Sensory Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensory Overload

We just took a 650 mile journey for a Thanksgiving Holiday visit with our family. Once my DH and I would do this in one long day, but we now break it up into 2 days due to my MS.

I find that the effect on me of being in the car for such a long time really tires me out. It's not like I do anything but sit; I don't even share the driving. However, the traffic, weather and being confined to a smallish space really bothers me.

This particular trip was a change in climate (colder and grey), stay in a hotel for 7 days and lots of going back and forth to relatives home.

My eyes get so tired, but it also seems to work on my senses. I find large groups of people to make me tired. I get really agitated when traveling and the weather is bad, the traffic heavy and the constancy of driving so long. We do stop and take breaks.

Just wondered if others feel this way?

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

i had to tell family that i was having issues with large, loud groups (!! nieces and nephews under age 15) so unless i had a quiet "escape", i would not be attending. went to a wedding reception and was able to last a whole 45 minutes!
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

You sound just like me ...

Yes, this happens when you get more input than your brain can properly process. When you get too many external triggers, it kicks off an internal response. Just like a computer, your brain can get overwhelmed, when this happens you can become overstimulated, anxious, stressed and/or fatigued. In your case, it sounds like you become fatigued. This can be caused by video games, sporting events, busy shopping malls, and driving or riding in a car. Certain foods, drinks, medications, illness can all increase these sensations. I'm sure you know someone that freaks out a bit when they have too much coffee or caffeine. Or when you go to the eye doctor and they dilate your eyes, your brain gets all this funky feedback and you can get overstimulated. Each person has a different capacity to deal with stimulation. Some movies make some people sick, especially 3D movies, but others tolerate it just fine. Some people can drive race cars, and others have trouble at 50 mph.

MS often reduces reaction times, reflexes and interrupts normal brain function. So your brain takes a fraction of a second longer to process the same amount of information. Your hubby is driving 65, but it's more like 110 to your brain. The information is just coming faster than you can process it. When your brain gets too much stimulation your mind will race, you cannot focus and you become fatigued. When this happens with a computer you might reboot it.It's a little harder to reboot your brain, but you can reduce the number of sensations you are feeding your brain. When this happens to me I try to cut off my senses with ear plugs, sunglasses or even just shutting my eyes for a few moments.

Comment

I have this too

I get really fatigued and nauseous in situations where there is too much going on, especially in the supermarket when it's busy or just in town with too much traffic. I've been slowly stocking up over the past few grocery shops so that I can hopefully stay away from places like this when there are heaps of people.

Comment

Large groups indeed causes Sensory overload for me. I try to limit those situations.

Black Friday Shopping....pfffttt.....I will pay full price.
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm with you...

While these may not be the most serious of the symptoms I fight, I think they may be the most obnoxious!

I can be overwhelmed by sensory overload of many types, singly or in combination. Too much sound, too much movement, too many lights, too much perfume(!) can all make me dizzy, nauseous, and EXHAUSTED. Hyper-sensitivity to sound, though, is the worst....
            "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

Search for Lamar Freed Fatigue

It is the best description of MS fatigue I have read. It is also good to give to your family/friends so they can understand.
              "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Thanks MSLazarus for this! Here is the article http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multipl...-/show/1896092

I find that prioritizing my day helps with my fatigue - even in my home and by myself all day. The sensory overload is really prevalent when I'm out and about or with groups of people. I'm the first one to leave to scene! It makes me sad and so frustrated. But I have to remember to take care of myself, first and foremost. I have not been able to go shopping for the holidays and online shopping is now the only way.

My hearing is excellent, but I'm really hypersensitive to noise. I can't eat at restaurants where the music is loud as I can't track the conversations. At home, it's really difficult with the TV on as my husband is hard of hearing, so I bought him some head phones.

Guess we have to come up with different set of rules and coping mechanisms to survive!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have the same problem when my whole family gets together. All the conversations seem to run together and becomes one big noise. When I know everyone is coming over I take a Xanax and that seems to help.
                  Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                  Babe Ruth

Comment

I tried to go shopping today. I had to leave the store because the music was too loud. Also, my husband has to put the closed captioning on the TV because otherwise I can't stand it loud enough so he can hear it. I make him mute the TV whenever he talks. I'm sure it seems incredibly rude to him and others that I am so whiney with noise. We have a Christmas party tonight that I am dreading. Wish me luck!

Comment

YES too much input is quite taxing. Find a cool, quiet dark corner and retreat as necessary!!
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I made the mistake of going to macy's last night on my own to buy some pants for an interview. Holy sheese. It was so unbelievably overwhelming and I kept going in circles and lost all decision-making ability. I found a very nice saleslady who totally helped me and was so kind. I teared up I was so moved and grateful.

Definitely bringing someone with me if there's a next time.

Not sure the interview went well - three interviewers! but at least I went and pushed through the panic. Good for me. :-) I came home and cried just from the overwhelmingness of it all.

I sooo want to work again. Having trouble accurately assessing my current ability. But I'm off topic.

Yes sensory overload!

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
                          I made the mistake of going to macy's last night on my own to buy some pants for an interview. Holy sheese. It was so unbelievably overwhelming and I kept going in circles and lost all decision-making ability. I found a very nice saleslady who totally helped me and was so kind. I teared up I was so moved and grateful.

Definitely bringing someone with me if there's a next time.

Not sure the interview went well - three interviewers! but at least I went and pushed through the panic. Good for me. :-) I came home and cried just from the overwhelmingness of it all.

I sooo want to work again. Having trouble accurately assessing my current ability. But I'm off topic.

Yes sensory overload!
                          I don't think you went off topic at ALL. Talk about "SENSORY OVERLOAD"! You were "living it" last night and today. {hugs to you}
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thank you Thank you fishead. :-)) That hug couldn't come at a better time.

Comment

Seasha has posted a link to the greatest explanation of MS fatigue that I ever read.

Thanks for doing this. The article is by an MD who has MS.

Lamar Freed. Just search his name and fatigue and you will find it but Seasha found it and posted this link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multipl...-/show/1896092
                              "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Working...
                              X