Q. re Wahls and "functional medicine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q. re Wahls and "functional medicine"

This question is for Tara or anyone else who may have helpful information.

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, my husband has decided to try the Wahls Protocol. We have bought it hook line and sinker, and have read the book backwards and forwards. We have been very optimistic that this diet may restore my husband's health. However, I was curious about the "functional medicine" component to her program. The discussion in the book was a little bit confusing and vague.

So, I looked up "functional medicine" on Wikipedia. In not quite so many words, Wikipedia thinks it is a bunch of quackery established by a couple of criminals. But, my new guru, Terry Wahls, thinks FM is great! Hmmm.

So, I am wondering: are we changing over our whole family's diet for no good reason? Should we really give up all gluten, other grains and dairy, eat an astonishing nine cups of vegies a day, start brewing "bone broth" and saute brains, liver, and heart? Do I really need to start combing the store shelves for seaweed and chicken feet? Or is Terry Wahls just another charletan selling snake oil?

I know there have been MANY posts regarding the Wahls protocol, but I have yet to see any post that says it WORKED.

I am looking for some positive reinforcement as we embark on this new dietary journey.

Thanks.

Addendum to post on Wahls and functional medicine

My last post was a little hysterical. It hasn't even been posted yet and I already have second thoughts.

Perhaps the post should have read thusly:

First, WELCOME back TARA! A few questions~

1) What is functional medicine? Does it have a place in treating MS?
    2) What is a naturopath? Is that the same as a functional medicine doctor?
    3) What is holistic medicine?
    4) Should my husband be trying to find ANY of these types of practitioners, in addition to or instead of the neurologist? He has been on Copaxone, Rebif, Gilenya and Tysbabri (over a year now) with no appreciable improvement (the opposite) and this is getting a little scary.
    5) Has ANYONE had positive results with Terry Wahl's protocol? If so, please let me know as we are so eager for something hopeful

Comment

Take a group of desperate people (like MS patients)
      show them something they are all afraid of (like a wheelchair)
      show a credible person (medical doctor) get out of the wheelchair
      by using something we all think we can control (diet)
      while pointing the finger at the evil empire (big pharma)
      and you have the perfect recipe to rake in big bucks.

Quite Simply: Terry Wahl's gives hope to the hopeless.

What is revolutionary or novel about thinking, "a healthier diet makes you healthier?" Absolutely nothing. Consider the average person. If they greatly improve their diet should they have more energy, lose weight, feel better and ultimately attain a healthier state? Yes, yes, yes and yes. If you dump all processed foods and foreign chemicals for natural alternatives you almost certainly will be doing better. Far too many people are eating junk that is physically hurting them. This is the basic garbage in/garbage out model that even common sense dictates.

There are those people that are desperate for this diet to work and want to believe. If only I had control, if only I ate better -- all this would go away and life would be normal.
      Hey, I get it. I too want something better, much better.

Comment

Hello beingmindful,
        I feel being mindful in a complete/encompassing way/approach to MS is called Functional Medicine.

I practice FM, except I'm not allowed to use the word medicine; so I say things like 'fix' instead of cure, 'recommend' instead of treat.

It's getting to the root of the problem in a system and fixing the underlying metabolic problem. Assessing the patient with various tests and incorporating a myriad of lifestyle changes.

I think functional medicine is a holistic approach.

So how do I practice functional med____.?

I address a patient's nutrition, digestion, hormones (I do a lot of saliva testing of hormones and adrenal function), we address sleep issues, bowel function, medications, structural function, stressors, even their emotional wellbeing and how that may be impacting their health.
        I will refer out to other disciplines in some of these areas.

A FM doctor may do all these in house.

I would consider Dr Oz a FM D. And when necessary he performs surgery.

Some of the quackery is connected to the elaborate/ expensive testing a FM D or Natueopath may do. And they usually give a ton of supplements.....and AMA thinks that's quackery (oh but prescribing harmful pharmaceuticals is ok!)

And frankly aren't mainstream and pisses a lot of people off.

Why don't you become your own FM practitioner?
        That means taking charge of your care.
        The first step and one of the few controls you may have is what you eat.

Tara
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

beingmindful, "So, I am wondering: are we changing over our whole family's diet for no good reason? Should we really give up all gluten, other grains and dairy, eat an astonishing nine cups of vegies a day, start brewing "bone broth" and saute brains, liver, and heart? Do I really need to start combing the store shelves for seaweed and chicken feet?"

Nutrition is an area of life we can control and have the final say.

MMmmmm, I eat like that. In the past year I have made turkey liver pate, sauteed beef, turkey and chicken hearts, I regularly make bone broth and Kambucha, I mostly get in >9 cups/day; albeit by juicing some of them.
          90% grain free, 50/50 on the dairy -I do make excellent choices when I indulge- eggs, meats, fish and lots of air-dried sea salt for digestion. My grain is in the form of fermented drink.

I've been doing this for years....and I still refine and fall off.

Obviously it's my job, but I've also first hand witnessed 2,000+ incorporate nutrition and make gains.
          It will make a difference.
          Whether it's more energy, better bowels & sleep, less cog fog, less pain, less spasticity eating well makes a difference.

Does it cure...?
          Does having some of your nagging, limiting, frustrating symptoms lesson sound good?

I've seen it- Lets Go- ask me anything.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Just wanted to express my admiration for your frankness, Tara. Actually makes me chuckle.

Someone else I admire often said, "The truth is your friend". May not always be pleasant but it is always best.

I am so glad you are available again. Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge and experience. A clear strong voice on dietary and wellness matters will bless many more than you ever hear from. On their behalf, and on my own, thank you, Tara.

Comment

Tara, thanks so much for the affirmation. We have been following the Wahls protocol! My DH claims not to notice a difference so far, but I think I see positive changes in his energy and cognition already.

We are making daily smoothies (I sneak in blueberries and kale) and my DH eats TONS of salad.

We have tried a bone broth soup (with chicken, veggies and coconut milk) which the whole family loved. We have had fish 3-4 x per week, and many vegetable dishes: spaghetti squash with marinara sauce; bok choy with mushrooms, miso, garlic and ginger; roasted beets with turmeric and raw cider vinegar; spinach with mushrooms and garlic. We made chicken livers with onions and mushrooms (delicious). I made a paleo Thai chicken curry entirely from scratch, with chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, kaffir lime, chili powder, garlic, basil and coconut milk, which was a huge hit with everyone.

We have not had any gluten or dairy.

We have had Kimchee but I cannot get my DH to drink the Kombucha (which is delicious in my opinion depending on the brand. I can't make it because we don't have reverse osmosis filter, I guess.)

I have made the switch in almost all dishes to coconut oil instead of canola oil. Lard I have not yet embraced!

I agree with you that this is SOMETHING WE CAN CONTROL. I am so hopeful that my DH will see improvement. He has been so low and depressed at the loss of his functionality, vitality, energy and former life.

THANK YOU TARA for affirming what we have been hoping to be true.

Comment

Wahl's diet working for me...

About 2 years ago I started the Wahls diet and it changed my life. I have RRMS. 10 months ago I stopped taking copaxone because I suspected that the DMD was causing most of my most oppressive symptoms. I was right.

So far, choosing to follow the Wahls diet, and then choosing to stop the DMD have been the best decision I've made so far in my treatment of MS. I am at least 75% better than I was before.

Hope this info helps.

Comment

The "hope" is real.

I have MS. I was never told by my neurologist that I was moving into secondary/progressive, but I believe that was the case. My last attack which was back in March, 2011, scared the living daylights out of me, at which point I panicked and decided I needed to try everything and anything to get well.

I was referred by someone else with MS to Ann Boroch and her book, "The Candida Cure". Dr. Wahls' diet is very similar to Ann's, but I've since learned there are others who write about the same type of diet....Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Susan Blum, Dr. David Perlmutter....but I read Ann's book, emailed her and set up my first appointment which was August, 2011. Within 6 months of her program I was off most of my medications. As-of 5 months ago and 2-1/2 years on the diet, I am 99% symptom-free. The dietary changes work but it takes a long time. I didn't care about that; I just wanted to get my life back, which I did!

There is a complicated but very interesting science behind nutrition. Once you begin to understand it (I am now studying to get my certification as a nutrition counselor so I can help others), you realize how extraordinary the human body is, and how eating a poor diet full of junk food, sugar, gluten, etc., puts nearly everyone's health at risk. The dietary changes work. Your body didn't develop an autoimmune condition overnight and it can't heal overnight, but I'm convinced most of us CAN heal from it.

The "hope" is real -- please don't give up! Start by educating yourself and have an open mind. Check out direct-ms.org web site and read their research reports. Find a nutritionist, integrative medical doctor, or healthcare practitioner who has some knowledge about holistic dietary protocols for MS who can help you, and most of all, have faith that it WILL work for you!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Trying Wahls Paleo Diet

I enjoyed these posts. Whiile my 2 weeks is a short time on the Wahls' diet, at least I am eating better and having more energy. And I am in charge of me.

Comment

Ann Boroch Diet Follow-Up

Hi Barb0719,

I am fairly new to MS and to Ann Boroch's diet but I have clinical background and the more I read about nutrition, leaky gut, and disease, the more everything makes sense to me. I was wondering if you still connect to this forum and if you pursued your certification as a nutritionist. It would be fantastic to share experiences.

Esther

[QUOTE=Barb0719;1458221]I have MS. I was never told by my neurologist that I was moving into secondary/progressive, but I believe that was the case. My last attack which was back in March, 2011, scared the living daylights out of me, at which point I panicked and decided I needed to try everything and anything to get well.

I was referred by someone else with MS to Ann Boroch and her book, "The Candida Cure". Dr. Wahls' diet is very similar to Ann's, but I've since learned there are others who write about the same type of diet....Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Susan Blum, Dr. David Perlmutter....but I read Ann's book, emailed her and set up my first appointment which was August, 2011. Within 6 months of her program I was off most of my medications. As-of 5 months ago and 2-1/2 years on the diet, I am 99% symptom-free. The dietary changes work but it takes a long time. I didn't care about that; I just wanted to get my life back, which I did!

There is a complicated but very interesting science behind nutrition. Once you begin to understand it (I am now studying to get my certification as a nutrition counselor so I can help others)....

Comment

BeingMindful

You haven't posted for awhile.

If you're still around, I'm wondering if you have any updates on the Wahl's diet and your husband's health.
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                          What is revolutionary or novel about thinking, "a healthier diet makes you healthier?" Absolutely nothing.
                          Fundamentally I agree. I *think* diet is the reason I've done fairly ok in my disease course. However, the crux is there are a lot of people who just do not instinctively know what a "healthy diet" is. There are so many factors that go into understanding a healthy diet, including socioeconomic matters, food availability, food marketing, ethnicity, and more. In this sense things like the Wahl diet DO educate - and consequently help - people.

I was really interested in it initially, as well as the Swank diet. The ultimate takeaway for me was to follow the American Heart Association diet. Spending a lot of money on seminars and tapes is going to tell me some things I already know. But not everyone.

And I do not think a paleo diet is smart for every type of person. That is where new understandings about the human genome and microbiome come in. I'm excited about studies having to do with those matters as they relate to auto-immune diseases.
                          All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                          X