Considering a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a new job

I have been at the same job for 5 years. My boss is aware of my MS and is very supportive and allows many considerations. I can work from home with very little or no notice. Any time off I need off is granted with no question.

I recently decided that it might be time for me to move on to another job. I have a few questions I'm hoping the community can help with.

1) What do I need to disclose during an interview? (If anything)

2) What should I take into consideration regarding health insurance? (I can re-join my husbands' insurance with very little issue. We work for the same company at this time)

3) What do I need to take into consideration that haven't considered?

Thank you everyone for your time and your help. I appreciate any advice you can give me?

Wow your job sounds pretty good as it is now.

I have gotten several jobs since diagnosis and I don't ever disclose to HR, my manager or the team. I won't disclose until the time comes when I need accommodations based on concerns of the stigma related to MS.

I do disclose during the physical examination since I will be utilizing their health benefits program. Thankfully at least to the best of my knowledge my diagnosis has not made it back to my departments.

Good luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Ooops, meant to add: I don't ever go for the physical examination where I disclose MS until after I have an offer letter in writing.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

1) Employment protection laws in the US prevent medical or
        health related questions during a job interview. You are
        not required to disclose anything about your health status
        or MS dx. Employees who volenteer protected information
        'open the door' for a prospective employer to persue
        further info about applicant's health status, to what extent
        I'm not sure.

2) Once a job offer is made and accepted, you should
        compare premium cost, any possible waiting period,
        coverage for MS DMDs, and any other limitations such as
        max out of pocket expenses per year or life time coverage
        max in the group health policy. Also compare STD and
        LTD policies and retirement plans.

3) One huge consideration is the flexible work schedule
        and work from home as needed that you currently
        enjoy, and which may be contributing to your ability to
        continue working now and into the future.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I would also look at short term and long term disability policies. Most LTD policies have an exclusion period for preexisting coverage. Mine had a 2 year provision. If my disability started during this period, I would not have been eligible for the LTD coverage. So if you have these benefits, review them too.

Good luck.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X