
                  Those politicians and medical experts are referring to doctors like Lisa Tseng who was just convicted of three counts of second-degree murder for wantonly prescribing opioids to people she knew were addicts and people she never even examined and who had no medical need for the drugs, especially not in the shocking amounts she was prescribing them. Six or seven of her other patients also died from overdoses, but she wasn't charged in their deaths.

If you want to blame someone for a situation you don't like, stop blaming the messengers and start blaming the ones who are REALLY responsible for why people who legitimately need opioid painkillers can't get them: the prescribers who are enabling deaths and the criminals and addicts they cater to.

It's appalling to me that so many MSers condemn pharmaceutical companies that spend billions of dollars to develop legitimate MS treatment medications and charge for them accordingly, but then give a free pass to doctors, addicts and drug traffickers who are directly responsible for them not being able to get the pain-relieving medications they need, choosing to instead condemn the messengers and those who are trying to prevent a pandemic of needless deaths.

Comment

Methadone

Hey jstinnett, glad to hear that you've gotten so much pain relief and improvement in your life! I just recently started methadone a few weeks ago at a very low dose, and think it might be helping a little. For the first time in about 8 years, I'm starting to feel like there might be some hope instead of dreading the possibility that I might have to life through 20 more years of this hell. There might even be a chance that this could save my life.

I have a lot of questions, and I'd be really interested in learning more from your experience. Would you be willing to share your knowledge? If so, I'd like to start a thread just for this in the Medications area of this forum.
                    PPMS
                    Dx 07/13

Comment

Such a "sore" subject. I went to a pain clinic in another state in which my ex stole my pain medication I hid, locked up, etc. and he found every spot. I was stuck...if I reported him, I'd get kicked out of the pain clinic.

My father was a prescription med addict, so I am well versed.

The new regulations are hideous for those of use looking for some relief. It doesn't give me relief so much as some relaxation ability to deal with the spasms. Now on top of the monthly required written prescription, the mayor of our wonderous state is now looking to limit the # of you may receive every month!!

I am also enraged having dealt with a family member who was an addict and an ex who was an addict. That people are calling it a disease. That people should be forgiven. That they are not; responsible for their actions. I do believe that addicts should be forgiven, if they go through rehab and remain clean. BUT, and I am sorry if I do offend anyone, I do believe that addicts are responsible for their actions and that they are responsible for the state they find themselves in. They were the one who took their first hit and the second and the third, etc. No one forced the drugs on them. They had the decision to walk away at any time.

I know this. I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
                        Such a pain, excuse the pun, we have to out up with to help us with the pain we live with. My PCP Neuro have a relationship where my PCP writes all my scripts or refills. Therefor one doctor is in control. I remember the day I went for a refill of my opioid painkiller and the nurse said she needed a urine sample. I was more than a bit shocked.

Well as luck would have I could not provide the sample. When my PCP saw it was me waiting he told the nurse I was the last person she needed to worry about. My PCP and I have a very good relationship. But every month I go expecting to give that urine sample.

Yes it is an inconvenience, yes it does get costly but it's the price we pay for relief. I have climbed the mountain to morphine and there are days that it barely takes the edge off the pain yet I still take them as prescribed. But if there is a day when I have to take an extra pill it is allowed. My doctor knows I am not abusing nor misusing nor will I ever.
                        SHAME on that doctor for making the nurse out to be the enemy. That nurse/medical tech was ONLY doing what that office requires from EVERYONE, and the DOCTOR knows that.
                        Peace to all,
                        LM
                        RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

I don't know how I found this thread; searched for eye pain and Gilenya, but it's truly awesome. All these people!

Australia follows America, so we're cracking down on opiates.

Addicts are shifting to OxyContin and of course, heroin because police are now testing drivers for drugs, as well as alcohol.

More "drug drivers" are caught in our little town than drink-drivers.

But the catch is the drug test is a saliva sample. Take meth or marijuana and you'll eventually get caught.

So those who choose to abuse drugs have gone back to heroin and all the other opiates. And the overdoses are back on the rise.

Next year, we'll need a script for what are currently over-the-counter painkillers containing codeine.

(It's the paracetamol that's the real disaster in an overdose of these drugs anyway.

Presumably, pain management clinics and urine tests are on the way.

What I find bizarre is that if you have chronic pain and a chronic disease, it's not like you're taking these drugs for fun.

We're about to be allowed "medical marijuana". We're assured no-one will get any enjoyment out of it.

Prohibition just doesn't work, but we keep on keeping on.
                          Stupidest thing of all - if there is something I might enjoy - like real marijuana - why can't I have it?

I'm not getting much fun out of anything else - pain, insomnia, exhaustion, MS drug side effects etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                            I don't know how I found this thread; searched for eye pain and Gilenya, but it's truly awesome. All these people!

Thinkimjob - look under "Vision Problems" - 'Eye, pain headache light sensitivity' . Yeah I had it - it was one of the reasons I gave up on Gilenya.

Comment

Hi Thinkimjob,
                              I believe its also to make drugs less available to those who use common cold remedies etc for making meth.

It will be a bit of a pain in the butt having to get more scripts though.
                              Hopefully the powers that be will allow for that with people like us by allowing us to get a script with more than 1 months supply on it.
                              I take 3 drugs at present that require me to either see the doc each month or to pay an extra $20 for the service of getting the script written up for me to pick up.
                              This is extra cost and effort I could do without.

On another subject- where did you hear about the medical MJ?
                              I am interested in trying this . Could prob source the other stuff but have no interest in the euphoria.
                              Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                                Hi Thinkimjob,
                                I believe its also to make drugs less available to those who use common cold remedies etc for making meth.

It will be a bit of a pain in the butt having to get more scripts though.
                                Hopefully the powers that be will allow for that with people like us by allowing us to get a script with more than 1 months supply on it.
                                I take 3 drugs at present that require me to either see the doc each month or to pay an extra $20 for the service of getting the script written up for me to pick up.
                                This is extra cost and effort I could do without.

On another subject- where did you hear about the medical MJ?
                                I am interested in trying this . Could prob source the other stuff but have no interest in the euphoria.
                                Caroline
                                It should be coming soon to Queensland.

Comment

Working...
                                X