Cranberry tabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranberry tabs?

My urologist suggested that I begin taking cranberry tablets. She didn't say how much or how many times per day. I have problems with UTI's. Does anyone have any suggestions? The urologist said that if I can 'acidify' my urine with cranberry, the bladder would become less likely to harbor bacteria that causes UTI's . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello JerryD,

I take 2 cranberry tablets in the morning and 2 at night. I also take macrobid a low dose antibiotic.

I have done this for years and it has really helped me but my urologist pa wants me to soon come off of the macrobid.
    I guess I will see if the cranberry will help by itself.

Please keep us posted on how it is working for you.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks for the info! I recently got my first UTI.
      Nikki

Comment

My very active DH suddenly got extremely fatigued and so weak and wobbly it was difficult to walk, this past week. This morning when he could barely get out of bed, we called the neurologist. She immediately suspected UTI, we did a culture, and yes, that was the problem! He didn't need steroids, he needed cranberry tablets and antibiotics. The neurologist specifically said he should take cranberry tablets 2x per day. The bottle says a dose is 2 tablets so he will be taking 4 a day from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          My urologist suggested that I begin taking cranberry tablets. She didn't say how much or how many times per day. I have problems with UTI's. Does anyone have any suggestions? The urologist said that if I can 'acidify' my urine with cranberry, the bladder would become less likely to harbor bacteria that causes UTI's . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
          For the amount, I look at serving size in the nutrition info on the product, and it tells how many to take each day. I've not had success with cranberry stopping UTI's. i do take it, in combination with some other supplements, to help reduce urinary fx, and it has made a difference for me in that.

For preventing UTI's, I use D-Mannose. It's been very effective for me. I've also read that it can cure a UTI, which cranberry cannot. I wouldn't try it alone for that, but, I'd consider using it until I could get on an antibiotic, in order to jump start treatment. You can get it in tablets or in a powder. You can find it in a health food store or online at amazon.com. Here is the brand that I prefer: http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-D-Ma...mannose+powder
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I drink 10 oz. of cranberry juice every day. Been doing this for years. Don't have any problems with UTI'S. Do have to make sure I'm by a bathroom 2 hours later.

Comment

I took cranberry tabs, but recently found d-mannose capsules to be very successful for me with preventing UTIs. Had gotten 3-4 UTIs a year gor many years, and since taking d-mannose has been over a year now with no UTIs! Literature on d-mannose says it is most effective for ecoli bacteria. I also take the Now brand in tabs and order from Amazon.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X