Double vision, so frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double vision, so frustrated

I've been dealing with double vision for a year now, and it's still not taken care of! I saw an optometrist a year ago and she was hesitant to do anything. In January, she prescribed me glasses, but again was hesitant and didn't add any prism (but documented that if the rx didn't work, they would add a certain amount of prism if I requested). I wore them faithfully for a couple weeks and had no issues, but then basically just wore them if I was going out but not at home (I never have issues at home, it's only when driving or shopping, and even then, only if I'm out a long time).

I'm not sure when, but the glasses weren't doing it for me anymore, but I let it go because I don't normally go far. Well, I'm taking a road trip in a week, so I called to have the prism added but they wanted to see me first. Now she's telling me she won't add it! She is worried because it is the total opposite of my reading rx (that was prescribed many years ago) and she's afraid it will make me go cross eyed. If my eye muscles are getting fatigued and not working together, isn't that the whole point of adding prism?

Now it looks like I'll be off to see a neuro-opthalmologist, which is fine, but she should have done this months ago. My guess is by the time I get in, I won't even have any issues by then. It definitely seems like the heat is what made it worse (today I'm fine, yet a couple days ago when it was 100, it was horrible), and I was warned it'll be a few months by the time I'll be able to get in. So here I am taking a road trip that I can't back out of, and my glasses are probably going to do nothing for me! My only hope is that I'm right about the heat and since I'll be in the car with the ac, I'll be ok.

I'm infuriated right now! I'm told one thing, but then a few months down the road when I request it, I'm told no, but she has no problem taking my $52 for absolutely nothing. I swear, if nothing is going wrong, then nothing is going on at all.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

RE Eyes

Your symptoms sound like mine - do you have photophobia along with double or even triple vision - you may need an AWAKE 'O.M.G.' - Oculomyelogram - if they exist, that is - i hope so, i am trying to get a neuro -opth but the closest is in atlanmta georgia and i cannot be in a vehicle that long - i just got over malnutrition and am fighting to keep this weight on and do my Hangling exercises and breathing exercises - wear a eye mask when you are not using your eyes - rest them.... There is more to the eye than meets the eye....
    love susa

Comment

I wear prisms for my double vision, and it seems the prisms work for a certain range of vision, but do not take care of all double vision.

My main complaint was with close up vision. Reading, signing my name on a line (how embarrassing to have signed on what I thought was the right line...but wasn't .)

So they work very well for reading, computer work, etc.

Now as for distance, well I don't drive much, but when I'm out in a car, there are still 2 stop signs, 2 traffic lights, 2 cars (when there's only 1) This is one of the reasons I quit driving. But if it's a short trip, I can manage by taking backroads without a lot of traffic.

I haven't run into a lot of people with prisms, so I don't know if they can put prisms in that work for close and far ranges. I wear progressives, so I think it's not possible. I imagine if you used a different set of glasses for distance and another pair for reading, they could add prisms to each and you'd have both ranges corrected, but it would be pricey and bothersome to have to switch out glasses.

Comment

I am confused by the treatment options that your optometrist offered you. What kind of glasses did she prescribe and why were they able to correct your double vision?

My optometrist was the MD that diagnosed my double vision and I was sent back to my neurologist that same day. I was found to have a paralyzed 4th cranial nerve and a skew deviation.

I have had constant double vision since 2004. I wear the thickest prisms, commercially available, with near vision, intermediate and distance vision correction. You do not need 2 pairs of glasses as they can make bi-focal or tri-focal glasses with prisms. Mine are tri-focal lenses. They are crazy expensive and took the lab 2 weeks to complete. After insurance, I paid over $800. I could not read, drive or work without them so they are worth every penny.

Ask the optometrist to place temporary lenses in your current glasses. They just stick on to the lens so you will not have to waste money, in the event the prisms don't help. You double vision seems to come and go so maybe prisms wouldn't even help but it wouldn't hurt to try them.

Maybe you need a new optometrist and definitely see the neuro-opthalmologist. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Comment

Whatever she gave me, it was a very small rx and I'm guessing the reason it worked for a little bit is because it was in the winter time when I started wearing them and it must have given my eyes just enough help to where they weren't getting fatigued enough to go double on me. It's definitely worse in the heat though, so now that it's hot, they're doing nothing for me. Of course, that is just a guess since I haven't seen anyone yet to give me a good enough answer to my problem. She did get me an appt to a neuro-opthalmologist that I'll see in a few months though. I just wish she would have done that 6 months ago so I could have already gotten in and might not be having this problem anymore (or at least more on my way to getting it fixed).

My double vision isn't normally bad enough that I even notice I'm seeing double. It actually took me forever to realize that because things just seemed like a bit of a blur that I really couldn't explain for the longest time. Then one night I went to Zumba and I was seeing two of my instructor and that's when I finally realized it. When my eyes aren't fatigued, I see totally normally. Of course, when I saw the optometrist the other day, my eyes weren't bothering me, which is a huge reason I believe it's heat related. It was much cooler than normal that day and I had no issues, yet a couple days before, it was 100 out and I went out to Walmart (which is very close to my house so it happened quickly) and the store was a blur to me. That would also explain why it's worse when I'm working out than if I choose to skip a workout.

I've been to the neuro's office a few times since the double vision started and have mentioned it to them, but they never said anything about it. I guess I'm just a really difficult patient since it's not an all the time thing, so nobody ever finds anything wrong when they examine me. Of course, any time I go to see someone about it, it's not happening while I'm there, so things do come back normal even though I'm definitely not. I guess that's why it is so frustrating. It's also hard to make an appt for when I know it'll be bothering me because that's when the weather ends up changing and we end up with an unusually cool day. The time spent sitting in the waiting room also gives me that time to rest and go back to normal again.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Hi lstrl,

I have double vision and have for about 6 months. Mine is different than what I have read on MS forums. I only have double vision when looking in one direction and is due to only one muscle.

My Drs. find mine "interesting"

I have had a CT scan of the orbits as well as an extensive MRI. Neither one has shown any problem which would indicate MS, although MS is suspect.

Since the MRI was inconclusive as to the double vision and my Ophthalmologist was not finding anything wrong with my eyes I was then tested for Myasthenia Gravis Disease. Thankfully my blood work came back normal and MG is now off the table.
            http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/m...nia_gravis.htm

The reason I thought I would explain my situation is your Neurologist, in my opinion, should be more proactive in determining if it's your MS or something else.

My Neurologist wants me to discuss prisms with my Ophthalmologist but my Ophthalmologist has said due to the fact only one muscle is involved and only looking in one direction is involved the prisms might create more problems than they would solve.

nobody ever finds anything wrong when they examine me. Of course, any time I go to see someone about it, it's not happening while I'm there, so things do come back normal even though I'm definitely not.
            The above confuses me.

I have had 4 Drs. (Eye surgeon, Ophthalmologist, Neurologist, PCP) all confirm my left eye is not tracking. My double vision does not come and go and is always there.

Best wishes.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

See A Neuro-Ophthalmologist

A Neuro-Ophth.. is a sub-specialty of neuro's and Ophthalmologists - many are doing 'sleep studies' for eye disorders/sleep disorders etc...

Since that is a new field -the deep brain - most neuro;s and Ophthalmologists cannot tell you - because they DON'T KNOW - Doctors do not care to admit they don't know - that is called NOS or Not Otherwise Specified - or: "I dunno...." Believe me, almost 20 years of dealing with FLORIDA DOCTORS - here in Georgia I cannot find a NEURPO-OPTH Close enough To even 'refer me' to somewhere that has this very simple TOOL, but for some reason, THE - EYE MUSCLE GRAPH or OMG I guess it would be called needs to be done while you are Awake and you need to tell the sleep speiclaists that this is an AWAKE, constant, (mine is constant - 4 muscles or more in both eyes, said the prism glasses would not work for me and so i cannot look at the monitor or tv or any bright lights from my eyes - they are so tired - the muscles - 3 years of this constant moving is exhausting, along with the MS symptoms . please forgive spelling - i cannot look at the monitor one more time. I am not complaining - stuff happens and you have to roll with it, not against it - riding the MS MidWay Roller Coaster....

"see ya" - pun intended - love Susa

Comment

Working...
              X