Will I ever feel "normal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I ever feel "normal"?

New to ms. I know everyone is diff. Just trying to figure this crazy thing out. I had a very intense flareup which led to an unofficial diagnosis of MS. The intensity of the burning skin, electric shocks, numbness in random places and parts of my body falling asleep is less every day. Does anyone ever feel "normal" between flareups? Will I have to deal with these less intense annoying little buzzes and shocks everyday. I just want to wake up and this not be the focus of my day. I'm trying to get used to the idea of myself having this crazy disease with ADD.....thanks for any feedback

Like you said: everyone is different. For me, the sensory sx have been 24/7 for over 4 years, with some variation in intensity.

My neuro says nerves can take 2 years to heal (if they're going to), so I expect my paresthesia is permanent. I hope you have better luck...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

sensory symptoms

Good question. I have had only sensory symptoms. It all started on April 4 of this year, and I was diagnosed on May 28.

My Neuro said I might get over this, but there is no way to know for sure. Some days the numbness and tingling in my feet drives me nuts, other days it's not as bad. Or maybe I'm getting used to it.

Comment

I'm so sorry Amsmiles, it really does suck! How long have you been diagnosed? Are you on any meds?

Just to answer your question... personally I feel waaaaaaaaaay better than at first (have had MS for almost 9 years). I've been lucky with meds, Rebif didn't work, switched to Copaxone 7 years ago.

It's sure not sunshine and flowers, there are some symptoms that are always there but to a lesser degree. Then there's
        permanent damage pre-Copaxone, such as my left eye is blind due to repeated inflammation/ON.

Every now and then I flake right out, mostly for a few hours, but sometimes, a few days.

Sorry, I meant for this to be a positive post and I've made it sound like a living nightmare, which it is not. I lead a productive life, raised my 3 kids plus my 3 step-sons with my MS, not to mention my "furry family" (I walk my dog 2 times per day). As a contrast, at the beginning there were times I had to be pushed to the bathroom on a computer chair, never dreaming I'd have all of my mobility back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too discouraged if something doesn't work, there are many other options, also if things seem to be taking too long to work (Copaxone took approx 8 months). One day I realized I felt not too bad, then it kept happening and pretty soon I went from feeling like different levels of garbage each day to actually having good days (currently most days).

Please tell us a wee bit about yourself and continue to post/reach out.. and hang in there!! The members and staff here are a pretty amazing bunch, I truly lwould not have gotten through the last 7 years without them.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
        X