Probiotics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probiotics?

Does anyone know if probiotics are safe for us with MS? I have gastritis and IBS and am constipated a lot. I thought I'd try probiotics but I also read that people with immune disorders maybe shouldn't take them.

Any ideas?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Does anyone know if probiotics are safe for us with MS? I have gastritis and IBS and am constipated a lot. I thought I'd try probiotics but I also read that people with immune disorders maybe shouldn't take them.

Any ideas?
    I don't know if you should or shouldn't take them when you have MS, someone else will have to answer that.

I have similar issues with my stomach & bowels and I tried taking probiotics for over a year with no noticable difference. I bought a good brand and followed the directions on the label.

Comment

My two cents

I eat some sauerkraut, unpasteurized, every day. It contains probiotics and it's a LOT less expensive than buying probiotic supplements.

Comment

I also have GERD and found probiotics sooo helpful. I hardly have any acid reflux now as I did before. Continued daily reflux is so damaging to the esophagus and sets you up for more problems.

I swear it is more helpful. Never heard of not taking this if you have MS.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm never sure what I'm reading. Lots of opinions out there.

I like sauerkraut. What about yogurt?

Jan my PH test did not show a lot of acid, but I guess that could be something to do with the fasting before the test. I have gastritis and a somewhat loose lower esophageal sphincter.

I can't see how probiotics could hurt either.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti, I never heard that probiotics were bad for people with MS. Both my gastro and my primary suggested I take them.

I have IBS, and have had part of my colon removed after severe diverticulitis. I also have problems with constipation. I've been taking Align for several months and I think it does help. You should try it for one month, and not waste your money if it doesn't help after that, as it's quite expensive. I'm experimenting with a newer, less expensive, brand called InSync, but I haven't been on it long enough to notice a difference yet.

Comment

I've tried several different probiotics. My current one is Floristor, which is really pricey. I notice a huge difference when I first start a probiotic, then it tapers off. I think my body just gets used to them.

But I don't dare quit taking them. Afraid it will really "muck up the works"!
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Brenda, I definitely agree--they seem to help at first, then not so much, but I'm afraid to stop!

Florastor, which is one of the most expensive brands, is a yeast probiotic, different from the typical kind. It can be taken with antibiotics as it isn't killed by them, and that's its usual use. I've taken it when I was being treated with antibiotics for diverticulitis, and after hospitalizations because it helps to prevent C-diff. It isn't as helpful for IBS and constipation as Align, Culturelle, or InSync.

Marti, yogurt is good, but you'd have to eat a LOT of yogurt to make any difference.

Comment

Probiotics

So, there hasn't been any comment on this in a long time.

Has anyone done any research on probiotics.

I am currently taking "Phillips" Brand. It contains 3 types of bacteria. Basically price is the main reason I chose it compared to the that is the only reason I chose it opposed to the Florastor mentioned previously--which sounded like it had solid supporters.

Florastor sounds like it might only contain yeast and not bacteria? I"m really not terribly knowledgeable about this, so any of you who have done research on your own and can comment are appreciated.
                  RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
                  (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
                  Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

MSers have a different micro biome profile. Yes, I take a probiotic with as many different strains as possible. Make kimchi- need to be better about eating some every day. Be aware that pasteurized sauerkraut has NO live bacteria.

Evidence is piling up that diet and MS have a connection and somewhere around 70% of the immune system is in your gut, so it´s not that hard to imagine a connection.

The works can "muck up" from eating foods that are hard for you to digest. Motility - rate of food moving through the intestinal highway is to some extent under our control- not the nerve function, but eating more fiber than the average bear and eating less flour- GF or otherwise and no cheese- moves it all along at a reasonable rate. Drink more water, tea or coffee if the works are clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                      MSers have a different micro biome profile. Yes, I take a probiotic with as many different strains as possible. Make kimchi- need to be better about eating some every day. Be aware that pasteurized sauerkraut has NO live bacteria.

What probiotic do you take?
                      (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)

Comment

probiotics....stool changes...? (sorry if TMI)

It seems like overall there hasn't been too much conversation related to probiotics. I continue to be a little confused by them. I think there is benefit in taking them, but I have yet to find the "right one."

I was taking "Phillips Colon Health." It only contains 3 strains of bacteria with a total of 1.5 billion cells. On this, my stools were overall normal, I would say well formed for the most part. However, I would have episodes of diarrhea maybe between 1-3 times a week.

The somewhat regular diarrhea led me recently to think, "Maybe I should try a different Probiotic." So, I tried to research them a little. I came to the conclusion that a "good probiotic" generally has more than 3 strains of different bacteria, and also should have a lot more than 1.5 billion live probiotic cultures.

So, I finally ended up starting a new one this week. It is Nature's Bounty, Ultra Strength Advanced Probiotic 10. It claims to have 10 probiotic organisms with 20 billion live probiotic cultures. I've been taking this for about 3 days, noticing a change in the type of bowel movement in the last day or so.

My stools are now very "narrow" sort of like the width of fingers. This is a lot more narrow than they had been. They are also squiggly (and wormy like). I know this is really TMI and sorry to be going into all this. But I really just do not understand. I think I am on a "better" probiotic, but I think this change is not indicative of "better" bowel health. I'm wondering if this is a "normal" change in adapting to the new probiotic. Anyway, I find it very strange and would appreciate any knowledge that anyone has on this. When I have looked it up online, most jump immediately to "thin stools" being a warning sign for colon cancer. I'm really not particularly worried about that, as this really just started WITH the change in probiotic.

Or maybe I really do not need to be taking a probiotic or should switch back to the Phillips.

Input here really appreciated. Again, sorry for the grossness related to the topic.

Also, I am including a link that "ranks" probiotics. They seem to be a lab that is not financially connected to any of the brands...
                        https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics

Comment

I just wrote something about the Probiotic I use - it's in this thread (posts 16 and 18) http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...tipation/page2 You can read my testimony/experience. And in no way am I connected to this company.

Interestingly enough, it's near the top of the list you gave, teekybird. #2 for highest quality and #3 for best value. It's called NOW foods probiotic 10.

I'm so happy my adult son turned me onto it
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Seasha,

Thanks for the reply. I did read your other posts about the probiotic. I think I am going to try to order the one you suggested on amazon. I feel like the one I recently switched to might not be the one for me, but I will give it a few more days.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply and the suggestion. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Teekybird,

I tried a few different brands of Probiotics with the same negative results (diarrhea and stomach cramps, excess gas). I have had this same reaction when eating yogurt or using a powdered multi-vitamin that had Probiotics in it.

I really liked the powder multi-vitamin but as soon as I started getting diarrhea and stomach cramps I took a closer look at what was in it. When I saw Probiotics I knew that was the problem Quite simply, some people do not do well with Probiotics.

I do hope the next Probiotic you try is the one that you can tolerate, but know there are others out there that have had a negative reaction to Probiotics.
                              Diagnosed 1984
                              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                              X