Oral Contraceptives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral Contraceptives

I have a question for any women who are taking birth control.

Does the oral contraceptive effect your MS symptoms or progression?

I recently read that there is enough anecdotal evidence about women going into a "remission" while pregnant to prompt research into this area, i.e., using oral contraceptives to treat MS.

Hi Jade Divine,

I was 24 years old when diagnosed (1985) and I was on Birth Control. I only went off BC to get pregnant. I permanently went off BC in 1991 when I got pregnant with my 2nd child. I had a tubal ligation after the birth.

I never saw any difference in my MS on or off BC.

A few years ago I went on a continuous BC to intentionally stop my periods (non-MS related). Physically I felt great, emotionally not so good., I ended up having depression and being suicidal due to the BC. I stopped taking BC.

It is not uncommon for women with MS as well as those with other health conditions to experience an increase of symptoms before/during ovulation and before/during menses. This is simply due to hormonal fluctuations.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X