Falling asleep mid-conversation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling asleep mid-conversation??

This month, I began having odd speech interruptions. Not quite a stutter. Just stopping mid-word and struggling to get the rest out, and intention tremors began in my right hand. Intention tremors in my left hand have never been a big deal, but to suddenly have them in my right hand was concerning since it coincided with my speech problem. I didn't tell my neuro. I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac.

I've started a new job (in September) and I'm playing catch up, working long hours. Falling asleep at my computer at midnight is to be expected. But falling asleep mid-conversation? If I'm sitting still now, I'm in danger of falling asleep. Even at work. At a new job where they don't really know me, how dependable I usually am, or my health status. I don't technically have an MS diagnosis, and CIS just doesn't sound "that bad." Neither does RA but that's another conversation.
    CIS DX 2013

Hi ms382012,

Have you talked to your Neurologist about this? If not please do so. It is possible you are dealing with Narcolepsy.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Have appt in 2 weeks

My regular follow up was supposed to be last week. I had to reschedule. My intention tremors and speech issues are worse when I'm anxious, the exhaustion never ends. Falling asleep any time I'm sitting still, no matter what I'm doing, has gotten much worse. I've had sleep paralysis when waking up a few times over the years, the last episode a few months ago. Slept through alarms. Can MS cause narcolepsy?
      CIS DX 2013

Comment

Hi ms382012,

Yes, Multiple Sclerosis can cause Narcolepsy as well as other sleep disorders.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/9230

http://www.answersforsleep.com/sleep...and-ms-part-2/
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Me too

I also have tremors and it is true that they get worse with anxiety or high emotions....which just makes me more anxious to have my tremors worse. It can be a cycle.

Good luck!

Comment

Great. Stutter is worse.

The stuttering is worse. Hard to ignore or brush aside as just being tired or more anxious than usual.
            CIS DX 2013

Comment

ms382012,

Please contact your Primary Care Physician or your Neurologist to help determine what and why you are dealing with the current symptoms.

Take care
              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Appointment tomorrow

I'm having one heck of a Rheumatoid Arthritis flare thanks to the polar vortex and rain here in TN. My son is sick, have barely slept in days. My neuro appt is tomorrow. I think mentioning intention tremors and neurogenic stuttering when tired sounds like I'm being Dr. google. Hand jerking when reaching for something and stuttering sometimes when I'm tired.. I guess that's the best explanation.
                CIS DX 2013

Comment

He/she will pick up on the tremor when doing the neurological exam. The stuttering you can mention, but probably won't get much attention.

Good luck at your appointment, and let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Anxiety

Sure. It's anxiety. Nevermind that I've had anxiety pretty much all of my life, including panic attacks, and have probably been the least anxious of all this last year or so because I'm too damn tired. I really mean that. I had to get my drivers license updated this summer. I looked at the photo and didn't really recognize myself. There's no "me" in there. It's like I'm just waiting to check out. I barely have energy to get through what I have to do, and I know you all understand what I mean.

It hurts all the time, I just get flares. I'm tired all the time, it just gets worse at times. I just get through what I have to do until I can go to sleep. Someone at work commented that I never smile. So what?

So to hear that I somehow have anxiety? Wrong decade. Not anymore. I didn't seek out his help for this. I needed help for my migraines, he suggested MS, and he found lesions. The stuttering is new, the tremors are new, and he says they are anxiety. I hope he's right, I would just be more inclined to believe him if I were actually a bundle of anxiety. I'm not. If anxiety caused these symptoms, my 20s and 30s should have seen plenty of it.
                    CIS DX 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X