FDA approves Plegridy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plegridy pen malfunction?

I recently attempted my first dose of Plegridy (chose not to use starter pak after 30 yrs of self-injecting Avonex) and both injectors apparently malfunctioned. I got just a pin-prick on my skin, no change of green stripes to green checks and no yellow stopper in the medication window. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by rjgarnold View Post
      I recently attempted my first dose of Plegridy (chose not to use starter pak after 30 yrs of self-injecting Avonex) and both injectors apparently malfunctioned. I got just a pin-prick on my skin, no change of green stripes to green checks and no yellow stopper in the medication window. Has anyone else had this problem?
      Yikes! Hope there's not a bad batch out there. I've only done 1 injection from the starter pack and had no problems. You should definitely call Biogen. Did you receive the nurse training?
      Diagnosed: May 2012
      Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
      Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Originally posted by rjgarnold View Post
        The main reason I asked if you had training was because you do need to press down hard. When the nurse showed me, it seemed easy, when I tried with the training pen (injector) it didn't work and she mentioned that I needed to press down hard & some people have to push with both hands so I tried again & could feel it that time & it worked. You sort of hear a click or pop and then the indicator starts to move with a clicking sound. The fact that this never happened, the needle never injected & the medication never dispensed sounds like maybe it wasn't pushed all the way.
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

The nurse told me, if you don't push down hard enough and pull the injector away, it locks out.

Meaning, if you push down at all and the injection doesn't go off, if you release the pressure that's it. You can't try again, the part that pushes in is now locked.

The nurse also advised to NOT do a stomach injection until I get to the full dose. Since the abdomen is kind of squishy it is more difficult to press firmly and evenly, so more chance of messing up a shot and the injector locking out. So she didn't want me to ruin one of the titration injectors. If I mess up with a regular dose injector, I won't miss out on titrating.
          Dx'd : 10/30/2002
          Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
          Currently on Rituxan

Comment

Working...
          X