First Vision Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Vision Issue

Looking for ideas. For 3 days now I have had a vision loss that basically looks like I am trying to see through someone else's glasses. Or staring through the bottom of glass jars.

I have been to neuro and ophthalmologist and it is NOT ON.

Ideas on what it could be?

Being sent for another MRI on Friday

Thanks,

Could it be uveitis?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Poppy, but I don't think so. The ophthalmologist said my eyes were in good health.

Can a lesion in your brain make your vision wonky?

Comment

Hi Kaitar,

Can a lesion in your brain make your vision wonky?
        There is usually only a couple of places which can affect vision but if I'm wrong someone will correct me The optic nerves and the brainstem.

I have had a vision loss that basically looks like I am trying to see through someone else's glasses. Or staring through the bottom of glass jars.
        In your description is it possible your vision is blurry or possibly seeing double?

My vision sucks so I had a hard time not too long ago describing changes in vision that was different from my regular crappy vision I initially thought blurry but upon examination I was told it was double vision.

By the way, my Ophthalmologist found nothing wrong to explain the double vision and my CT scan as well as an extensive MRI showed nothing to explain it. MS is suspected even though the CT scan and MRI does not indicate it.

Best wishes on your upcoming MRI. Hopefully the MRI will give you answers about your vision difficulties
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am just wrapping up three months of double vision (I hope!!!!) Kaitar, and I read your description and thought maybe. If you cover each eye individually, and your vision from the other eye is fine, it may be binocular double vision.

I didn't feel like my vision was reduced though, so maybe something different? My vision was just bad and exhausting. Mine was explained to me as muscle weakness presumably due to my issue which is as of yet undxed.

Comment

If ON has been excluded, look at all your prescriptions and read the side effects, in particular Neurontin/Gabapentin.

I get ON. Caused by lesions on my Optic Nerve.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

ON has been excluded. I am not on any new meds (other than the steroids I was started on for the vision problem).

It's very hard to describe, but it's in both eyes. It's also pretty much the same in each eye. Meaning closing one eye does me no good and the blury/wonky vision is still there.

It's making me dizzy and nauseous. It's not as bad in the morning and gets worse throughout the day.

My eye glass prescription is less than a year old and hasn't really changed in many years. Also, the eye doctor was unable to "fix" is by altering the strength of prescription. It seems to be a "perception" issue.

I will look into the brain stem lesion effects, thanks!

Do you guys just try to live around this? Can I relearn to drive with my vision all messed up? Any ideas to compensate for my lack of depth vision, which seems to be the most limiting part of it at this time.

Comment

For about 12 months I had a lack of depth perception and apparently didn't have ON either but I'm pleased to say that things did eventually come right. Now I just get blurred vision when I'm hot.

In the meantime I was very afraid to drive, couldn't park properly to save myself and was generally a wreck when I was in the car, even when someone else was driving as things seemed to 'suddenly' be in front of me. It was like I was missing a little bit of time, if that makes sense. It was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

I had VEP testing which was normal but I've since read that if the lesions are 'retrochiasmatic' or in the 'geniculate nucleus' they are very hard to pick up so maybe something else to look into??

I've also read that modified VEP testing will pick these up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaitar View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies.

Do you guys just try to live around this? Can I relearn to drive with my vision all messed up? Any ideas to compensate for my lack of depth vision, which seems to be the most limiting part of it at this time.
                  Have you had the depth testing done? For three months I worked around it. My double vision got worse with fatigue and heat. Recently I was in the ER, and my license was suspended due to vision and weakness issues . I had already stopped driving end of July, but now it will be a big deal to get mt license back.

Be safe though ... You know if you are compromised behind the wheel. I had a close call with a deer mid July that shouldn't have happened once I looked back: my perception and/or reaction time was off.

Comment

Update

So after a lot of testing etc. The problem with my vision is my inner ear????

They are not exactly sure on the cause yet, but medication is helping clear up the symptoms.

This MS thing is just ODD

Comment

Originally posted by Kaitar View Post
                      So after a lot of testing etc. The problem with my vision is my inner ear????

This MS thing is just ODD
                      Wow! Who would have looked to the ear for vision issues! My left eye is blind from repeated ON, maybe I'll cut my hair and try seeing out of my ear!

In all seriousness though, is this an MS thing or just something that happened?

Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

when someone else was driving as things seemed to 'suddenly' be in front of me. It was like I was missing a little bit of time, if that makes sense. It was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

Poppy,

I know what you are talking about or going through.

When my husband drives, I drive him crazy because I think something is there but it is not. Or I see something in the distance and off to the side and think its right in front of us.

I will say, watch out! And he will look at me like i'm nuts.
                        He will say "close your eyes and take a nap, I will wake you when we get there". LOL

But it is a problem for me because I am afraid that I will put my foot through the floor. I put on the brake alot. Or I hold onto the door handle and squeeze.

Its my way of driving and he's ok with it, lol.

I have lose peripherial vision in my right eye and I am sensitive to light. I have to wear sun glasses but it bothers me because my left lower quadrant in the right eye is damaged from the repeated ON.

So what are we to do, mmmm
                        STR

Comment

Working...
                        X