Fatigue from doing nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue from doing nothing.

I know I've beat this to death, but I constantly wonder.

Do you get completely exhausted from the smallest things? I can brush my teeth or wash a dish and just be worn down. They keep telling us that rest will help, but in my case it's just not working. I LIVE tired!

I've had a lot of tests in the last few years, including heart tests. And the only thing they've found lately is gastritis. I have IBS, Graves Disease, Osteoporosis, degenerative disc disease etc etc. I know any one of these can cause fatigue and some of the other symptoms I have. I don't feel like my MS is in the danger zone, but this unrelenting fatigue is the worst.

I just need some validation from you all that the little things really do exhaust you too ( if that's your case ). Thinking about asking the neuro for meds, but I'm not sure they do much. I've tried them before ( sporadically ). I'm a terrible patient and don't submit to medicine very well. My own fault.

I just can't believe how much worse this issue has become. I keep thinking my heart is not working right, but the tests seem to say it is ok. Can MS really make us THIS tired???
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

All of my plants are dead because watering them once a week is one thing too much. So yes, I understand, marti.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

No plants. No pets. Too much trouble.

Need housecleaning and clothes washing. These everyday things take too much energy. Constantly finding easiest way to do things.

I save my limited stamina / energy for things that bring joy.
      [I]Tellnhelen
      Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Do these little chores just leave you a little breathless?

I've been having spasms in my esophagus ( supposedly ) but they feel like palpitations and it makes me think... heart. I'm 64... underweight... don't smoke.

I was constipated this morning and felt awful. But once I finally had some success in that department I felt better. Of course, a nap helped too. But I am still feeling wrung out.

This is such a vicious disease.
        Marti

Comment

I get it. I refuse to completely rely on others and that being said I have learned to do things in stages.

I was just saying to dh that the only way I can finish putting clean laundry away in one shot is to not have done anything else that expends my energy.
          Karen

Comment

Boy can I relate! I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, too. No matter what, I am constantly exhausted. You are not alone in dealing with this; perhaps misery loves company!?
            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I get it, doesn't how much or little I sleep, I feel exhausted regardless. I feel like I have been up for 36hrs straight even when I get out of bed. I drink 5 hour energy shots to get me through the day.

Comment

Dale 76

What energy shots do you drink? Do I need approval from the Doc? ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND do they work. They have tried me on so many medications to give me energy and of course I'm one of them they don't work. Any suggestions would be great. Now, I do have a hyper-thyroid that's why I'm asking if they need to be approved.

Thanks in advance....
                Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS
                Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Hi Marti,

Yes, the fatigue is very hard! I can relate. Now I take provigil, a small dose 50 mg, which helps me get through the day but still got to take a nap in the afternoons everyday for one hour or so; Bad days 2 hours. The provigil gives me enough pep to get through the day BUT I also do things now to conserve my energy. For example, when I wash dishes I sit down, or if I fold laundry I sit down, and putting it all away maybe later. Or if I play RC cars with my son I sit down outside...My fatigue was so bad before that I felt I did not have enough strength to lift my arm up sometimes or even a pencil to write for that matter.

I was told by my support group leader that her doc said "MS is like starting your day with a 1/3 tank of gas and you have to find ways during the day to conserve it." I'll never forget that cuz it's true!

Yes, talk to your doc about some medicine that could help.
                  I hope something will help you!
                  Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
                    Dale 76

What energy shots do you drink? Do I need approval from the Doc? ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND do they work. They have tried me on so many medications to give me energy and of course I'm one of them they don't work. Any suggestions would be great. Now, I do have a hyper-thyroid that's why I'm asking if they need to be approved.

Thanks in advance....
                    Susie Q
                    I'm in Canada so not sure if they have the same ones across the border but it is called "5 hour energy" and it has 200mg of caffeine and depending which strength it has 500-1200mg of Taurin. Red Bull is the same but not as consentrated. I like the 5 hour energy brand because it come in a very small bottle with a screw cap and I just sip it through the day and reseal it. So normally I drink one or less per day.

I personaly believe that if used as directed these kind of drinks are healthy, they are loaded with vitamins as well. I know most doctors frown on energy drinks but then again a lot of people mix them with alcohol or drink to many at once and that is when they cause issues.

Comment

Exercise can also help with fatigue sometimes especially a low-impact cardio and it doesn't have to be Jane Fonda. Some exercise you like that gets the heart rate up slightly like walking, moving the arms up and down, or leisurely bike riding, etc.

P.S. I've been taking Whole 5 juice the last few weeks and have noticed a slight energy pickup from this, but not saying this is gonna work for everyone. It is very nutritious and has lots of antioxidants from different berries. Love the taste!
                      Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Nicoly3467 View Post
                        Hi Marti,

Yes, the fatigue is very hard! I can relate. Now I take provigil, a small dose 50 mg, which helps me get through the day but still got to take a nap in the afternoons everyday for one hour or so; Bad days 2 hours. The provigil gives me enough pep to get through the day BUT I also do things now to conserve my energy. For example, when I wash dishes I sit down, or if I fold laundry I sit down, and putting it all away maybe later. Or if I play RC cars with my son I sit down outside...My fatigue was so bad before that I felt I did not have enough strength to lift my arm up sometimes or even a pencil to write for that matter.

I was told by my support group leader that her doc said "MS is like starting your day with a 1/3 tank of gas and you have to find ways during the day to conserve it." I'll never forget that cuz it's true!

Thank you so much for your answer. It sure fits my situation. In face, thanks to everyone who responded. We are all in this together... sadly. I am just amazed at how different I feel and act now from the way I was a few years ago. I truly believe that surgery made things worse for me. I think that's true for a lot of people.

I thought that it was my age causing the downward spiral. So maybe not. I've tried exercise.... almost impossible. I do walk around a lot. Go out to the barn every day to feed the cats and walk out for the mail. Go up and down the basement stairs. I guess that all counts as excerise. Tried water aerobics but that was a disaster. I tried to go the whole 40 minutes and found out I was only supposed to do 10 minutes to start. Yikes!

I just wonder how much all my other illnesses contribute to this fatigue. I'm sure it's all bombarding me at once.
                        Marti

Comment

Originally posted by Nicoly3467 View Post
                          Hi Marti,

Have you ever thought it could be your heart making you so fatigued? It always scares me when I do those small chores and my chest starts feeling tired and fluttery. I've had the usual tests and am always declared "normal", but I can't help thinking my ticker is part of the problem. Does this sound typical of MS fatigue??
                          Marti

Comment

Hi Marti,

Humm hard to say, but I know I have to pace myself with exercise, cleaning around the house or scooping the cat litter boxes. I saw you have cats too so wanted to mention that. Ha! If my heart beats so fast that I cannot carry a conversation comfortably or out of breath, I know I need to slow down!

Going upstairs can make the heart beat fast or flutter, so maybe stop halfway up the staircase, take a few breaths, then do the other half when you feel ready. Just a thought!
                            It could help.
                            Nikki

Comment

Beyond explanation

That's how I feel about fatigue with MS ('beyond explanation).

No amount of sleep helps; I could sleep for days on end..

I take Nuvigil and it helps a bit, but eventually I think it does less for you.

I don't know what will help. I sometimes feel like just giving up. I can take a stronger dose, but it just makes me jittery.

I was on steroids recently (oral) and have actually felt worse. Now besides my fatigue, my stomach is upset (irritated) and I feel lousy.

I've had MS for 20 yrs and this is the worst I've felt. Had an MRI a couple months ago and showed no changes.

Still I know I am worse as I feel so much worse than I did when dx'd. I am going to be 70 and of course I do have other health issues. My pulmonologist put me on the steroids; he hated to do it, but nothing else seems to help me with symptoms (severe coughing). I have asthma and COPD, so that complicates things.

I think it's bad enough to have MS, but the other health problems make things worse.

Wish I could add something positive, but not in a good mood lately. This stuff gets you down and when you have no energy it is really hard to feel good.

Diane
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X