No announcement yet.

Melatonin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Wahl in her book recommends Melatonin 1 mg per night (as I recall). That is a REALLY small dose, IMHO. I have seen that Melatonin is not recommended for Parkinson's Disease patients, however.

Comment

At the recent Actrims-Ectrims conference in Boston, Dr. Kantor interviews Dr. Mauricio Farias who talks about new studies in the role of melatonin for MS patients. Here is the interview - http://conferencecenter.msworld.org/...latonin-and-ms
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

melatonin and the immune system

Some of.the controversy 're melatonin is perhaps activation of T cells- back to the old story of stimulating the immune system; and is that harmful in an auto immune disease...?

It is my opinion the benefits are more valuable.
        Getting more/better sleep.
        Melatonin is an excellent antioxidant. For years we've known breast cancer patients have low levels of melatonin.

Production: we make melatonin from exposure to full-spectrum light. With this light exposure the pineal gland produces melatonin and when we close our eyes/ it's dark, melatonin is then released.
        Problem is we live in our window tinted caves.
        And don't make melatonin during the daytime to be released at night for deep sleep.

Getting outside without sunglasses; not looking at the sun just no obstruction receiving the light into our eyeballs.
        Or using full-spectrum bulbs in frequented areas; I have bulbs over my kitchen sink, night stand lamp, desk table lamp, etc.

Supplements: I routinely prescribe melatonin with good results. Women usually need more than men - start at 3-5 up to 10mgs may be necessary. Men- 2-3 up to 5mgs.

something to ponder:perhaps another low sun exposure problem like vit D.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
        X