how about arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about arms?

I have the tightness in my quads, but also in my arms- mostly biceps. I never get spasms, but both are really tight. Sitting on the floor doesn't happen anymore, and getting dressed-pulling up pants, putting my arms in shirts, etc. takes a bit of maneuvering, because my arms don't move as freely as they used to. I haven't heard much about spasticity in the arms, but the tightness in both areas is quite similar. Anybody else experience something similar?

Yes, I've had the same symptoms the past few days. It started with extreme weakness in both arms and legs as well as numbness. Yesterday and today the spastic biceps were very disabling. Last month it kept me up at night and just felt sore in the day. It's been the worse the past few days. I also just ended a 5 day methylprednisone treatment 10 days ago. Hoping for remission very soon.
    Dx MS (RRMS) 7/14
    Dx Myastenia Gravis 8/14
    No treatment selected yet

Comment

Originally posted by bbelaine View Post
      I have the tightness in my quads, but also in my arms- mostly biceps. I never get spasms, but both are really tight. Sitting on the floor doesn't happen anymore, and getting dressed-pulling up pants, putting my arms in shirts, etc. takes a bit of maneuvering, because my arms don't move as freely as they used to. I haven't heard much about spasticity in the arms, but the tightness in both areas is quite similar. Anybody else experience something similar?
      I get stiffness as well, I also have spasms in my arms. What I find helps in doing a windmill type motion (swinging arms in a circle) this seems to stretch and loosen up my shoulder and bicept. I also rotate my hands in a circle which stretches and loosens the wrists.

I find this helpful for all stiff, sore joints actually, just rotating it thru it 's complete range of motion.

Comment

That's excellent advice to stretch it out. I usually do the pre-work out type stretch where I stretch both inward and outward, in a motion across my body at shoulder height and then away from it. Normally it helps but I'm thinking about looking into a med someone told me about.
        Dx MS (RRMS) 7/14
        Dx Myastenia Gravis 8/14
        No treatment selected yet

Comment

My neurologist has mentioned a therapist might be helpful, but he stressed a therapist that specializes in treating MS spasticity not just a regular physical therapist. I might ask for a referral next time I go. I'll post how it works, but it might be a month or so away.

Comment

I can only recommend medical marijuana if your state has it. I have spasticity in all four extremities. I'm on a very low dose of baclofen which controls it for the most part, but when it starts to get so bad I have to ask for help to get dressed, a little cbd tincture helps loosen me up so I can function without the high feeling. When it gets bad enough to start interrupting my sleep, I have some hard candies made with hash oil. That stuff is seriously strong, so only use it right before you climb into bed.

Luckily, I live in Colorado, so its legally available. Also lucky that I only have to use it once every 2-3 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by bbelaine View Post
              My neurologist has mentioned a therapist might be helpful, but he stressed a therapist that specializes in treating MS spasticity not just a regular physical therapist. I might ask for a referral next time I go. I'll post how it works, but it might be a month or so away.
              That's a great idea! Hope that helps you, and please keep us updated on how that goes.

Something else you may want to consider if this continues to be an issue is botox. It was FDA approved a few years ago for upper limb spasticity.

http://www.botoxmedical.com/spasticity/

Best of luck!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

So football-mom, you have it in all four areas too-don't feel so alone now! Most of the time it's not too bad (except getting dressed, etc). I'm on a low dose of baclofen and yesterday morning, I couldn't remember if I'd taken it, so I just carried on. By the evening I was pretty uncomfortable, pushing up from a seat was pretty uncomfortable and my throat hurt when I swallowed things (don't know if that's related). Anyway, back on the regular dose of baclofen today and I'm doing much better. Things are so unpredictable, some days not too bad and others, pretty uncomfortable (but never horrible). If this is as bad as it gets, I can manage (or maybe I'll have to move to Colorado). Live in SoCal. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X