involuntary dorsiflextion contractions at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

involuntary dorsiflextion contractions at night

When trying to fall asleep at night, I often have rhythmic (every 1-2 minutes) involuntary dorsiflexion foot contractions that keep me awake. Sometimes I feel a slight muscle contraction in my quadriceps, and then the dorsiflexion contraction a second or two later. Other nights it may only involve dorsiflexion. This is not a rapid, jerk type contraction; it is slow and controlled flexion. It usually affects my right foot, but has also happened in the left foot, but never both feet at the same time. This can go on for hours and drives me crazy!! It makes it absolutely impossible to fall asleep! This does not happen every night, and I can't seem to pinpoint a reason why it occurs some nights and not others. Has anyone else experienced this beyond annoying symptom, know what causes it, and/or have any suggestions on how to stop it??

Hi libby and welcome! I have been experiencing this also in my left foot/leg and know how irritating it is. I am going on 3 nights in a row and not getting enough rested sleep. The involuntary dorsiflexion happens to me from every 15 sec to 1 min. Ugh! Strange that a sensation that only lasts a few seconds would be such an irritant. I never know when it's going to hit and I go sometimes weeks w/o it.

My dr. prescribed 10mg of flexeril but for me, it takes awhile to kick in. I only take half of a pill, so maybe I should up the dose.

Sometimes I have to get up out of bed and actually sit on my left foot for awhile while the med kicks in.

Hope we both can find some relief. Again, welcome
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I don't have this, my spasms tend to cause my foot to flex downward, but there is such a thing as a dorsiflexion night boot or night guard. It's designed mostly for people like me who have foot drop type spasms, but I think it might work for your spasms.

They basically hold the foot in a flexed position. The question would be is it flexing the foot enough to prevent further dorsiflexion. Google them and take a look.

Comment

Thank You Seasha and rdmc for your replies! I appreciate the information. I'm going to check out the flexeril and the night boot!

Comment

Originally posted by libby123 View Post
          Thank You Seasha and rdmc for your replies! I appreciate the information. I'm going to check out the flexeril and the night boot!
          I have had MS symptoms since 1991 and this problem with my right foot started in July. I have broken my fifth metatarsal twice and I thought maybe I had reinjured it. Then flashes of tingling started going between my knee and my toes so I then I realized it was an MS symptom. I take Topomax 50 mg prn for neurological symptoms so I started taking 50 mg at 8:00 at night as the problem usually started around 10:00 and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

I've had this problem for yrs., it drives me crazy. I'm so glad I saw this thread, I didn't know what it was called. I am ordering a night boot today.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Update: Has anyone else found something that helps with this? It has been waking me up almost every night now. I have to get up and walk, sometimes that helps sometimes not. It woke me up at 3:00 this morning so I got up and walked around and stayed in my recliner it finally quit 2 hrs later.

I did try the night boot but it didn't help. I take (3) 20mg baclofen at night just doesn't help.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Reg - you might want to talk with your Dr. about a script for flexeril which I mentioned above. Maybe there is a newer or different med that might help? Flexeril has helped me a lot.

Comment

Thanks Seasha, I will do that. Do you also take baclofen or would this replace baclofen?
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

I don' take baclofen, but talk to your Dr. and ask this question. I don't take Flexeril every night but only when needed. The problem seems to go in waves for some strange reason. Might go on for days to a week and not come back for months. Just another strange sx we have to live with - yuck!

Hope you are finding some much needed sleep! I know how hard it must. Little sleep affects our day hours too.

Comment

It started last night as soon as I laid down but it didn't last long so yes I got some sleep last night.

Thank you Seasha
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi Seasha

I know exactly what you are talking about, and those spasms or what ever one may call them are stinking painful. I get them during the day sometime, as well as at night. If my husband is around, he knows the spot on each foot where he can apply acupressure to get the madness to end. I do not know if you can tell the exact spot on your foot where the spasm starts. I can, and so that helps IF my husband is around and awake.

At night I am taking 2 mg Klonipin for this condition as well as myoclonus and dystonia. Sometimes the neuro refers to what's going on in my feet as dystonia and sometimes spasms and then sometimes spasms leading to dystonia. I don't care, it hurts no matter what you call it.

Since starting the Klonipin 1-2 hours before climbing into bed, I've had very few night time problems with this. What a relief.

Hope this helps you and that you are doing well today.

Comment

Hi'
                          I tried several different drugs to help with spastisity ,especially in the legs and feet , at night , keeping me awake including Baclofen. None did much and also left me with the drugged hangover the next day. Valium seemed to help a bit.
                          Fatigue always makes this worse. So each night with bad sleep means the next night (and day) will be worse.

About 4 years ago we had a semi retired doc filling in at the local doc's surgery and he suggested i try Polaramine along with the valium. Usually these two aren't recommended to be taken together.
                          But he reduced the valium dose and the polaramine is basically only active for about 6 hrs.

What i've found is the polaramine is needed to put me to sleep and the valium reduces the spasticity and keeps me asleep for longer. If i take one without the other i DON'T sleep and feel lousy.

My quality of life has improved immensely since i began this regime.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Tired of not sleeping

I'm early 60's and have regular sleepless nights due to the involuntary shaking and spasms. When I'm not shaking it seems my legs have some irritability keeping me from getting relaxed enough to fall asleep. I have a fairly demanding job so that I need to get some sleep to be alert for next day. I have regular nero visits and take a substantial amount of drugs too numerous to list. I've recently finished my first infusion set of Ocrevus. Supposed to just stop progression of this damn PPMS with no cure which would be nice.

My neurologist wants me to see another doctor specializing in Parkinson and it's tremors. Haven't tried her yet due to the 100 mile drive and, oh boy, another doctor. I know there's no cure for this but I'm just tired of spinning my wheels with doctor visits, more medication, and getting nowhere. I know why doctors call it "a practice" for sure.

Sorry for the soapbox. I just wish these tremors at night would go away to get some sleep. I sit at a desk most of the day with no problem, why does most of my shaking seem to happen after I get home and all night trying to sleep.............

Comment

Working...
                            X