No announcement yet.

Hip Flexion Assist Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope it works out for you, Jerry! Maybe I'll look into it myself.

Spelling of Pittsburg(h)--if we were living sometime between 1890 and 1911, your spelling would have been correct. During those years, there was no "h". Why did we do that? Just to confuse the people in Eastern PA, I guess.

Ah, Primanti Brothers sandwiches piled high with coleslaw and French fries--I do believe I could gain five pounds just by smelling one of those!
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

I just got fitted with my HFAD, yesterday afternoon. I wore it for about 4 hours to get acclimated to it. As soon as I put it on, I began to feel my right leg, which is the most problematic, move more easily. I find that the device is easy to wear but it is a bit awkward to put on. The waist belt can shift around and takes repeated adjusting. It's like a weight lifters belt fastened with 'hook and loop' (velcro). It definitely helps keep my toe pointed up and forward.
      So, I can say that I am using it today and I am moderately optimistic. I will say this, in the interest of 'full disclosure', that I did fall on my face directly after I left the fitting. I didn't get hurt. I used my hands and arms to break my fall. Was I lucky ! I was fatigued after walking around the fitting office for about an hour. When I was walking to the car, I had to walk about another 100 feet and down 4 steps, I was walking in front of the car to reach the passenger side. I fell down, face down in the driveway. This time my 'good foot' dragged and tripped me!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accidump, Jerry. :-( I fell a few weeks ago in the lobby of the building where I work, so not only did tons of people see it, but I'm pretty sure that security cameras caught it from at least four different angles.

I sure hope this helps you in the long run. Please continue to let us know how it's going!
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

I had my HFAD re-fitted, this afternoon. The orthotist added some hook and loop to help keep the waist band in place while sitting. This device seems to do a good job helping me keep my toe above the ground as I walk. So far, so good

Comment

I know this thread has been around for a while but ......

Hi all

Does anyone know the name of the new device, that someone mentioned earlier? I think it was 'triple' something. I have heard of the HFAD by Becker, but is this the only HFAD available?

thanks for any info.
            Echo
            DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

HAH!

Just received my first response to thread for this.
              Thanks for carrying on the conversation
              1995-symptoms with no cause
              2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
              2000/1-started Avonex
              2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
              Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Grateful and Blessed

Hi all

I know we are all different and what works for one, may not work for the next person, but I thought I would share this, if anyone is interested.

Last week, I got the HFAD from Becker and I had an appointment with PT at Cleveland Clinic just a few days later. Fortunately, while I was there, the man that invented the device showed up.

He helped with fitting the device and made suggestions on exercises while using it.By the end of my PT appointment, I could walk at least twice as fast as I normally do. My foot did not drag, and I walked more than hour, which would have been totally impossible without this device. My left leg did not give out and muscle fatigue was barely noticeable.

For the last year, I have not been able to do any kind of shopping (or any walking for more than a few minutes) without using a powered cart due to foot drop and flexor weakness in my left leg.

Today, we went to Costco and I walked the WHOLE place while wearing the device. I used a regular cart and shopped and shopped! My poor husband was worn out before me!

I am very grateful and blessed and I thank God for answered prayers!

I don't know how long this will continue to work, but right now, I don't care! I had a
                good time today and felt more like a 'normal' person than I have in a very long time! I needed this good day, physically and emotionally!!

Thanks for listening.
                Echo

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
                  Hi all

I know we are all different and what works for one, may not work for the next person, but I thought I would share this, if anyone is interested.

Last week, I got the HFAD from Becker and I had an appointment with PT at Cleveland Clinic just a few days later. Fortunately, while I was there, the man that invented the device showed up.

He helped with fitting the device and made suggestions on exercises while using it.By the end of my PT appointment, I could walk at least twice as fast as I normally do. My foot did not drag, and I walked more than hour, which would have been totally impossible without this device. My left leg did not give out and muscle fatigue was barely noticeable.

For the last year, I have not been able to do any kind of shopping (or any walking for more than a few minutes) without using a powered cart due to foot drop and flexor weakness in my left leg.

Today, we went to Costco and I walked the WHOLE place while wearing the device. I used a regular cart and shopped and shopped! My poor husband was worn out before me!

I am very grateful and blessed and I thank God for answered prayers!

I don't know how long this will continue to work, but right now, I don't care! I had a
                  good time today and felt more like a 'normal' person than I have in a very long time! I needed this good day, physically and emotionally!!

Thanks for listening.
                  Echo2099.

Congratulations on getting an HFAD. I wrote about mine back in 2011. You are so lucky to have met the inventor and gotten some personal fitting advice. Since I'm in the "outback" of Montana, that wasn't an option for me.
                  I identify completely with your trip to Costco...I can remember doing the same thing.
                  I used my HFAD for two years with great success. With the aid of two trekking poles and the HFAD, I was able to walk our dogs two miles each day, winter included. I did all my shopping, unassisted.
                  Unfortunately, the progression of my MS continued, and I could tell the HFAD wasn't helping as much as it first did. The good news, as you know, is this device is adjustable, so you're able to make it work "better".
                  In July of 2013, I went to bed and woke up unable to walk like I had. My right knee (my weak leg) was stiff and sore. I had x-rays that showed nothing, and pt that helped, but my walking unassisted like I had previously was no longer possible.
                  Two years later I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of my right knee. I'm wondering whether the "pull" of the HFAD caused this, but I don't know since I have RA in my family, and it just might be another new symptom of my MS.
                  My advice is keep this in mind. I'm older (almost 64 now) so that could also be the reason. However, I wanted to let you know about my experience so you'll be more aware of any changes.
                  I loved my HFAD (that I no longer am able to wear) and have no regrets about its purchase. It gave me two additional years of walking and feeling "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post

My advice is keep this in mind. I'm older (almost 64 now) so that could also be the reason. However, I wanted to let you know about my experience so you'll be more aware of any changes.
                    I loved my HFAD (that I no longer am able to wear) and have no regrets about its purchase. It gave me two additional years of walking and feeling "normal".

ru4cats

Thanks for the reply, well wishes, and advice! And no, you aren't older, I am almost 64 too!

I was Dx in 2007, and my walking ability went down hill pretty fast. It's been pretty stable for about a year now, so hopefully between the HFAD, PT and all the stretching I do, I will get at least 2 good years out of the HFAD.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Echo
                    Echo

Comment

Try it out with your PT first

I read about this device and asked my PT to contact the company, and they sent one to the clinic so I could try it. Good thing too, as I could barely straighten up while wearing it It helped with gait, but the bands need to be so strong to lift the leg that--for me--it was like fighting double-triple gravity to straighten up and walk while wearing it.

The PT felt that my particular issues would be only slightly helped by wearing it, but that it was unlikely I would even put it on because it was uncomfortable for me. It's definitely something to try out first with someone who can fit it properly and observe you walking in it before making the investment.

Comment

Originally posted by poppydarling View Post
                        I read about this device and asked my PT to contact the company, and they sent one to the clinic so I could try it. Good thing too, as I could barely straighten up while wearing it It helped with gait, but the bands need to be so strong to lift the leg that--for me--it was like fighting double-triple gravity to straighten up and walk while wearing it.

The PT felt that my particular issues would be only slightly helped by wearing it, but that it was unlikely I would even put it on because it was uncomfortable for me. It's definitely something to try out first with someone who can fit it properly and observe you walking in it before making the investment.
                        I agree completely. When I first got it, it really helped me walk and did so for another two+ years. However, as my progression continued, it became more problematic, and with the diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the knee on my weak leg, wearing it became unproductive. However, for the price, I have no regrets about the purchase; it was well worth the price.

Comment

I agree completely. When I first got it, it really helped me walk and did so for another two+ years. However, as my progression continued, it became more problematic, and with the diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the knee on my weak leg, wearing it became unproductive. However, for the price, I have no regrets about the purchase; it was well worth the price.
                          I have been following this thread and it is great to read the input. I'm 68 and walk with treking poles, and I feel this device may give me a bit more 'independent walking time' As I live in Australia getting the device is a bit more complicated, however I am to attend the ms clinic next month and will certainly discus the possiblity with the PT and neuro. Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Originally posted by indulge View Post
                            I have been following this thread and it is great to read the input. I'm 68 and walk with treking poles, and I feel this device may give me a bit more 'independent walking time' As I live in Australia getting the device is a bit more complicated, however I am to attend the ms clinic next month and will certainly discus the possiblity with the PT and neuro. Thanks for the info!!
                            Indulge,

I have some additional information you might find useful, but with so few people interested, I would rather pass it on to you privately. If you are interested, my email is listed under my profile, about me.

Comment

Indulge,

I have some additional information you might find useful, but with so few people interested, I would rather pass it on to you privately. If you are interested, my email is listed under my profile, about me.
                              I have emailed you but no response (mind you I am not the most computer literate person). Love to hear more info!! thanks.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't think I received it. I double checked my address, and it is correct. Could you please try again? Could you put HFAD in the subject heading so I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks.

Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X