Is this ms hug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this ms hug?

I have been experiencing a tightness just under my ribcage. It has been mild but noticable. Then one night about a month ago I had it again, but this time it radiated to my back and had sharp pains that felt like it was in my spine. It lasted for hours, then went away for about a few weeks. Then tonight I started feeling like I was having trouble swallowing, and that was uncomfortable, then I began having a feeling of the tightness under my rib cage that then moved around my waist and upper abdoment. It felt like the contractions I use to get when I was pregnant, like a moving muscle contraction, not really painful but tight and constricting. Then it became really annoying and my stomach felt really tight. My partner suggested that it was muscle related so I took some baclofen and it relieved it almost 90 percent. What a relief, I was almost ready to go to the ER, the tight contraction was really scary. Anyone know if this is the hug? and how long does it last, weeks? months?

Hi rose54,

The MS Hug is the name given to a “band-like” sensation that feels like a tight strap or girdle wrapped around the torso area. This sensation, which can be felt from as low as the waist to as high as the neck or jaw, is the result of the tiny muscles between the ribs – known as intercostal muscles – going into spasms. While small, these muscles are important because they help to keep the ribs in place, while also allowing for flexibility and movement.

The severity and sensation of the MS Hug may vary from person to person. Some may describe a constricting sensation or intense pressure, whereas others may experience a tickling or tingling feeling, a sharp, dull, or burning pain. These sensations may be localized or spread throughout the torso area. Rarely, this sensation can become so severe that it may interfere with breathing and cause chest pains, similar to the feelings caused by a panic attack or a heart attack. Stress, fatigue, and an increase in core body temperature can trigger this symptom, which may last a few seconds or persist for minutes to hours or longer.

The MS Hug is not specific to MS. It can also occur with spinal cord inflammation, as in transverse myelitis. If you are experiencing the MS Hug, talk to your doctor. An MRI may be required to rule out other conditions, such as heart or gallbladder problems, lung disease, gastro-intestinal disorders, or inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs.

TREATMENT OPTIONS

Medications are available to treat the symptoms of the MS Hug. These include antispasticity medications such as Baclofen (lioresal), Valium (diazepam), Lorazepam, and Zanaflex. Also, neuropathic pain relief medications such as Lyrica (pregabalin) and Neurontin (gabapentin) can provide some relief. When the MS Hug is associated with relapse, solumedrol, IVIG or Novantrone may be prescribed.

COMPLEMENTARY TREATMENT OPTIONS

Deep breathing, creative visualization, meditation, yoga, Alexander Technique, and massage can prove helpful for some people. Others gain relief by wearing loose clothing and increasing fluid intake. Analgesic creams and ibuprofen, used moderately and in combination, can be beneficial at symptom onset. Heat, such as a warm bath or heating pad, improves the symptom for some people and exacerbates it for others. Applying pressure, either with the flat of your hand or by wrapping the area with an Ace bandage, has also been known to provide some degree of relief.

Talk to your doctor and see if you can develop a management plan to help keep the MS Hug at arm’s length.

http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=381
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I believe that is the hug. it feels like a belt tightening. I have had that but mine only lasted a couple of days.

Comment

[QUOTE=rose54;1462768]I have been experiencing a tightness just under my ribcage. It has been mild but noticable. Then one night about a month ago I had it again, but this time it radiated to my back and had sharp pains that felt like it was in my spine. It lasted for hours,

I just couldn't believe what I read as I was reading your post!
        I felt as though I written it! I get that exact same excruciating pain!!! I cry when it gets this bad, and ask God to take me. And I can tolerate a lot of pain, but not this one! I've had this 4 times so far within the past few months. They literally went to a spam and contracted for 5-10 minutes each time for 1 hour this went on for. I can't move or anything. I have to lay on my bed on my back and lay their crying in exhausting pain. Im already taking 2400 mg a day of gabapentin, I'm on the baclofen and many others for this rotten disease.
        I hope you can find relief, and if you do let me know what you did! Blessings to you!

Comment

Working...
        X