Can you get back/shoulder spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get back/shoulder spasticity?

Never had this before, but with most recent exacerbation I have had a lot of upper back and shoulder stiffness. It is really uncomfortable and stretching and massage are the only things that makes it feel good.

I have left leg weakness and spasticity so I am wondering if this is related or something else. Could MS cause this? Would it be related to a lesion on spine?

Hi Jennagain,

Sorry to hear this. But, yes, your pain could very well be from spasticity. A cervical spine lesion is probably the culprit.

Back pain is what set me on the path for my diagnosis. Neck and shoulder pain on what is now my weaker side was one of my very first symptoms.

From the NMSS:

Pain of spasticity has its own subcategories. Muscle spasms or cramps, called flexor spasms, may occur. Treatments include:

Medication with baclofen (Lioresal®) or tizanidine (Zanaflex®), ibuprofen, or other prescription strength anti-inflammatory agents.
    Regular stretching exercises and balancing water intake with adequate sodium and potassium, as shortages in either of these can cause muscle cramps.
    Tightness and aching in joints is another manifestation of spasticity, and generally responds well to the treatments described above.

Back and other musculoskeletal pain in MS can have many causes, including spasticity. Pressure on the body caused by immobility, incorrect use of mobility aids, or the struggle to compensate for gait and balance problems may all contribute. An evaluation to pinpoint the source of the pain is essential. Treatments may include heat, massage, ultrasound, physical therapy and treatment for spasticity.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...-Symptoms/Pain

I hope the pain soon becomes a memory for you. Talk to your doctors.

Good luck ,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Other thing I've only just noticed, is pain in my shoulders and back from staggering about wall-walking, going from something to grab to something else to grab.

And adjusting my teetering balance at the end of each step, which kind my strains things.
      Yes, there's wheelie the walker but that often feels like I'm holding all my weight on my arms and shoulders.

Comment

Hi-Spasticity can happen anywhere in the body and it can surely occur on the back or spine.

I have one cervical lesion on spine (back of neck) that causes neck, back & leg spasticity, in addition to a handful in my brain, which I am sure contributes to this.

Stretching does help as you said and walking if you are able to do that.
        Nikki

Comment

Working...
        X