Vitamin D level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D level

Vitamin D level 30's; treated; 70's,; maintenance daily dose 2000-3000U; level down again 40's--any input? I was told a good level when one has MS is at least 70!

Mine goes up and down too. I have to take 5,000 to keep mine at an acceptable level. You can ask your physician about going up, or you can ask about taking 50,000 a week. That usually does it for most people.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I take 10,000 units one day and 5000 the next to maintain my level of 80.

Comment

And I take 8,000-10,00 units to maintain a level of 76.

You might want to increase your dosage from the maintenance level you're on and then be sure you have your levels checked again. Some Vit D rich foods you will want to incorporate into your diet are fish, fortified milk and OJ and cereals.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Last year when I got mine tested I was at 22. My Dr. told me to take 5000 units a day. I started doing only 4000 and when I told my Dr. she said I needed to be doing 5000. I did not know it would really make that much of a difference. Well not even a year later my levels are up to 56. So you probably just need to increase your daily intake but do be careful because this is one of the Vitamins that you can have too much of.

Also, some medications will not absorb Vitamin D correctly. I have a friend and his is always low no matter how much he takes because of an anti-depressant he is on. That is something to look into also.
          ~Lindsey

Comment

My Neuro Had Me Stop Taking Vitamin D

I was only taking 4,000 units, but my blood work said my levels were too high and if I didn't stop it would reach toxic levels in my system. I hate not taking it anymore, I feel so vulnerable. However, I learned about it and it's good he caught it; it could of been a very bad situation had it gone toxic.

I just Purell like it's going out of style and don't take any Vitamin D. At my next visit I'm going to request he check my levels and see where I'm at, if it's viable for me to start a Vit D regimen again. I don't like being off of it, but the cons outweigh the pros. I've been off Vitamin D for about 1 - 1 1/2 years now I think.

Interesting what you said about other meds affecting how it is absorbed, I will be asking him about that as well since I am both on some new and off some other medications now than I was on then. Thanks for the heads up!

~Jenna
            RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
            Best MS Support System Ever
            7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Vitamin D level

Thanks for the helpful responses! MP

Comment

@ Jenna

Hi Jenna

I just read your post. Can I ask you if you were showing any possible signs of vitamin D toxicity and if so what they were? Thanks

Serena

Comment

Vitamin D Toxicity

Hi Serena

I wish I had an answer for you, but I didn't even have any clue or anything about that I was in such a situation. I felt normal, everything seemed normal *shrugs* I don't know, I just know that I was told what my situation was and to stop it immediately. I don't think I really wanted to know to be honest with you. However, now part of me does as my last labs came back from my regular doctor with low D levels. I go see my neuro#1 tomorrow; he's the one that monitors my blood work and stuff so I'm going to bring it up to him even though it was neuro#2 that said to stop it. (long story hehee)

Wish I had an answer for you. I wish now I had an answer for myself too!

Take care and good luck fighting the fight!

~Jenna
                  7/42 - 12/12

Comment

vitamins

I blame on my multiple sclerosis and my disability to multivitamins and vitamin D.

Comment

At the time of DX my D (and b12) levels were extremely low. I have been taking 12,000 both in the morning and evening. I just did my annual know your numbers for annual employee insurance renewal and I am only up to 59 on my D. I take 5,000 units of b12 (sublingual) and my levels were up to 1,999 (I could probably move to every other day). Dr. says whatever I am doing keep it up.

Comment

You have done a good job with your vit. D levels. I don't know where B-12 levels should be. Now you need to determine where a good maintenance level is. I take 5000iu daily and that seems to work for me to help me maintain my levels above 60.

Comment

Vitamin D Update

Hey there everybody Well, I go get blood work done on the 20th of this month (Nov.) and am excited to see if my levels are low so I can get back to taking it. I feel like a target knowing I'm not taking any Vit D Hopefully my levels will be normal or not too high. They said they dropped after a month or so, and I'm like "I've been off the D for almost a year!!" Hopefully I will have good news to report as I see neuro #2 with the results on the 9th of Dec. I'll let y'all know what I ask, what he says, and what path I will be taking.

Good luck to all of you and see you here again next month!

Happy Holidays I'm startin' early heh

~Jenna
                          7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Hi Jenna

Will you please post your results when you get them?

Thanks again

Serena

Comment

When I started Tysabri, my Vit D levels went to 250+!

I showed no signs of toxicity....to the contrary, I felt really good. But had to go off the Vitamin D for awhile.

I now take 7,000 IUs a day to maintain my level in the 70s.
                              Katie
                              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                              "My MS is a Journey for One."
                              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X