Retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retention?

Went to er last night to find out if my recent incontinence issues were because of a uti. The dip was fine but doc sent away for culturing. He also did a bladder scan post-void whch showed 172 ml retained.

He told me if it was 600 he would be concerned. Pretty sure my bladder isn't nearly that big (he used the example of guys with prostate issues). Anyone know if this is a normal amount to retain?
    All my doctors are on vacation ...

172 mL equals .172 L. When I went into the hospital and was officially told that I had a neurogenic bladder I had retained 2 liters. I was shocked! I remember when my father had pancreatic cancer they used to drain three L at a time. So I do not think that 600 mL is very much to retain. It is something that your neurologist should refer you to a urologist (if you are not seeing one) about.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Okay, that's good. Not one more issue on top of the incontinence, urgency, yadah yadah.

I actually have a urologist appointment booked for September I called them today, but since I'm not "in" yet, can't discuss.

Comment

Ended up at er again yesterday, had trouble going all morning. (How can that be after days of incontinence??). Had to be cathed. First time for everything. Bladder scan showed 220 ml but they removed 420. I have a urology consult first thing this morning so no longer have to wait until September. So I guess that part is good .

Comment

Hunter

Apparently the bladder scanner doesn't work too well with me. I've had 5 trips to er now; turns out my bladder is pretty small so I officially have a retention issue plus so something muscular or nerve related. I now have a urologist, box of self-cath supplies, a homecare nurse, two more meds, and now an indwelling cath. . (Hopefully not for long.)

Comment

Really sorry to hear you now have this issue on top of everything else Aspen. On a slight positive side, could it be another flare and maybe the one that will get you a diagnosis??

Comment

I hope so, Poppy. But it would take my neuro, who is on vacation, to call it a flare. I still don't know where his brain is?!? I will update my neuro-opth this morning. The ER Should hand out frequent flyer miles ... I've been there six times in five days with cath issues then an adverse effect to a med I was put on.

Just grateful that the neuro opth's office is being attentive to things, when really all I was there for was double vision.

Feeling frustrated though ... I know you can't "what if" --- but but last August my neuro told me that trigeminal neuralgia can be the presenting thing for ms. I can't help wishing they had considered it CIS then and put me on something, even if later on it was decided to be not ms. Oh well. Hoping that his is another 3-8 week thing .

Comment

It appears to have been a flare. As of mid month, incontinence is mostly gone. Crazy ups and downs.

Comment

Pleased to hear your incontinence has settled aspen. That has to be the one thing that's happened that got to me most. Resulted in puddles from more than one area LOL.

Best wishes

Poppy

Comment

this completely slipped under my radar! I am sorry to leave you hanging. The first time I noticed it I thought it was "just"" an infection. The second time I was away from home and it was so bad that I went into convulsions. When I got to the first hospital, they gave me two shots and told me that I would start to feel better soon. The next day ( when I was back at home) I went to a different hospital and they did a CAT scan, then they cathed me and they got over 2 L! That was the beginning of my journey, and it never got better.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                    X