Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stool softener regimen? suppository no longer works

hey folks,

A quick rundown: female, dx’d 25 yrs ago at 23, permenantly wheelchair bound last 8 yrs, still managing to care for myself at home (barely) with the help of a SureHands lift in the bathroom. I have an SP cath.

I find it hard to believe, with all the other problems I’ve faced over the years (and the ones I deal with now), that my worst enemy is my bowels.

I guess technically I’m incontinent in that I have no control once I start to go. Over the years I’ve always used a suppository on the toilet to tell my body when to go. But lately, it isn’t working – or at least, it isn’t working well enough to completely empty my bowels, only partially.

I’m wondering if a *regimen* of stool softener is the answer. Maybe a low dosage? Anyone?

thanks for any help,
    melissa

Stool softener

Hi Melissa,

I have taken Colase (over the counter) and it has helped me go regularly. I just take one tablet in the evening before bedtime. Since I have had MS, and I am newly diagnosed with RRMS, I have had a lot of straining when going to the bathroom and this helps make everything go smoothly.

Also, I try to eat one apple everyday which greatly helps amongst other veggies and fruit! The pectin in the apple is what does it.

Hope this helps you! Nikki
    Nikki

Comment

Stool softener

Melissa-I want to add if one tablet of Colase is not doing it for you, then 2 tablets can be taken.

Nikki
      Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by melissa138 View Post
        hey folks,

A quick rundown: female, dx’d 25 yrs ago at 23, permenantly wheelchair bound last 8 yrs, still managing to care for myself at home (barely) with the help of a SureHands lift in the bathroom. I have an SP cath.

I find it hard to believe, with all the other problems I’ve faced over the years (and the ones I deal with now), that my worst enemy is my bowels.

I guess technically I’m incontinent in that I have no control once I start to go. Over the years I’ve always used a suppository on the toilet to tell my body when to go. But lately, it isn’t working – or at least, it isn’t working well enough to completely empty my bowels, only partially.

I’m wondering if a *regimen* of stool softener is the answer. Maybe a low dosage? Anyone?

thanks for any help,
        melissa

Hi Melissa,

I was wondering how you were doing? I'm sorry your old regimen isn't working that well anymore. This has to be so distressing, especially for someone whose faced so many challenges already. You sound like such a fighter!

People are usually directed to stimulant suppositories last, because they can eventually cause more problems than they once solved. But, I do understand why you needed to use them. It takes so much more effort for you to get to the bathroom than most.

In your case, I would have some concerns about using a stool softener. It'd be awful if you ended up with diarrhea. But, my guess is you've already thought about that, as you mentioned starting off with a low dose. They can have a cumulative effect if you've taken them for very long. That might not be so good for you once they suddenly start working ...

Stool softeners are a category of "laxatives." Here's some information explaining the different types of laxatives and how they work. I hope it's helpful:

http://www.drugs.com/cons/laxative.html
        http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...n/drg-20070683
        http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...n/drg-20070715

Have you talked to your doctor? He/she may have a suggestion for one in mind they feel would suit you best (thinking maybe Lactulose?). And they may also want to know more so they can rule out that nothing more serious is going on.

I hope things improve for you, soon. Please keep us updated. Wishing you the best!
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I took Miralax and loved it.. Well I didn't really, but it worked fine for many months. I would take a full dose some days, a half dose other days, and none on the rest.

I could "regulate" the dose enough that it made life bare able. My gastro Dr. said it was OK for long term use.

I still take a stool softener 2x a day. I'm not sure they do much of anything for me.

good luck,

Comment

I use Senokot.s 2 tablets a day before bed. If that doesn't work I take Exlax. I also recently started eating hemp seeds and have found they help to lubricate as they are oily. Bran flakes never hurts either and I always start my morning with oatmeal.

Comment

Working...
            X