KatieAgain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KatieAgain

I did file my claim with a VSO. However, I did not tell him about my MS because I was file for disability due to a service connected injury. I didn't even know I could that until I talked to another Veteran. He went on to explain the process so I got the ball rolling.

The doctor that completed the medical form classified me as 100% disabled. I filed on September 22 and have not heard anything as of yet. I know these things take time.

Do you think I should have mentioned my MS? It didn't even occur to me at the time.

Everything that I can cross is crossed. It would be a major blessing to have my VA medical benefits and to get a check would be icing on the cake. If I am fortunate enough to get 100% that would possibly allow me to quit work, which my Neurologist said I should have done some time ago, and file for SSDI. That would be a perfect world scenario but all know this is not a perfect world.

Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated. I saw someone had posted on my thread to go talk to my SS office and see about Medi-care but I am still working and I don't think I would qualify.

Thank you for your replies and interest and thank you for your service. Always nice to talk to a former USAF'er or Fly boy as we were called in my day.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Moderator-Please be so kind to move this into the vets forum. That way all the vets can see the answer....and add their input as well...because collectively all the MSWorld Vets have better answers. Thanks!

WDS

I think your VSO needs to know you have MS. Is it SC...I don't know. Did you start experiencing symptoms of MS within 7 years of discharge? Marco wrote a great synopsis on your other thread in the Vet Forum.

I'm guessing it is probably not service-connected. However, MS is a very expensive condition and it was my understanding that all Vets, whether SC or not could be treated for MS at any of the VAs MS Centers of Excellence.

I would still talk to your VSO though and at least let them get you in contact with the "right" eligibility personnel to get you in the system for your MS now. There should not be a wait for the disability rating, to get you treated. Treatment costs will exceed income in most cases for MS. And don't hold anything back...let them know about your medical benefit options or lack of. Work on getting enrolled into Alexandria, Shreveport or New Orleans. All three have MS Centers.

The whole income thing that you discussed in your other post in the Military Forum gave me pause. I have never heard of any vet being turned down for MS medical care. Not to say it's not so. While income limits are indeed imposed...MS drugs alone, not to mention MRIs, Wheelchairs, Scooters, etc...it will send someone to the poor house in no short order. Unless your name is LCDR ( R ) Montel Williams...who BTW is SC with MS...and that is a good think to have him on our team.

My guess is your income is probably going to get waived due to MS. And if you lose your job...at your age...then that would be an Unemployability Claim.

That should be enough to get this thread started. I hope Marco, Scooter, Bob and Gomer chime in on this as well.

Thank-you for your Service as well...
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Way; Not meaning to beat on you, but NEVER hold back info from your VSO.

They're trained to represent you within the VA buerocracy (and there's a lot if it). Think of it this way, they're the one person who's trained to be on your side. That's their job. Once you lose your credibilty with them or the VA, its very hard to get it back.

Your problem now is how to approach them again, tell them the whole truth, and hope they don't drop you into their "Oh, one of those guys.." pile. Your best bet now, IMO, is to tell your VSO "OK, so I was kinda confused and messed this up. Here's what's really going on..". Then keep your fingers crossed they believe you.

What Katie posted is very true. MS isn't cheap and there's good odds it will effect your employment status and lifestyle in the future.

For the time being, ignore the pension and S/C stuff. A good VSO will deal with that anyway. Be polite to the "outhouse lawyers" when they offer advice, but don't trust them.

Comment

Bob698

I didn't intentionally withhold information from the VSO. I had no idea I could any help from the VA with my MS. When I found out I could obtain help with my MS I went to see my local VSO. I told him I have MS and that it was my understanding I could get my VA benefits irregardless of income. He told me he had never heard of such a thing and referred me to the nearest clinic. I called them and they referred me to the VA Center in New Orleans. The lady I spoke with told me to call them and find out what information I needed to bring with me when I go meet with them. I have called them four times and have held for 11/2 hours each time. I have yet to get anyone on the home I even called early in the morning thinking that might be the best time all to no avail. But I will keep trying until I get what I want. I don't give up easily. Thank you for your advice.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
        X