X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vit D and the immune system

VIRUS

We have no protection against a virus.
    What we can have is a strong immune system to evolve and get ahead of any virus to survive it.

vitamin D helps modulate the immune system.
    It can strengthen a weak system and reduce or calm an overactive system.

•Persons with auto-immune disorders usually have very low vitamin D levels.
    •Since the early 19th century vit D was identified as a treatment for Tuberculosis.
    •Through its ability to activate ‘antimicrobial’ peptide genes in the body, vit D has an antibiotic effect.
    •Vit D is especially protective for mucus membranes- (we contract virus's through our mucus membranes)

Although normal blood ranges for 25-hydroxyvitamin D are 30-80ng/dl; optimal blood levels of vitamin D are in the 70-90ng/dl range.
    Research for neurological disorders such as Multiple Sclerosis suggest levels nearer 110ng/dl to reduce relapse rates. (1)

For the past few years my experience has been that many patients need to continue doses of 15-20,000 I.U.'s/day of vitamin D3 for several months in order to raise their blood levels into optimal ranges.
    I routinely recommend daily doses of vit D in the 4-8,000 I.U. - this seems to keep most patients in the optimal range.

Have your vit D checked at least once a year. I recommend patients check in the Fall and Spring when levels may be high and low.

1. Simpson, S., B. Taylor, L. Blizzard, A.-L. Ponsonby, F. Pittas, H. Tremlett, T. Dwyer, P. Gies, and I. A. van der Mei. 2010. Higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with lower relapse risk in MS. Annals of neurology in press.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Thanks for your advice on vitamin D levels and so forth.
    I have been a proponent of testing and optimizing vitamin D levels since I was diagnosed in 2009. I believe that people with MS need to keep their levels higher than 'healthy' people.

Comment

I also want to thank you for that information.

I know now I want to get mine up a little more. In April of this year, I was in the low 60s. I was taking 10k a day.

Pkar2

Comment

Working...
      X