New To Self Cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To Self Cathing

I've been diagnosed since 2008. I've been being followed by a urologist for a while for retention issues. I was taking Flomax, which was helping. At yesterday's appointment I got some news that I was dreading might happen someday. I am now retaining more than I was and was told I should now self cath 4 times a day. This really has me freaking out. I am being scheduled for a urodynamic test. What does this involve? I was shown how to cath by a nurse at the doctor's office. It felt weird, but luckily didn't hurt. Does it take very long to get used to?

I started cathing on 12/2. As the urology nurse told me, it took a week or two for my body to get used to it, but it is now no big deal. Haven't figured out an easy way to deal with it at work, so I'm doing 2 times a day, not the 4 they wanted. Still wonder if anyone can tell me about the Urodynamics test?

Comment

Hi Randy,

Good to hear you are doing well with self-cathing.

I'm not a guy, but just wondering if you could just go into a stall to self-cath at work?

Here is information about urodynamics testing. It was 'awkward' but the urology staff was great when I had it done. Hope it goes well for you.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/urodynamic/

Good luck and please keep us updated on how things went.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'm not so much worried about privacy as we have a 1 person handicapped bathroom as I am about sanitary conditions.

Also, the VA gives me catheters that are not pre-lubricated.

Comment

You can buy lubricant such as K-Y jelly (in personal products section for woman in any retail store) or Surgiglue (exmed.net has it very reasonably priced starting at $2.95 tube).

Another thing some people find helps is lidocaine gel (requires an rx from your doctor).

Best wishes,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

VA sends me lubricant with the catheters but carrying all the supplies to work with me is another thing about doing it there.

I hope to get a new job soon and once I get health insurance again I'll look into getting the catheters that are already lubricated in the package.

Comment

I got free samples of the Coloplast SpeediCath pre-lubricated catheters. They are a lot better. Hopefully I can get them or something similar provided by the VA.

Comment

I don't know how firm the rules are on this at the VA, but I have been told several times that my insurance WILL NOT pay for SpeediCaths.

A couple phone calls, a dispense-as-written scrip from my urologist, and Speedicaths were approved.

There is so much evidence that hydrophilic catheters lead to fewer complications, lower rates of infections, etc., that they really don't have an excuse for denying them. I encountered several dead ends, but eventually found people willing to help me get them approved.

Comment

My issue is not with urinary incontinence but ejaculate incontinence. I can be minding my own business and not having any sexual thoughts, maybe watching TV and all of a sudden I feel wet and low and behold I have ejaculated into my pants. I dont get an orgasm just semen. MS is a pain

Comment

I had the urodynamics test last Friday, glad that's over. The Urologist said unless my symptoms change, I'll never have to do it again.

The VA denied my prescription for the SpeediCath catheters. The Urologist is going to try to put it through again with a statement justifying why I need them.

Comment

SpeediCath catheters were approved this time. It pays to be persistent.

Comment

Working...
                      X