Nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nausea

I have been sick to my stomach since June. Been to my primary care doctor 3 times since. First time he told me to take Omeprazole. The second time he told me to take 2, 1 at am and another at pm. It didn't help. I went back yesterday and he is scheduling an apt for an endoscopy. I'm so scared to have this procedure. Meanwhile, I have nausea and bowl issues (feel like I have to go).

I am on no other medication. My neurologist has diagnosed me as having demyelinating disease of the CNS, but suspects NMO. Blood test was negative.

I'm wondering what others do for nausea. What foods help, if any? I weigh 95 pounds and can't afford to lose even 1 more pound.

Anyone else have problems with on going nausea?

I've heard that ginger helps with nausea, so maybe foods with ginger would help, or a tea with ginger.

I understand how you feel about the endoscopy. I haven't had one but I'd feel the same way. My husband had one last week and immediately after the procedure he wanted to go shopping. He walked around Costco as if nothing had happened, which I thought was pretty amazing. As long as you are given anesthesia, preferably with the drug that makes you forget everything, I imagine it won't be as bad as you think.

Comment

Lianne, thank you so much for replying. I will give ginger a try for a few days and post back with results.

I have decided not to have the endoplasy because I'm afraid it may disrupt my body even more and cause other problems. I had an upper GI about a year ago when I had an active leison on my spin, the GI was fine, the problem was the lesion, I guess. I think my stomach problems are directly related to my CNS. I had an MRI a month ago and no active lesions but my stomach kind of feels the same.

It's so hard to explain, but I will try the ginger and again, thank you.

Comment

I just had a colonoscopy/gastroscopy and it was fine. Had a light anaesthetic .... Took a while to come out but had the best sleep in ages with it. I see you've already cancelled, but it's good information on the off chance there is something going on .

Comment

Unexplained Stomach Issues

I have suffered from nausea since before my DX Feb 2013. I have an "iron stomach" and rarely get physically sick. I have always been that way. I can have nausea for a day or days at a time, but I'm not able to vomit to get any relief. Even if I provoke it (use your imagination). It's torture!

I know some of my meds make me nauseous, but this is random and unpredictable. It doesn't seem to be related to food. I can eat a huge, healthy meal and get sick, eat nothing and get sick, eat junk food and get sick. There doesn't seem to be a common denominator.

I used to take Phenergan, but it actually made me worse! I take Zofran and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I have been taken by ambulance to the ER in the last 4 months for extreme vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Tests turned out normal. I lost 50lbs over the course of 10 months. Could I have used the weight loss? Sure, b/c that's the exact amount of weight that I've gained since I got remarried 8 years ago. But I was in terrible physical condition and it just happens that I worked on a lake, managing shorelines and cruising timber.

My neuro theorizes that I suffer from muscle spasms along my digestive tract and suggests that I increase my use of muscle relaxers. Luckily, received early retirement/long term disability from my former employer a little over a year ago. This means, I have more flexibility to take drugs that I need with side effects. But, they just make me even more fatigued. Anyone else with similar problems.

Comment

I'm on Rebif and had headache, some vomiting and nauseua and horrible chills and shaking. I'm on 22mcgs. and my neurologist prescribed 500mgs of naproxan and man did that help. I still get a slight headache along with nauseua and I drink ginger-ale. It helps me burp and calms the nauseau down. But very manageable.

Let us know what you try and if you start feeling better.

My best to you
            Diamond57

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS
            Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I've had problems with nausea too.

Phenergan helped with the nausea at times, but it also made me very sleepy

Its not legal where I live, but I have heard that medical cannabis can help with nausea - it might be worth checking on its legality in your jurisdiction.

Good luck

Comment

Tips on managing nausea/fainting

I have learned a few tips coping with the nausea. Many times, I have passed out from the pain and have hit my head several times. It's very scary because I feel it coming on and I panic. Here are a few things that have helped me to "not" pass out during the unbearable episodes and also offer some relief from the nausea.

I always have a small fan near me that I use to blow on my face. I elevate my feet above the height of my head by laying on the floor and propping my feet up on a couch or chair. Sometimes I stay like that for hours.

I always have alcohol wipes with me and literally run them on and around my nose or fan them over my nose. It's sort of like ammonia vials. I can't find these, in the store, so I also have a bottle of ammonia that I dip cotton rounds in and wave them near my nose. BE VERY CAREFUL. Ammonia can cause serious damage if you inhale it directly! Also, I rub hand sanitizer on my hands and just cover my nose with my hands and inhale deeply. This works well in public b/c it doesn't look so weird.

Here's something else. Vapor rub like Vick's has a strong menthol smell. I keep it in my purse when I'm out. I keep ice packs in the freezer and put one in each hand and rub them on my face. The ice packs that come with my injections are perfect. Crush ice in a Styrofoam cup and sip on Gatorade. I like the G2 with mild flavors like lemonade or strawberry kiwi. I stay away from the dark reds and blues. The Styrofoam cup will keep it cold for a long time.

Lastly, if I don't have a strong gag reflex at the time, I chew on cinnamon or spearmint gum or suck on peppermints. Whew! I really hope this helps everyone who is suffering. Please pass this along or reply back if you have any other tips.

Comment

Working...
                X