Electric carts at the grocery store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric carts at the grocery store

My fatigue has hit again. It never really goes away but it is worse right now. I want to participate in my families life (I have 4 children, 2 over 20 yrs old and 2 under 8). I'm just way to worn out to walk much and getting groceries wears me out. They have the electric carts at the store but I am afraid to use them. I don't want people asking me or giving me dirty looks. How do you deal with that...if you do? I feel like I need some kind of identification so people won't judge me.

Conserve your energy for the important things.

Getting groceries can be so exhausting. Don't worry about other people. Some will judge you regardless of how you look or are identified. There will be some folks that will go out of their way to help you reach things or move out of your way then you'll have the more bold ones that think they are entitled to know why your using them. For those I just say I have MS and then go about my business. I've seen people who fit every description out there use them. Some had obvious problems, others looked perfectly healthy, but who knows, maybe they had COPD, heart problems or even MS. The point is, if it helps make your life easier and gives you even a little more energy then sit yourself down and ride! Your energy is to precious to worry about what someone else thinks.

Comment

Use the grocery store scooter! It took me awhile but I now use it all the time. I would not be able get thru the whole store without one. My husband goes with me to the grocery store. He pushes the cart while I shop with the scooter. I have not had one person give me a dirty look. I have had people ask me if they could help me get something off the top shelf (this is when my husband might be somewhere else in the store). When I've been by myself I have asked the bagger if he/she could walk out with me to the car and bring the scooter back for me. They don't mind. They help me put my grocerys in the car and take the scooter back in the store. I think they welcome get outside for awhile, lol.

Comment

For 4.5 years, I've been able to manage Costco and Albertsons with a hand cart to lean on. However, I've reached the point where I can see the electric cart in my future; I just need to get up the courage to make the switch. Walking has become more of a challenge as the MS progresses.

People have always been more than kind when it comes to assisting me; I think I just need to get over my own personal stigma of using the cart. I see myself getting there sooner rather than later.

Comment

I am in a wheelchair now, but I used to use those carts. People gave me odd glances from time to time but most often they would ask me what happened. They were not being nosy they were just being kind. I never did run into someone that was rude. There was even one elderly lady who said when I was pushing a cart one day instead of using the electric cart, "you must be feeling very well today"! You will feel a lot better doing this
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

who cares

sometimes I use one. sometimes I don't. It depends on the day. Same thing with the parking spot and how long I'm going to be in the store.

Now here a ? for you. I used the chain saw (electric med size can't pull gasoline one anymore) to take down two shrubs about 6' and trimmed about 15 azaleas in front yard before polar vortex hit. Now I've been down for two days doing nothing. Made chili in crock pot this morning that's it for two days period. Now tomorrow I'm planning on going to an event with my CASA work (Court Appointed Special Advocate) and then work around the house when I get home. Does this mean I'm lazy cause I was down two days?

Comment

Emotional Projection

I use the electric carts. I actually ran into an ex-girlfriend at the store while using a cart. Of course, she looked amazing and I felt like a *&!@*(!&&^~! We talked for a few minutes and she never asked about the cart. I asked her about and she said, "I thought you hurt your leg or something." It seems we often project our own thoughts, feelings, insecurities on others. Her response reminded me of why she was attractive to begin with. Of course, she cannot begin compare to my wife, but that doesn't mean she cannot still be great in her own right.

There will always be people that are snide and may snicker, but you aren't shopping for them. When I shop, I am there to buy food for my wife and family and not to get the approval of someone I might see of 13 seconds of life. You are shopping for your family and what they need is ever so much more important than some stranger with their own set of issues.

You don't bring home empty boxes of cereal to feed your family. You also don't need to accept any empty-headed commentary. Their issues, comments, thoughts, feelings, etc cannot further limit us, unless we let it. Be a discriminating shopper and be even more discriminating of what you allow to impact your life. So while I completely your concern, there isn't much reason to waste your precious energy on it. I always enjoy reading your posts and wish you well. Hang in there!

Comment

Yup. What Kalli said.

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
                Getting groceries can be so exhausting. Don't worry about other people. Some will judge you regardless of how you look or are identified. There will be some folks that will go out of their way to help you reach things or move out of your way then you'll have the more bold ones that think they are entitled to know why your using them. For those I just say I have MS and then go about my business. I've seen people who fit every description out there use them. Some had obvious problems, others looked perfectly healthy, but who knows, maybe they had COPD, heart problems or even MS. The point is, if it helps make your life easier and gives you even a little more energy then sit yourself down and ride! Your energy is to precious to worry about what someone else thinks.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

For the past several months I've used the electric carts, and I'm now really good at using them. I was very apprehensive about using one. I first tried the one at Sam's club, and it is a good place to start because of the nice wide, long aisles. I was a pro after that!

Don't care what people think anymore, you do what you need to do to get through the day without exhausting yourself. Give it a try, you will soon be proficient at driving one too. Beware the end of the aisles, lots of cross traffic, just like driving a car, lol.

Comment

You'll soon love it

I've had a hard time with this myself. Not so much when I'm out of town, but local grocery stores are a challenge. People who haven't seen me for a while seem so distraught to see me with a walker and I'll admit I've let this keep me at home, especially on days when I'm already feeling sorry for myself.

However (and here it is) I love shopping at Costco again because I can zoom around the whole store in less time than it took to go down one aisle with a cart. (Can be hard on the pocket book, tho). Shopping for groceries is exhausting - because you're not done when you leave the store! Using a scooter means I have enough "spoons" left over to put things away when I get home.

I've always been so independent, always the one helping others, and it's hard to be the one needing help. But it's about budgeting energy, and using these helpers means I get more done. Which means I feel more useful, am in a better mood, etc. Domino effect! It's still hard at times, but I just plaster a smile on my face and pretend there's nothing out of the ordinary to see. . And now I look forward to using them. Let's face it - they're kinda fun, too
                    Dx 1991, remission til 2007 so now SPMS.
                    Currently on Tecfidera and Fampyra.

"It is the possibility that keeps me going - not the guarantee." N. Sparks

Comment

This is something that I thought about when I was doing my worst. The reality is I needed it, but I had such a huge fear that I would be using one and run into someone I knew and I just couldn't have that, so I never used one. I remember once passing a surgeon I used to work with as I was walking down the aisle and my walking was really bad at the time (and very obvious which I found out when someone at the hospital asked me if I'd be able to walk to the MRI area) and I was so embarrassed that I turned my head the other direction and tried to walk as normally as possible, even though I couldn't. I also made sure he wasn't around as I walked out to my handicap spot when I was finished.

It wouldn't bother me if I was 20-30 years older, but I guarantee the judgment would be very high with me using one. I know it's stupid to let that bother me, but it does really get to me. Of course, my disability came on so quickly and out of the blue, and even though that was almost 2 years ago, I still can't accept it. I prefer to lock myself up in my house so I don't have to deal with those things.

I do know how crazy I sound and I will say it's best not to do things the way I've done (although I can't stop myself and refuse to take the help). Most of those people you'll never see again and it doesn't matter what they think.
                      Diagnosed 1/4/13
                      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I too get exhausted at the grocery store - especially in this season and over then next few weeks. It is tough - so I try to go late, around 9 or 10, and get in and out as fast as I can. I have used the electric cart when I need to. I just don't make eye contact with anyone if I can help it then I don't have to explain why I am in the cart. It is annoying when people stop to look - I think they are summing up a guess as to what is wrong. HAHA

Comment

First time today!

I was thinking about this post a lot this week. Today I went shopping for the groceries for my house. This means shopping at a few stores and I usually just lean on the carts and then sit in the car after the second store. This time I got in the cart at the third store. I made it through them all yhis time! It was kinda fun too. By the time I got finished at Walmart people knew they had to get out of my way cuz I am not a good cart driver.

Jkforrest reminded me that every concession we make we don't have to make everyday. It doesn't mean we lose. I went into all the stores today, so it was totally worth it.
                          You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

mostly good experiences

I have had mostly good experiences with the carts. I wish fashion stores carried them. My family will NOT push me in a chair and at 6 foot tall and 280 pounds I am a big female and wheel chairs for use in stores are for skinny butts....Mine isnt skinny. Nothing like friction burn on your butt to put things in perspective.

I see nothing wrong with using a "fart cart" as my old friends used to call them.....she uses one from time to time since she lost part of her foot to diabetes in her 30's. I am 42 and look younger (when I color my hair....LOL)

With a fart cart I can zip in and out do what I want to do where I want to do it. I can set the pace and not have to worry about slowing people down who are with me and feeling like a burden. I am FREE. I dont get as tired. I dont hurt as much. I am faster. I am in control.

Fearing driving them to me is strange. You can drive a car at speeds around 90 miles per hour but fear driving a fart cart at a snails pace. The controls take a bit of practice .....squeeze hard go fast so activate teh controls slowly to set the pace you want...sort of like the first time driving a stick shift......dont get scared and let go or you jerk forward then stop sudden....not fun.....jerking around hurts. Steering thingy is easy like a bike......there is even a little button for a horn. (sounds like a dying sheep....meep meep)

Most stores ...store their carts in a cart parking area that is fairly large.....use it for practice before going up and down aisle....you can drive them out the doors and practice on the walk way by the doors if you like.....

Personally I think they need cattle pushers (like on the front of a train) on the front of them when you are at Walmart.....LOL

My one bad moment and old woman got cranky when she came to me wanting to know if I was almost finished.....I was at the starting aisle just got there....she actually followed me when she saw me get on one....obviously she didnt see me walk before I got on.......she wanted met to follow her to the front and get off and give it to her. My mom got that look in her eye she wanted me to be nice even though I wasnt about to give in to the hag.

So I quit trying to muffle or is it muzzle my spazzing. I let it go free.....LMBO complete with head lolling and arm jerks. I stood up towering over her and reached for the peanut butter on the top shelf I couldnt reach sitting.....had to use my right arm since most of the time my left curls on my chest.

The woman looked horrified she even talked to me....she went hurrying off......my mom said I was mean scaring her.....I looked at mom and using a funny tone of voice as if my mind wasnt right (of course who is to say if it ever was).....I said "At least I didnt ask her where the short bus was so I could lick the windows".

Most dont care why we use them....I have seen kids playing on them....before I was sick....after I had to use them off and on for years from injuries......my brothers would get drunk and go to Walmart at like 3 am.....and get on them and drunk drive hollering and whooping it up for fun up and down the aisles. They dont get that beat up from simple responsible use.

We are handicap and we have to put up with a lot....from family.....and our own bodies betraying us. I refuse to let someone who doesnt know me and cant contribute to my life make me change the way I choose to live it. Let them put up with us. If they stare give em something to stare at....smile at them....LOL
                            I yam what I yam
                            and that's all
                            that I yam
                            ~Popeye

Comment

Knutcase:

Oh my goodness that was SO FUNNY! You have NO idea how BADLY I needed to read something like this! ROFLMAO! I used to be a flight nurse for pediatrics and we used to call out flight suits fart sacks!

I have my own scooter, have never driven one of the fart carts at the store but you better believe after this I am getting in one!

Thank you!
                              Lisa
                              Last edited by 22cyclist; 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
                              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                              Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X