shoulder problems a part of MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoulder problems a part of MS?

A dear friend of mine with MS underwent shoulder surgery about 6 months ago. Fast forward to me. I was diagnosed with MS about 6 months ago, and now have an MRI that show full thickness rotator cuff tear just like she had.

How many have had rotator cuff injuries to their shoulders that they can relate to MS?

Thanks,

Cptmelissa
    Diagnosed April 2014, first symptoms around 1998.
    Melissa

Hello cptmelissa and welcome to MSWorld.

MS does not cause injuries or tears to the Rotator Cuff. MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS). This includes the brain, optic nerves and spinal cord.

I had a partial tear to the rotator cuff several years ago. It was due to an accident. The only connection to MS was brain fog. I was on a treadmill and accidently pushed the wrong speed.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

While shoulder problems are not a part of MS, there may be a connection. I'm on round two of frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis, last year on the left side, now on the the right. It's super painful, especially when trying to sleep. The physical therapist I'm seeing told me on my second visit that she did some research and found a study that found higher incidence of frozen shoulder in those with diabetes and with autoimmune diseases. The study did not call out MS specifically.

Comment

I have right side weakness, and one thing I did was try to accommodate for that. I did injure my shoulder (rotator cuff) as I automatically tried to use my shoulder to make move ya that would have normally been done with my fingers/hand.

Not directly ms but definitely secondary to weakness. My physiotherapist was a great help in fixing the issue (mine didn't tear) and teaching me preventative techniques so I didn't overuse it unthinkingly.

Comment

2 frozen shoulders

Is what lead to the MRI, which lead to more MRI's which lead to lumbar puncture which lead to the surprising diagnosis of MS.
          Correlation? Neuro says no, physical therapist says yes.

Comment

Working...
          X