Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Use Keeps Brain in High Gear

**From TIDBITS August 29, 2014**

We can improve our memory and store brain power for the future by surfing the Internet and checking email. So says a study with the unwieldy title of "English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA): Can Internet/Email Use Reduce Cognitive Decline?"

Per the study, besides "storing" cognitive ability (brain-based skills) for future, digital literacy also "leads to the employment of more efficient cognitive networks to delay cognitive decline"--in other words, we find new ways of getting the results we want.

It makes sense. Digital literacy involves more than just pressing buttons on the keyboard. Hunting for what we want on the Internet involves thinking, planning and carrying out what we want to do, evaluating what we find and maybe sharing it in email with others. And it's not just computers; smart phones, tablets and laptops play a part in digital literacy -- as long as we understand how to use them.

The study used a large group -- 6,400 adults in Britain -- ages 50 to 89, with annual retests for eight years. As tests of memory, they were given 10-word lists for later recall.

The conclusion was that good health, financial status and education -- and digital literacy -- resulted in better memory. Those who didn't use the Internet showed declines. Current users increased their recall capability.

The good news is that over half of seniors between 65 and 74 have Internet access, in both the U.K. and the U.S.

Key is that caveat about financial status. Not everyone can afford a computer and Internet access. However, there are ways to get around this. Senior centers often give classes on Internet browsing, use of cellphones, useful computer programs like email and bookkeeping, and the like. And if they don't have computers that seniors can use, the library usually does.

thanks for the info!

it's good to know that goofing off on my laptop can actually be helping my brain!! i often get 'lost' and realize that i've been on it for hours. good to know those hours weren't a total waste.

another good way to up brain power on computer is the website Lumosity.com. they give you a free trial, then it costs. so read carefully if you go there.
    it's been a real boost to my memory skills and very enjoyable past time.

take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

good point about luminosity pooh!
      there is a certain justification associated with "goofing off" while on it. at least i can say that i`m helping myself out!
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Interesting since other research has shown we are wired to not remember things any longer due to computer offloading.
        I will have to see if I can find the book.
        1995-symptoms with no cause
        2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
        2000/1-started Avonex
        2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
        Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Working...
        X