Mental aspects of fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental aspects of fatigue

How on earth do people cope with the mental aspect of being fatigued all the time?

I just can't imagine going years feeling like I'm good for nothing all the time. I do take Amantadine and it helps, but only for a short period of time.

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post
    How on earth do people cope with the mental aspect of being fatigued all the time?

I just can't imagine going years feeling like I'm good for nothing all the time. I do take Amantadine and it helps, but only for a short period of time.
    That is a hard feeling to fight but give yourself some time to adjust and you will find ways to be useful again. I have my ups and downs myself but I try to remember that unfortunately life is not always fair and we just have to do what we can with what we got.

Time to zero in on the things you care about the most and use them to take your mind of this MonSter.

Comment

Dale76 is so right.

Focus your energy on the things that matter most to you, and you won't "be good for nothing all the time," you'll be doing the most important things.

Comment

I remember a few years ago I was saying how I was 'too tired' and that's why something didn't get done or whatever the situation was and my husband said to me that since I'd had the 'fatigue' for so long wasn't I used to it by now? My response was/is something like 'yes and no'. I know how to work with the fact that I'm tired all the time so I can be as productive as possible, but it's always disappointing to wake up in the morning and still be really tired!

I think this is the reason I'm on an antidepressant. I started the AD when I had post partum depression but have stayed on it because my husband can be difficult and I don't have the mental energy to deal with his personality sometimes after I've taken care of the kids, cleaned, made dinner, etc.

We all have to find what works for us.
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I went on disability about 6 years ago. I jumped right into volunteering, because I knew that I needed to continue to feel "productive".

Although it didn't totally get rid of the somewhat useless feeling immediately (I sort of "grieved" giving up a career for about 3 years), now, although I don't love MS, I truly do love not having to work and being able to afford (due to SSDI) choosing how much, when, and where to volunteer.

I actually feel more useful now than I did when employed. So many places in our communities can use good volunteers.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

You'll be okay

I was also having a difficult time managing fatigue, but now I'm actually embracing it I take a 30min nap everyday after work and I feel great afterwards. It gives me the extra boost of energy I need to take a walk, spend time with my family etc. If All of a sudden I feel exhausted at work, I usually eat an apple or drink a fruit smoothie- I found this gives me energy to get through the day. I wish you the best in finding ways to manage your fatigue.

Comment

Working...
            X