Soft-tissue Mass Found in MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft-tissue Mass Found in MRI

I recently got the results of my one year follow up MRI. I was diagnosed in December of last year at 24 following a bout of optic neuritis. At the time I had a brain MRI and a cervical spine MRI, and repeated those last week!

The good news is that my medicine (I'm on Tysabri) seems to be helping! No new lesions and the lesions I had have decreased in size! HUZZAH!

The bad news is that apparently last year, on my cervical MRI they found a "mass" of some sort in the soft tissue of my neck... NOT in my spine!... that at the time they wrote off as a swollen lymph node. On that MRI it was approximately 1.5 cm in length, and since last November it has grown to 1.8 cm in length, so now they say that they cannot rule out that it is not a "blahblahblah-oma" and that I have to get a biopsy.

I had a little trouble taking all this in, hence the lack of detail (I'm bringing a possee to my appointment so someone is there to write down the things I need to know that I will probably block out) though I must say I am SOOOO enjoying this new annual "Fear For Your Life Event!" that goes on in October.

Has any one else had things like this found on their MRIs. What was it? A swollen lymph node? A Cancer? or just a soft tissue anomaly?

Biopsy on Tuesday next week, so obviously they aren't too rushed! :/ :/ I'm trying very hard not to panic....

Dear aislinngrace,
    So sorry to hear about your MRI result. Very scary, I am sure.

My last MRI showed a "meningial tumor" (SP) at the top of my brain near the juncture between the two hemispheres. My neurologist said these were usually slow-growing and because of my age (67), I would probably not live long enough to experience any trouble from it. A mixed message for sure! I also researched and discovered that these surface tumors are not unusual and are usually benign.

I know this is not what your MRI is revealing, but I hope it is equally harmless. Good luck.

In late 2011, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and had a double mastectomy in January 2012. It was a rough ride, and I understand what you are saying about a "Fear for Your Life Event." So far I am recovering well, cancer-free for almost three years. Several of us here had breast cancer around that same time and posted our stories in installments on this message board.

My thoughts are with you. I know MS complicates everything.
    Take courage.

Stay lifted,
    Mermaid
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

All okay, with a new scar!

Hi all!!! First, thank you for your support and stories. I wound up not having a biopsy but having the tumor completely removed after a neurosurgeon looked at it. So, I've been recovering from essentially being stabbed in the back of the head and neck for the past two weeks. I'm in quite a bit of pain, but turns out it was BENIGN. Actually, really rare: a synovial giant cell tumor, which usually occurs in your hands. NOT ME! Mine was no where near any synovial membrane, an encapsulated little marble separate from my muscles and my spine next to my C1 + C2.

Anyway, good news all around. I have a giant Frankenstein scar and a sort of weird under-shaved hair style which my boyfriend says "could be considered stylish, if I was punk." I just wish I hadn't been so worked up about it--enough that my hair has been falling out in clumps and I've been having palpitations in what I am dubbing "the come down period." ANXIETY ISSUES. -- though that was hard not to be worked up about given my family history and general all-around luck with good diagnoses.

You know what they say about hindsight, I need all the hair I can get right now.

<3

peace

Comment

Working...
      X