ON affecting both eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ON affecting both eyes?

Hi: I am currently in my 15 week of ON and it has affected both of the my eyes. My ophthalmologist and my neurologist have both told me the same thing "When Optic Neuritis affects both eyes it is rare and usually takes longer to recover from". I had the IV steroid treatment for 3 days when the symptoms first started and I've recovered little bits of sight in my right eye, but not much has changed in the left eye. I'm still out of work and can't drive. I can see up close better than far away but I can't read for long periods of or I get a pounding headache. Has anyone ever experienced this for this long?

I have had ON in both eyes before. I think it took a couple of months to get better. I had 5 days of IVSM. It still took about 5 months to get to where I could see good. I still don't see well and it left me with optic nerve atrophy in both eyes. Bad news. So I can see now, but things are blurry still, just not as blurry, more like an almost double vision blurry. They say its the best it will get. I am thankful for that.

I sincerely hope you get better soon!

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I was just at the eye doctor's this week because of possible optic neuritis in both eyes. I have had multiple episodes of ON, but always only one eye. The eye doctor told me it's very rare to have bilateral ON, but it can happen.

In my right eye I have a modest size dark area just to the right of center, and the left eye has a very small dark area in the upper outer quadrant. I had visual fields testing done yesterday and the tech said I would get a phone call report in a week or two. I guess the test results couldn't be too bad.

Since neither eye has a very big deficit, I am able to do all my usual activities - work, drive, etc. I've had this going on about two weeks, and my other episodes have never lasted longer than 3 or 4 weeks. I hope it is not different since both eyes are involved. I'm not on any treatment.

Comment

ON affecting both eyes

thank you for the replies. I have noticed that it seems to be rare for the bilateral ON and unfortunately I am one of them. I first had ON in my left eye in june 2013, it cleared up in about 6 weeks after IV steroids, then in oct 2013 it came back in the same eye, I was away on vacation at the time so my dr. ordered oral steroids and I took them for 6 weeks. that bout of ON took longer to clear to up but it did. Only to come back in both eyes in july 2014.

This time it is so much worse. I am worried I won't be able to go back to work. I have a very visual job and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with the same thing. I'm only in my early 30s and I love my job. I can't drive yet. Here's to hoping it comes back soon.

Comment

My first episode of ON was in 1975, and my vision has always returned to completely normal eventually.''

I know I have been lucky, and I wish the same for all of you.

Comment

Working...
          X