thought I would share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thought I would share

I tried to see if this was discussed before, but I could not find anything so I thought I would share.

Recently I had a bad flare. My right arm would not function and my right leg would not bend. I was pretty disabled.

What I started using was a muscle stimulator that my friend bought because I was concerned that the more I didn't get exercise, the worse I would get.

I have to say that I do feel a little better. I have used it for 10 minutes on my legs and stomach for the last two days. After I read what I read about the stimulator I plan on using it everyday.

I will share with you what I read.

https://ifess.org/sites/default/files/ALS.pdf

They are not expensive. My fiends was a little more expensive but there are cheaper ones.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thank you for that Pkar2. I've had a read and a good ol mooch around the internet, so the question is which machine offers the best ES? Which one do you use?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

The one I use, Choco is the SonicTechnology ElectroMassage System.

My friend bought it about six or seven years ago and kept telling me to use it. At the time I was not as bad as I am today, but a month ago I had a bad relapse. I had spasticity pretty bad. Today, it is almost completely gone. My right arm is working, too. I use the machine daily.

Comment

muscle machine

susan ... can you share the make/model of the muscle machine?

Comment

How timely!

Pkar2,

What a coincidence that I came across this thread a few days before I was planning to go into research on buying the right EMS for me. When I was in rehab they gave me what is called PENS (as opposed to TENS). I was told that it would give my muscles exercise what I could do on my own because of them being atrophied and I wouldn't have to do anything but just lie there while the electrodes worked.

It's hard for me to quantify how much they worked but I did end up walking for the first time in 16 months. And then I was cut, kicked out of rehab because I had made 'no progress.' It's hard for me not to be offended by the whole ideal but I do understand why they did that. I wanted to look in buying my own PENS machine but they don't appear to be available except two therapists.

However I think that the ones that do the same thing are called EMS machines which are available all over the place. So I think that's really what you're referring to. So I was going to go through and read a bunch of reviews for these things and try to make the best choice. And yes they are fairly inexpensive. And it's just what I need.

I also noted that the outpatient therapy place that I want to go to when I finish with home therapy someday, has it bicycle that combines bicycle exercise with this exact same stimulation. This place is really high-tech an up-to-the-minute while the place that I spent over three months in rehab at only had old dilapidated out of date donated equipment.
          ---------------
          "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

RockysMom,

I am sitting having my breakfast, reading your post while my EMS machine is on my legs. So glad you found this.

I just can't believe how much this has helped me. I, too, am walking again. When I don't use this machine, I am on my stationary bike. It made me know I am going in the right direction after reading your post. Thank you.

Comment

I am sorry to be late to the party. I have read this thread through and I don't quite get what you're getting at. If you have been following the clinical trials.gov site, Dr. Wahls advocates the use of a unit called EMPI 300. I will question my neurologist and OT/PT about using some type of unit to stimulate my muscles in my calves and other muscles. I have a problem moving my right leg and have been told that my hip flexor is not working fully. Is this somet5hing that can be helped by E-stim device.

Comment

JerryD,

This is just some of what I read that made me try an EMS. It would be helpful if you could read the whole article when you have time and possibly take it to your Physical Therapist. I am sure they know about it.

Electrical Stimulation In Multiple Sclerosis

Because multiple sclerosis is a chronic disorder in which there may be intermittent periods
                of recovery or remission, the indications for and the application of electrical stimulation [ES] will
                vary with the symptoms and functional limitations. ES may be helpful in the management of
                spasticity, pain, respiratory dysfunction and urinary incontinence with resulting improvements in
                muscle strength, coordination, balance, walking ability and performance in daily activities.
                Applications that involve the use of skin electrodes may be accomplished with a variety of
                commercially available electrical stimulati
                on devices that are small, battery powered and
                inexpensive. Implantable electrical stimulation technology would be selected by the surgeon.

Comment

No, thank you!!

Originally posted by Pkar2 View Post
                  RockysMom,

I am sitting having my breakfast, reading your post while my EMS machine is on my legs. So glad you found this.

I just can't believe how much this has helped me. I, too, am walking again. When I don't use this machine, I am on my stationary bike. It made me know I am going in the right direction after reading your post. Thank you.
                  Wow, so this new layout of the site right now but anyway I just wanted to let you know I spent a couple of days reading all about this type of electro therapy. I mean I read masters theses on this, I read scientific reports and articles until I felt inculcated with the information out there. I couldn't find the machine you refer to available to the United States so I ended up finding one that is very similar but includes several other therapies as well. The reason your machine is not available in these United States seems to be because the therapy known as PENS is patented here and even though your SonicTechnology machine is made by American company, that appears to prevent it from being sold in this country.

So… I found myself reading that patent! Yes it was all pretty dry reading material but then I discovered that it seems each country has its own version of this type of therapy they claim is the best. So the machine that I bought has all of them in one little machine.

I don't know if I can put the link to this machine in here but here it is:

And if that is taking out then it is made by LG Med Supply dot com and it is the LG-8TMELITE. It has four therapy programs TENS, EMS, IF and RUSS (Russian). And I carefully read the product descriptions on four different brands of these but this one was the one that was most customizable meaning that even though it doesn't have PENS, it could be customized to be as close to that as you would want.

Anyway it will take a little while to come in and then to figure out how to use exactly but I plan on doing that as being one of my top priorities since muscle reeducation is critical for me. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for your thread!

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**
                  ---------------

Comment

i`m sorry if this was asked, but, do you know if this will help someone (me) that is in a wc 24/7?
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Yes but...

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                      i`m sorry if this was asked, but, do you know if this will help someone (me) that is in a wc 24/7?
                      Yes hunterd, I feel believe so, very much. I am going to compile excerpts and quotes from all of the references which I read to clarify this whole confusing technology. But that will take a little while, yet I feel it will be valuable to post here.

Some of the reviews that I read were from people in wheelchairs and how it did help them to keep their muscles toned. Basically, it is passive exercise, so if you can't get up and run around for exercise, this will do it for you. I was given the PENS treatment in rehab because my thigh muscles are so weak. This was a way to strengthen them without me having to do anything but sit there or lie there for the 15 minutes to duration of the treatment. It is pretty much called muscle re-education in a nutshell.

So I will try to do that compilation of notes as soon as I can because I feel it will be very interesting to many here.
                      ---------------

Comment

thank you, that would be wonderful! Everything I read was so confusing, one article would say it would help and the next article would say that it will not help. I have a standing machine, but it does not help as much as I would like. All I am looking to do is to help with transfers. I am not looking for a miracle or anything like that ( although at times standing alone would be a miracle).
                        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                        volunteer
                        MS World
                        hunterd@msworld.org
                        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

RockyMom,

Excellent research. I was wondering why they stopped selling the machine I have here in the US. My friend bought it about eight years ago. Interesting about the patent. I am glad you let me know about the one you got so that if I need another one I know where to go.

Looking forward to your next post.

Comment

I have a EMPI 300. My pt recommended it, for my week hip flexors. I haven't used it on a steady bases, I have psoriasis in the places I have to put the pads very uncomfortable.

I did ask the Dr. about using it to help with my ankles, and she thought it was a great idea. been doing this for about two months. Slight improvement at the least, other wise staying the same.

Comment

Working...
                            X