Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity in hands?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with MS in 2012 after experiencing symptoms for 4 years. Last Saturday in the shower I noticed my left hand began to feel odd. I thought it was the heat but it's gotten worse in the course of the week. I can hardly flex it and have a difficult time holding on to objects and hand rails. There have been a couple of times where I've almost dropped dishes and fallen going up and down steps. I'm at a point where I can only type with one hand.

I've experienced weakness in my hands before but I've never experienced this. It gets worse in cold air but I have no pain. I think this is a start of a relapse but I'm not sure yet. Am I experiencing spasticity? How long does it last?

Thanks.

Hi liesse1980,

Welcome to MSWorld! We are glad you joined us, but sorry about the reason why. I hope you find this to be a very informative and supportive site. Any tightness you feel in your hand would be considered spasticity. If you can get your hand around something but just can't hold onto it, that would be considered weakness. Your symptoms could very well be from a relapse. But, for some on us (myself included) spasticity and/or weakness is an ongoing symptom, so unless different from our "normal," would not be considered a relapse.

"Spasticity refers to feelings of stiffness and a wide range of involuntary muscle spasms (sustained muscle contractions or sudden movements). It is one of the more common symptoms of MS. Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. Spasticity may also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints, and can cause low back pain. Although spasticity can occur in any limb, it is much more common in the legs." You can read more here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

"An exacerbation of MS (also known as a relapse, attack or flare-up) causes new symptoms or the worsening of old symptoms. It can be very mild, or severe enough to interfere with a person’s ability to function at home and at work. No two exacerbations are alike, and symptoms vary from person to person and from one exacerbation to another. For example, the exacerbation might be an episode of optic neuritis (caused by inflammation of the optic nerve that impairs vision), or problems with balance or severe fatigue. Some relapses produce only one symptom (related to inflammation in a single area of the central nervous system) while other relapses causes two or symptoms at the same time (related to inflammation in more than one area of the central nervous system).

To be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. Most exacerbations last from a few days to several weeks or even months." http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses

You should contact your neurologist and inform him/ her about what is going on. Please let us know what they say.

Good luck. ,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for responding. I definitely feel tightness in my left hand and my fingers tend to stay curled. When I try to straighten my fingers out it feels like someone's trying to force my fingers down. I can't hold on to things because I can't seem to get a good grip on objects. It's been 8 days since it started and it hasn't improved. Nothing normal about this experience for me. I'm hoping my neurologist can help.

Comment

Hi liesa
        I have it in my hands, as you describe same everything in symptoms. Sometimes I try sitting on my hands to get my fingers to touch the palm of my hand, it won't budge. My knees lock up and I had them replaced, now we know it is MS and not the joints.

My legs and muscles along my spine have it, too. I recently started baclofen and pain medication, it does help but, trying to remain awake becomes a challenge, at times. I am however, sleeping much better and more restful. fed

Comment

Hi Liese 1980,

It sounds like it could be spasticity and weakness combined but your Neuro doctor would give you the best answer.

I have spasticity in hands at times where half of my hand locks up (cramps) and looks deformed for a few minutes. Then I have to press on it with the other hand to hopefully get it back to the normal shape; It hurts too. It is so weird, but that is spasticity and it has also happened to my toes and feet.

I have a lot of leg spasticity, which can also cause weakness but I have noticed my daily fatigue causes more weakness.

Do you have daily fatigue? There could be a connection with the hand weakness.
          Nikki

Comment

Hi Nicoly3467,

I do feel fatigue. I usually can walk for about two hours before feeling fatigue but these days I'm lucky to walk for twenty minutes without needing to sit. Overall, I feel poorly. The left side of my body from the waist up feels numb and my right leg always feels weak. I think this is the worst it's been in the six years I've had MS.

Comment

Hi Liese 1980-

I am sorry to hear about the numbness and weakness you have. That must be very hard.

I can relate with not being able to walk too far and fatigue can make it worse; Actually, it can make any MS symptom worse.

On good days I can walk one mile and most of the time less than that due to leg weakness and spasticity. I can only stand for about 30 minutes and I have to sit down so I totally understand. For exercise now I bike ride or use the elliptical machine at the gym which allows my legs to slide and there is no impact. I am grateful I can do this.

It seems since I have had MS, everything in my life has been modified in some way.
              Nikki

Comment

Working...
              X