Did your dr. treat symptoms before diagnosis? My pain is very uncomfortable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did your dr. treat symptoms before diagnosis? My pain is very uncomfortable

I'm in limbo land and feeling frustrated. The pain, spasticity, and parathesia in my lower legs has been bad this month and I'm having trouble relaxing and sleeping at night. It feels like someone is pulling on my calf muscles along with the sensation that bugs are crawling around my legs. I get the crawling sensation on my forehead and left side of my face too, almost 24/7 for the past 5 years but thankfully it's not painful or uncomfortable.

I was experiencing severe burning sensations in my upper back that was keeping my up at night but now thankfully after a few weeks that is gone.

What am I supposed to do? Tylenol and ibuprofin do nothing for me. Is it ok to ask my GP for some type of treatment for these symptoms even though I have no diagnosis? This is incredibly frustrating. Any advice?

Thank you,
    C.

Your doctor should be treating your symptoms, irrespective of whether you have a diagnosis or not.

There are many different drugs available to treat neuropathic pain/paresthesia's such as Gabapentin, Carbamazepine and some of the older tri-cyclic anti-depressants. These drugs alter the way the brain processes these sensations and provide relief. It can take a bit of experimentation to find what works for you, but it can be done.

Without drugs I have unbelievable itching, pain and spasticity etc so I'm very thankful they're available.

Best wishes

Poppy

Comment

Agree with Poppy

I have similar issues ... Zings, fasciculations that seriously interfere with sleep. I tried GABA, and had more success with Lyrica. I can only take it at night but I have residual daytime help as well. Without lyrica my legs bounce, I have lightning shocks, and fascs everywhere (I get reflux from them too -- fasciculations in my esophagus).

You absolutely should not go untreated for these symptoms. Lyrica really has helped me function (I loathe taking meds so I hate to admit it ). My gp was the one to prescribe them.

Hoping you can get some relief SOON!

Comment

Symptoms first

Pain is 10/10. Doc started me on a 3 day steroid IV session in hopes to get some relief. I have 5 ovoid lesions on the brain but in atypical areas. Trying to manage pain as well, with out much luck.

Comment

My neuro put me on 100mg of Amitriptyline.
          That drug worked like a charm.
          The problem was the weight gain.

I switched to Nortriptyline, and only took a small dose of it,
          The dose was 35 mg. The weight gain was not as bad, and it controlled my pain somewhat. I still need 250 mg of Tylenol at night with that.

The above two drugs are really old and generic.
          They are Tricyclic antidepressants.

Comment

I honestly never thought of treating symptoms without a dx until I read this and spoke with a friend who has a child who is a neuro patient and she asked if I'd been on xyz medication to try and treat my symptoms.

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I hope you can get some relief soon.

Comment

Yes. You can request a referral to a Pain Management Doctor or a Physical Medicine (PM&R)Doctor. Both types of doctor should be capable of helping you with your pain.

I wish you well ...

Comment

I had a neurologist that treated me for TN before I was diagnosed.

Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X