Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vitamins promote exacerbations in multiple sclerosis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suffer multiple sclerosis for more ten years and I tested it on myself that the vitamins produce in my MS exacerbations.

The above is a statement, and I would like to see your comments and knowing about studies and research above statement .

I am not aware of anything. I know that one theory is that anything that boosts your immune system could result in a flare, as revving up the immune response could trigger MS flare (autoimmune response). But I am not aware of any studies to prove it.

Additionally, some vitamins may be needed. Since low vitamin D is theory as contributing cause, it is suggested MS patients take a higher than normal daily dosage of Vitamin D.

Maybe someone who knows more will be along. What vitamins seem to trigger your flares?
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I blame my ms and my disability to multivitamins and vitamin D1000 IU ; I consumed it for many years

I'm not eating these vitamins fifteen days ago and my MS exacerbation gone.

Comment

@ febausa

Hi

Are you saying that you felt better when you stopped taking the supplements?

Thanks
        Serena

Comment

Yes, I feel good when stop multivitamins and vitamin D.

Comment

It does seem counter-intuitive but you have to go with your observations. It would be interesting if you had blood levels from lab work that showed where your deficiencies were. Taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D without blood work is guess work not science.
            I am not a doctor but I would say that if you have had good results, keep doing what you are doing. Good luck

Comment

It's good that your symptoms have gotten better since discontinuing your vitamins.

My experience and what I've read in the literature has been the type, manufacturing, fillers, additives, etc. frequently contained in Most vitamins create reactions. And not the actual vitamin itself. Unfortunately, this is all too common.

It would take a lot of investigating to figure out specifics. A good starting point would be to use vitamins following/adhering to nationally recognized guidelines such as USP, GMPS....

But more importantly consuming a mostly organic plant based diet with plenty of quality fats and small amounts of very clean animal products.
              "The better you eat the less vitamins you have to take"
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Vitamins promote exacerbation in multiple sclerosis.

Very good documentary about damage produce vitamins.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

It is my understanding that no peer-reviewed, scientific data points exists to support this belief. Low-levels of vitamin D are a common finding in MS patients often leading to supplementation. One of the reasons why patients in northern climates have a higher incidence of MS is because the lack of vitamin D derived from the sun. In Iran, an explosion of MS among woman, is being partially blamed on a cultural movement led to women wearing more modest clothing and reducing their vitamin D levels.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...463584/?no-ist
                  http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitam...ple-sclerosis/

Scientists actually believe that having normal levels of vitamin D may slow MS, and/or delay the onset of MS.
                  http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...study-suggests
                  http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/f...02032014ms.htm
                  http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=1815002

Like with most vitamins, having too much can have negative consequences. Too much vitamin D is toxic for a human body, but the current belief is MS patients should supplement their Vitamin D levels to remain in the normal range. It is common that MS patients cannot normally absorb Vitamin D properly leading to ultra-high doses in the 50,000/iu range.

Like Tara, I believe if you eat better foods (getting your nutritional needs met via diet) is far better than resorting to unnatural sources for nutrition. It would not surprise me that people that getting off vitamins or supplements may feel better, especially if they were getting too much of any chemical, vitamin, etc.

febausa, I'm sorry, but I will have to disagree with your hypothesis, but there's no need to debate it. You believe it and that is what is most important to you. I'm just glad you believe that you are feeling better and I hope that trend continues. I wish you well!

Comment

Thank you Marco for your good feelings.

I only want to transmit my bad experience when taking multivitamins & minerals, and looking with my statement to help other people suffering from ms.

Unfortunately, it is not known which produces ms; but in my case after more than fifteen years I became aware that my ms caused me multivitamins & minerals.

I send letter to FDA, NIH, NIH/NINDS and other,requesting make studies into the multtivitaminas & minerals and its impact on multiple sclerosis.

Comment

I know that Flu shots cause flareups for me. I have only had 2 flare ups since being dx 10 years ago. Both times it was within 5 days of receiving the flu shot. I never had a flu shot until I was dx with MS. My doctor recommended it to me because of the MS. I had my first flare up with 5 days of the flu shot but did not think anything of it. I skipped a few years of flu shots but had one in October and then within 5 days I had a relapse. I know that this does not happen for most people but it happens for me. I won't ever get another vaccination. I have never been on vitamins but it seems plausible that they could cause a flare up. Everyone's MS is different and everyone's body reacts differently to the various things we put in our bodies.

Comment

MS is like a personality

MS is like a personality. No 2 personalities are the same. No 2 people with MS have the exact same MS. It differs from person to person.
                        I know that for the past 3 years. Everytime i fast for 30 days I feel like a whole new person. Actually I have felt the best I've ever felt in my life when i fast. No food or drink for 13 hours, working out in the sun when it's 95 degrees. Feels great. But, that's just me and I will continue to do this more often because it makes me feel better. During this time I only consume about 1500 calories per day. I don't really lose much weight when I do this either. My findings have probed a study into fasting. But then again...everyone has their own take on fasting which I simply cannot agree with.

My neuro also told me over a year ago that multi-vitamins have been linked to cancers and other health issues. But this is his opinion. He is also the one who convinced me to take Copaxone which put holes in my brain. I do take multi-vitamins right now off and on and was told that I need Vitamin D and B12 due to deficiency. But I am allergic to soy so I have to take a pill form of Vit D3 without soy.

Comment

Working...
                        X