I'm done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm done...

It's been a year since I've started my Avonex and I feel like I'm clawing up the walls of a dark hole. This drug just has made everything so dark and angry in my world that I don't think I can keep it going for much longer. Yesterday me and the man had quite a talk about how miserable the both of us are ever since I've started this drug. We're both just losing interest in each other despite still loving one another. I've talked to my neuro about stopping or switching and he seems to be happy with the results but I really am starting to think this isn't worth it.

Has anyone else stopped due to the mental health side effects and did you think it was worth it? I'm afraid I'm going to lose it all and I really don't want to start taking anti-depressants to help with the side effects. If you're still on it how did you and your partner cope with the lows?

For me, I didn't get depressed, I was just more fatigued. Treating fatigue helped more than anything. One was easily confused with the other in my case.

If you don't think this is the right medication for you, insist that your doctor help you try another option. It took me well over a year to adjust to Avonex, but not all meds are the right match for all people. You have to find what is right for you. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by canadiankait View Post
      Has anyone else stopped due to the mental health side effects and did you think it was worth it? I'm afraid I'm going to lose it all and I really don't want to start taking anti-depressants to help with the side effects. If you're still on it how did you and your partner cope with the lows?
      This happened to me many years ago. I was on Avonex for 6 years and the depression came on slowly, but insidiously. It took me awhile to realize what was happening. Eventually I went off the drug and switched to Copaxone and the depression lifted. I also experienced the flu like symptoms for quite a few years too, but didn't have the foresight to switch sooner as I was newly dx and didn't know any better. I also didn't know about MSWorld and didn't know where to turn for help. So, yes, to answer your question, it was well worth it to switch!

Only you can decide what is best for you and you have every right to inform your neuro know it is not working for you. There are now so many other DMT's available now. Sometimes you have to try more than one to find the right fit.

Good luck to you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I just read thru this thread and am glad I did as I am seriously thinking of Avonex. I have not had depression for a few yrs (at least not the mod-severe level) After reading about depression being a side effect and now reading this thread I think I will continue to look at other options. I have been on Ty and a few other drugs, and am currently on Copaxone but am having "needle-fatigue" with it so was looking in to other DMD options. Sorry this post is a bit confusing, but I am confused. :-(
        Peace to all,
        LM
        RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

One of the problems with being on any of these therapies is there are many unknown side effects. I can't imagine all of the possible side effects.
          I chose to be infused with Lemtrada, at the end of January. I feel fine and my attitude has turned much more positive! I hope that you find a treatment that works for you, soon! Good luck

Comment

Hi,
            Dealing with ms and all the meds etc is hard enough without increased depression on top.
            Pain aches and discomfort are some of the things a person is capable of pushing through but if depression is being caused by a med and it's swamping your ability to lead your life its doing the exact opposite of what you are taking it for and its time to stop.
            I would recommend not diving head first into taking another med though- let things settle and see how you go before subjecting yourself to the stress of choosing.
            All the best,keep us posted.
            Caroline

Comment

Working...
            X