feeling annoyed and irritated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeling annoyed and irritated...

I have noticed that recently the day after I give my injection, I have NO tolerance for sudden changes in my daily life (especially at work). I find myself getting really annoyed and even somewhat agitated over little things. And then when that happens I can't even think clearly about solutions to the problem that has come up.

I've been on avonex for almost 4 years and this has come up just fairly recently. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I never get any other side effects from the shots.

Hi Andi,
    MS patients already have resource limitations and accommodating change drains our resources even more. The little changes at work make it harder to be successful and that often leads to frustration and eventually anger. Once we get mentally or emotionally overloaded things just get exponentially worse. What is especially hard is having trouble with simple tasks that never posed a problem before.

I have been there, got the t-shirt and now on disability. Before I left the workplace, I had created huge workarounds for many of my daily tasks. I created step-by-step worksheets and idiot-proof routines. At some point, even these were failing me and I was angry because I could no longer work at the same level I could before. Emails that once took seconds to write were now taking an hour or two. I eventually went to counseling to try and help me deal with life change and the grief process. The reality was I could no longer safely or productively function in a work environment. Some where along the way my medical team pulled the plug and my work days were over.

My disease progression has been much faster than the average patient. Even so, this was not a quick process, but one that happened over years and years. I had an extremely high-stress, fast-paced job or I probably would have lasted much longer. On good days I am fooled into thinking I might be able to work, and then 3 or 4 minutes later I am mentally and emotionally all locked up.

I would talk to your neurologist about your situation. My neurologist sent me to get a neuropsych evaluation that clearly showed my deficits and gave me suggestions for improvement. I also saw a speech therapist that also gave me suggestions on how to improve my cognitive functioning. Both have been valuable resources that I wish I had years before. MSWorld has a games section to help you get a mental workout. Progress may not come quickly, but little gains over time do add up.

I would like to remind you it took YEARS for me to go from first struggling to finally be unable to work. Please don't read my message as your unavoidable future, because it is not.
    I hope you will continue to let us know about your situation and I wish you well.

Comment

most of my deficits seem to be mental rather than physical

I work in a medical setting, as a scheduler for a diabetes/nutrition/cancer program, which means that there are lots of changing priorities for the schedule. Normally I have it pretty well in hand and am quite organized but now I notice that when someone messes with (or needs to change) what I have so nicely set up, I get irritated/irate and then have trouble even thinking of logical solutions.

I too use huge workarounds that seem to work pretty well most of the time. I have been told I am doing a good job but I myself notice a difference in my mental attitude/ability.

We are now using a new electronic medical record and scheduling system (for about one year now) that isn't as easy to "see" or work with (i.e. not very flexible). I'm trying really hard not to "lose" things that people depend on me to do, but sometimes I just want to pack up my purse and run away! I only have a couple of years to work before retirement, but often I would love to just chuck it all!

Is the neuropsych eval an expensive thing to do? (I know that I shouldn't let that influence me... but...). I have thought that it might be a good idea to do something like that, but fear of knowing my deficits ... or not having deficits and just being unable to deal with life has sort of stymied me.

I have very few other deficits; started out with ON and am now having a few muscle cramps, slight fatigue (or depression), a slight tremor and some ringing in my ears that the ENT said was probably related to MS. So I am "physically" doing pretty well; the mental stuff has really begun to get to me.

Thanks for your response Marco. I really appreciate the common sense level of your words. I'll see my neuro at end of August and will talk with her about these things.

Comment

On shot day, things always seem worse than they are. I have learned to ignore myself and suffer through all the terrible things that are going on, that magically disappear later.

Perhaps you've always been a little off the next day, but you're under particular stress now, or just older

Comment

irritation from avonex?

I too feel irritated after my injections. Also my legs have been breaking out, especially when i shave. Anyone else have this?

Comment

Re: neuropsych evaluations

A way to get around paying for neuropsych evaluation is by participating in a study I got a neuropsych evaluation and they paid me $20 both times. The lead researcher informed me of my results and provided suggestions on how to improve on the dimensions that I showed deficiency in.
            Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
            UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I've been on Avonex for 3 years. Since my base personality consists of being irritable and impatient, I never thought to connect the two. That said, people without MS seem to be getting stupider and stupider, so Avonex may not be to blame
              Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
              UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Haha

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
                I've been on Avonex for 3 years. Since my base personality consists of being irritable and impatient, I never thought to connect the two. That said, people without MS seem to be getting stupider and stupider, so Avonex may not be to blame
                That's funny right there 😂

Comment

Working...
                X