painful legs at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painful legs at night

I have been waking up in the middle of the night with horrible leg pains. I assume it is from spasticity, but i hate it. Nothing seems to help. Anybody have this too?
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Painful legs

Hi, I have painful legs during the night too. I have found that Neurontin takes the edge off enough to go back to sleep but I think it is spasticity causing the pain.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Marilyn

Comment

Thanks Marilyn, I am on neurontin, but it may be time to up the dose. I will check into it.

Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I am working in a state that allows medical marijuana (MMJ). The doctor that works at the MMJ clinic told me that there are only two things that work to relax muscle spasm that is severe and causes chronic pain, at least chronic leg pain, which is what I asked him about because that is what bothers me.

The two things he said work: 1) Valium (diazepam) and 2) MMJ (well that is what the clinic is for, not a surprise). He said the other medications like gabapentin or tizanadine act centrally in the brain, while Valium or MMJ act locally at the muscle to make the spasm "let loose."

Valium makes me sleepy for the whole day, and I work full-time so that is out. I haven't tried MMJ, at least not yet, but I am thinking about it. I have been thinking that the gabapentin and tizanidine just make me so sleepy that I don't wake up from the leg pain. They don't seem to actually relieve the spasm or pain at all.

Comment

I have pain that wakes me in the night. It's like the leg muscles are burning. Feels like a bad sunburn, only deep into the muscles from my hip down to my ankle. It is worse on my left side, the side that was affected when I had a flare almost three years ago.

I've got diazepam and gabapentin. I take gabapentin (300 mg) every night before bed to take the edge off of the nerve pain. The diazepam was given to me when I was having severe contractions after my flare, but I don't have those anymore.

Like you, I think it's because of spasticity, and I wonder if I need to increase my gabapentin dose. I'm afraid the doc will tell me to take more baclofen to control the spasticity during the day, which I'm guessing leads to the pain at night when the muscles aren't being used. I don't want to take more baclofen.

Diazepam does help when the pain is too severe for me to sleep. I take 2.5 to 5 mg and it doesn't take long to work, 10 or 15 minutes. But it would be nice if I could find a way to prevent the night time pain in the first place.
          Portia

Comment

You're welcome, Lisa. I'm glad you started this thread. I'm learning a lot from everybody. Using diazepam makes sense but haven't tried it. I'm going to ask my Neuro about it.
            I would like real relief from the pain! Marijuana is not an option in my area.

Marilyn
            Marilyn

Comment

I had severe leg pain forever, Klonopin relieved it. When I stopped Klonopin I used mmj and reduced Klonopin slowly. Since, I use the mmj in my expresso/coffee daily, I guess that is why I am no longer troubled with those. But, the 'restless leg syndrome' is annoying.

My spasticity moves around to a different part of the body, when another settles down.

If you use mmj for the spasms, try to get a CBD rich strain(Harelquin/Cannatonic/Charlotte's Web and others-slowly becoming available), with low THC; I think you'll be able to treat the pain effectively and not have the 'high' associated with mmj.

I try to get my MD to solve it with prescription drugs, though. IF admitted to the hospital, I need to know I will have my symptoms managed. What I do at home, that's my business. fed

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                I am working in a state that allows medical marijuana (MMJ). The doctor that works at the MMJ clinic told me that there are only two things that work to relax muscle spasm that is severe and causes chronic pain, at least chronic leg pain, which is what I asked him about because that is what bothers me.

The two things he said work: 1) Valium (diazepam) and 2) MMJ (well that is what the clinic is for, not a surprise). He said the other medications like gabapentin or tizanadine act centrally in the brain, while Valium or MMJ act locally at the muscle to make the spasm "let loose."

Valium makes me sleepy for the whole day, and I work full-time so that is out. I haven't tried MMJ, at least not yet, but I am thinking about it. I have been thinking that the gabapentin and tizanidine just make me so sleepy that I don't wake up from the leg pain. They don't seem to actually relieve the spasm or pain at all.
                I have severe spasticity in my lower body and I use MMJ as my sole treatment. The MMJ works very good for all my symptoms, it does not completely relieve my spasticity anymore as it is just too severe, but it did for a long time and still reduces it greatly.

Comment

I having leg pain as I type and one good thing is ice yep that's right ICE IT HELPS NUMB THE PAIN

Comment

Hi 22Cyclist! In the winter here in Mich I've been getting such severe pain in my legs at night, like you, wakes me up. I normally do stretches and my excersise routine during the day. Whenever I feel I have the most energy. I tried mixing it up a bit and seems to be helping. About 7p.m. I've been saving my stretching for my thighs and calves and has given me more rest. It's been like -10-15 degrees this past week and legs have been miserable but I keep plugging with stretches. Try it! It can't hurt. I just hope it helps you even a little.

Feel better to everyone!
                    Susie Q.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS
                    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

P.S.

I take 1800 -2400milg. of neurontin throughout the day. Not every day. Makes me feel too loopy. But I do use at night.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                      RRMS
                      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Working...
                      X