Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnostic test in process...

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. I am just looking for support, thoughts, or advice anyone may have as I am still going through test to determine what is the cause of my symptoms.

A little background info: I'm a 24 yr old female who is overall healthy except for a history of epilepsy (diagnosed 2005) which is well controlled on medication. Also there is history of MS & Lupus in my family.

My symptoms started almost 2 years ago, first with tingling in my face (left cheek, nose & upper lip). I called my neurologist after this went on for 3 days straight, he didn't seem concerned about it so I didn't worry either. This random tingling has occurring on and off since. Around 8 months ago I begin having tingling, numbness, loss of sensation in my hands, I brushed it off at first but then began to worry when the tingling then went to my feet & down my from my knees to my feet at times.

I have also had the symptom that is described as the "MS hug" I never connected that sensation/ pain with the possibility of MS until my doctor considered this a possibility. I just thought I had a pulled muscle or something.

I get bouts of fatigue & weakness, some days it feels as if my limbs are so heavy & It is hard for me to go up & down the stairs of my home.

I've also had some episodes of where I get a burning sensation. This has happened to my left foot & right ear several times. I try to cool the burning feeling by applying a cool rag but that then results in sharp razor like sensations instead of cooling it.

There are also times that I have dizziness & feel as if my ears have been stuffed with cotton balls bc everything sounds muffled & they feel "full."

Also I feel the urge to urinate frequently & once the urge hits I can't seem to "hold it" like I used to.

I believe I have covered all my symptoms. I had an MRI of my brain which was normal. I just had a nerve conduction test & VEP which I should know the results at my next appt when I get the lumbar puncture. Also MRI of spine is scheduled. During the VEP I had to repeat my left eye twice as the tech said the first time was "bad" that was concerning to me, should I be concerned?!

If anyone has any insight, words of advice/ encouragement please share it with me. I know I shouldn't worry because it does no good, but I am just ready to know what is causing my symptoms.

Hi Nativequeen77 and welcome to MSWorld.

During the VEP I had to repeat my left eye twice as the tech said the first time was "bad" that was concerning to me, should I be concerned?!
    Tech's are not allowed to say anything negative or positive in reference to how a test(s) turns out.

I would suspect there was a problem when doing the VEP and it simply needed to be redone for proper analysis.

I will keep my fingers crossed MS is not the cause for your symptoms. Best wishes in the diagnostic process.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi NativeQueen 77 and welcome!

I am sorry for your circumstances and understand why you are worrying. It's perfectly natural when you have symptoms and no definitive answers. You will get a good chunk of information from your spinal tap so you should know more once that's done. I wish you all the best - keep us posted!
      Lauren
      Retired Nurse Manager
      Disabled since 2010

Comment

The one good thing is that your head MRI was normal. Since most causes of tingling in the face come from the brain and brainstem, you can breathe a sigh of relief for a second. However, it will be interesting to see what your spinal MRs show since most of your symptoms are in your limbs. Your symptoms sound familiar, but other diseases need to be ruled out as well.

If your spinal MRIs come back negative, they can always do an LP to check for o-banding.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, OK?
        Take care
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I will update you all when I find out new information.

Comment

Working...
          X