Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plegridy. Any thoughts on this medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plegridy. Any thoughts on this medicine?

Has anyone heard of Pledgridy?

Plegridy: wondering too

I just saw something advertising that it's out as of today, and came here hoping someone else had info. about it.
    I just switched off of Tec, back to Ty, but can't be on it for more than a year or two, so I am hoping for new meds coming out in the next couple of years. When my doctor mentioned the promising medications, he said he was most excited about ocrelizumab and another 'mab' formulation that's a shot, but didn't mention this one. Maybe that's because it is more of a mid-range like Tec, not big guns like Ty.
    I'd love to hear more about it, however. There was tons of info about Tysabri before it came out.

Comment

Hi jlk9498 - here is a thread under our Treatment and Trials sub forum that might be of help to you:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...light=plegridy
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Saw my neurologist today and signed up to try it, even though I've never heard of it.

I've been on Copaxone for 12 years and full of dents from injections. Switched to the 3/week Copaxone and the welts and irritation were worse. I also had an infection at the site and the skin tore open. Tried Tecfidera and Aubagio and had stomach problems.

I planned on going back to daily Copaxone and would just have to get creative finding usable sites. I'm nervous about Plegridy, but I won't know if it works for me if I don't try it.

Wish me luck!
        Dx'd : 10/30/2002
        Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
        Currently on Rituxan

Comment

I am having some trouble with Tecfidera, and have been considering this.

They strongly advise against it if you have a history of depression.

The other side effects I've read about did not make me super happy either - permanent heart arrhythmia and seizures. Not that that happens to most people, but it's worth a look. Those are heavy duty consequences.

The idea of a subq 2x a month is very appealing to me.

Comment

I just filled out and signed the plegridy start form. I am on Avonex right now but the doctors don't feel that it's really working. So we are going to try Plegridy which is basically Avonex 2.0 stays in the system longer and double the dose.

I'm nervous about the side effects of increasing the dose so much but all the meds have their side effects. I know that thought it's not one of the "big" side effect Seizures were mentions for Avonex as well. I've read about possible heart problems but I did not however hear about Permanent heart problems... I will have to talk to my doctor about that one!

But in general I'm "excited" about it if for no other reason it's less shots with a smaller needle
            Sos219
            4/24/2014
            Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Comment

I just received a box of info on Plegridy via FedEx yesterday. It has an injection planner and several preparation mats, but it's huge and the bulk of it is the warnings and side effects stated over and over and over throughout the materials.

I'm concerned since I've never tried an interferon before. Maybe I should give Avonex a shot before going for the big gun Plegridy. I asked my doctor if trying Avonex would give me an idea if Plegridy side effects would be worse for me and she said no. She also didn't have me get blood work before I tried Aubagio, so I'm not the most comfortable with her lately either.
              Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Starting Plegridy

I am starting Plegridy on Monday. Since 1995 I have taken, in order, Betaseron, Copaxone, Novantrone, Avonex, Rebif, Avonex again. Because if kidney risk (I have Lupus as well) and hypertension, I did not qualify for any of the oral meds.
                An MS Active source supplied nurse must come to show me how to use the injector. It seemed fairly straightforward from the HUGE information package but the training is required.

I agree that the info package is just side effect warnings over and over. My doc has been involved in the trials and he feels the biggest issues are depression ( as the literature states you should discuss signs of new or worsening depression with your doctor before starting Plegridy), and 24-48 hours of having the "interferon flu" I will take a prescription strength Nsaid a few hours before injection and every 4-6 hours for the 24 hours following injection. I will also use an ice pack to ease the discomfort and counter any swelling after each injection.

The dose is huge and I will titrate from 1/2 dose to 3/4 to full so won't b on full dose until 6 weeks out. There are also very specific injection sites to avoid the medicine coming in direct contact with any joints.

As for getting away from the "dents" created by copaxone - (I have those on my thighs and stomach from over 10 years ago) - it is my understanding that Plegridy will create the same kind of atrophy. Also, the injections can be painful. I have had very bad side effects from the other interferons and I have been warned that these will be like those only multiplied - aches, low-grade fever, extreme fatigue and, for me, migraine. However, I have decided that I can manage around two - four days of side affects a month. That is much better than every week.

It is very expensive but the standard prescription includes a statement of medical necessity for insurance. Mine was approved in 2 days for the standard $40. copay. Biogen has a program that will refund that if you apply.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Ciel - or anyone experienced with interferons -

I have dents from Copaxone too, that's why I am looking to switch meds - also I'm burnt out on daily shots and the 3x/week Copaxone site reactions were worse for me.

I was wondering if you found Avonex any better in regards to site reactions and dents since it is intramuscular. Are any of the other injectables that you've tried any better? Which interferon did you find to have the least side effects?

Thanks.
                  Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Here's my take. If you are taking interferon therapy, any interferon, you should consider this medicine. The variance between 1a and 1b isn't that large, but the difference in just shot schedules is amazing. Plegridy builds on the long interferon history giving users a fairly expected outcome.
                    There are a number of other newly approved medications that I have passed on, but Plegridy is one I'd do. The efficacy of any interferon lags behind a number of other medications, but Plegridy is roughly the same as any interferon.Fewer injections, fewer injection problems, less skin damage without sacrificing efficacy? Yes, I'm in.

The only real concern I would have would be is the higher possibility of depression. Here is the Plegridy starter form:
                    http://www.accredo.com/sitecore/medi...s/Plegridy.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnada View Post
                      Saw my neurologist today and signed up to try it, even though I've never heard of it.

I've been on Copaxone for 12 years and full of dents from injections. Switched to the 3/week Copaxone and the welts and irritation were worse. I also had an infection at the site and the skin tore open. Tried Tecfidera and Aubagio and had stomach problems.

I planned on going back to daily Copaxone and would just have to get creative finding usable sites. I'm nervous about Plegridy, but I won't know if it works for me if I don't try it.

Wish me luck!
                      I am receiving my initial dose tomorrow. I also have the dents from Copaxone that are still here years after I stopped taking it. The bad news is, I understand from both my doc and MSActive Source (Biogen) that the same injection site reactions are a problem with Plegridy. Those don't occur with Avonex because of the IM injection.

Comment

I've been on Avonex since 1997 and have been planning on switching over to Plegridy. I must admit that I'm nervous though, now that the time has come. I tried Tecfidera last year in hopes of eliminating the shots and the side effects were so horrible I only lasted a few weeks before switching back to Avonex. I have ZERO problems on Avonex. To me, the benefit of Plegridy is fewer shots. I worry about worsening depression (which I have but can successfully treat), the site reactions that everyone mentions, and potential heart problems! I'll talk to my doctor, but I'm curious if people think there is a reason to switch from Avonex to Plegridy in light of all this. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnada View Post
                          Ciel - or anyone experienced with interferons -

I have dents from Copaxone too, that's why I am looking to switch meds - also I'm burnt out on daily shots and the 3x/week Copaxone site reactions were worse for me.

I was wondering if you found Avonex any better in regards to site reactions and dents since it is intramuscular. Are any of the other injectables that you've tried any better? Which interferon did you find to have the least side effects?

Thanks.
                          I had no injection site reactions from Avonex. The IM injections are not painful but I did need someone to give them. I was never able to get over the fear of the long needle and found the injector difficult to use. I am changing to Plegridy because I never stopped having the flu-like side effects with Avonex and I think I will be able to manage that better when it is only every other week rather than every week or in my case twice per week. My doc has always thought higher doses were better and that is why I have been taking double doses The larger doses of Plegridy should manage that better.

Comment

Thanks for your input on interferons, this will be my first time on one.

I am hoping the fewer injections combined with site rotation will help with the site reactions and even if the amount of dents increase, it will be slower.

I guess I should check in with MS Active Source and see if it was approved by my insurance yet and where things stand.
                            Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Has anyone started it?

just hoping to get some feedback before switching to it...many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X