Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referred to a neuro, curious about what tests will be run

Hi,

My GP has referred me to a neuro but didn't mention what tests they will run or what the visit with a neuro will be like.

So what's the process like? Will I just go in and discuss symptoms and then the neuro decides what tests to procede with? I guess I'm confused because I assumed most people aren't referred to a neuro until an mri comes back abnormal. At this point in time I have not had any mri's done.

Also, if tests done by the neuro come back abnormal do I discuss that with them or is the info sent back to my GP?

Hi Catlover - It's been many years since my first initial visit to a neurologist, so I can't give you first hand knowledge. I do know they will want to rule out other conditions as there are many "mimics". The neuro will want your medical history and list of any symptoms you are experiencing or have experienced in the past. They should give you a full exam.

This site will be helpful for preparing for an office visit (from the American Academy of Neurology) http://patients.aan.com/go/preparingforanofficevisit

Here is a link from the National MS Society that you also might find helpful: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...agnosing-Tools

I guess I'm confused because I assumed most people aren't referred to a neuro until an mri comes back abnormal.
    My primary doctor had the MRI testing done for my first MRI, but usually the neuro will refer you for an MRI as part of the diagnostic testing.

Please keep in touch and let us know how it goes!
    Take care
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My first visit was only two months ago. I had some weird tingling in my feet so I went directly to a podiatrist first thinking it was neuropathy. He referred me to the neurologist with an order for an ncv and emg test. Got those done and they were normal so the neuro ordered up a thoracic and cervical spine mri and blood tests for a bunch of things to start ruling out mimics...hiv, ana, creactive protein, lymes, vitamin d level, b12, etc. The mris showed lesions. He ordered a brain mri and then evoked potentials. While this happened I had my gp cced on all tests to keep him informed but they haven't been too directly involved. Most of these tests you may not need like ncv or emg...they are to test peripheral nerves rather than cns. None of the tests were too bad so far. This has all taken since early September. My gp told me to hold off on the mri at one point, which in hindsight was the wrong call but I can't fault the guy for trying to save me some anxiety and approach it slowly. Oh yeah, neuro will just do a straightforward exam testing stuff like your balance and reflexes. My first visit with him was very brief, mainly just ordered tests.

Comment

Hi Seasha,

Thanks for the response and helpful links. It's too bad I haven't kept a diary of symptoms to prepare for my visit. Oh well, maybe from now on I should start tracking and writing all info down

Comment

Your welcome, and yes, start keeping track now or at least give it a ball park try in remembering what happened when!

Best of luck
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
          X