MS Related Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Related Anxiety

Anxiety - how is everyone effected by it? I am extremely bad - to a point where this generally prevents me from going out. I have had to cancel doctor appointments numerous times because of this. My anxiety attacks tend to 'trigger' my worse symptoms. At this point, my spasticity is my worst symptom, but anxiety attacks always seem to overrule any kind of spasticity medications I may be taking. I try to take some anti-anxiety medication (up to two .50mg Alprazolam pills) when I feel the need coming on, but they don't seem to do anything to help. Am I the only one running into this issue? If not, how do you guys deal with this problem? Please give me some suggestions, any questions are welcome.

It sounds like you may need a anti-anxiety medication that is used on a daily basis and not "just as needed."

There are many different medications that can be tried for anxiety/panic attacks, please speak with your Dr. or consult with a Psychiatrist.

The medications used for anxiety is the specialty of a Psychiatrist. Psychotherapy is also beneficial in conjunction with medications.

Anxiety/panic attacks have many of the same symptoms as those we experience in MS. So it can become difficult to know what is a symptom of anxiety and what is in actuality the MS.

I suspect if your anxiety/panic attacks are better controlled your spasticity will return to what is more normal for you.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Welcome, Sablick. You may wish to introduce yourself on our Introduce Yourself board: http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

I'm sorry to hear that your anxiety haws not been controlled by the Alprazolam. Perhaps the best recourse is just to go back to your physician and request that you try something else, since it is not working. If you are currently using a primary care physician for that, maybe, as Snoopy suggested, a psychiatrist would be a better option, as you haven't experienced success thus far.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, anxiety can be crippling. MS is crippling enough, we certainly don't need anything else!

If you haven't ever thought of meditation, now is the time (of course in conjunction with any meds your doc prescribes). I suffered debilitating driving related anxiety when my first daughter was born 27 years ago. I felt like a freak, didn't tell anybody, didn't know it was anxiety. Then one day I actually blacked out, in the Burger King drive thru, with all 3 of my kids in the car (yes, this went on for over 4 years).

Got therapy, took anti anxiety meds and began meditation, especially helpful when I knew I'd be driving out of my comfort zone, I'd meditate first.

It took quite a few tries, then a bit of practice, then it began working. Could literally blanket myself in calmness.

Funny thing... due to loss of vision I don't drive anymore! I still meditate though. I hope you get this dealt with soon, it's horrible to suffer from.

Please keep us posted!
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

have you tried cymbalta

Cymbalta sometimes helps neuropathic pain (spasticity) and it's also an anti-depressant-might help your anxiety

Comment

Working...
          X