Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Tagame that is very helpful. Man.....I read on refined sugar and I've cut that out already. Not easy because I always have a sweet tooth. I'm in the process of saving for a magic bullet to make smoothies. I love all the vegetables you mentioned but not a fan of beans. Might have to become one. I'm doing everything in mini-steps. And I can't remember what you wrote about milk. I will have to re-read....cog fog. Thanks again and if anything else you think of let me know.

Have a pleasant day!
    Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Going Paleo

Well we are finally trying the Wahls Diet. After trying Copaxone, Rebif, Gilenya and Tysabri, my DH is ready to try a dietary change. Cold turkey: no gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no sugar. We have even found a gluten free beer. They say results take months or years so we are in for the long haul. We will keep you "posted."

Comment

Thanks!

Beingmindful....Good luck! Please let me know in between. I started giving up a couple things already.....SLOWLY!!!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS

Comment

If you're going to go on a diet, why not at least read about the single most researched MS diet that people have been on for more than 50 years in the version created by Dr. Roy Swank and the modern verion, now 15 years old, updated by Dr. George Jelinek, who has MS himself. It's a lifestyle program.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Comment

Support digestion

What ever nutrition plan you decide it can be better with digestive enzymes.
            Enzymes are necessary for cellular reactions in the body and 'using' them for digestion takes away from more important business in the body.
            Fermented foods, HCL, bile salts, pancreatic type enzymes and even just 'live' foods with meals, such as fruits and vegetables will support digestion and help liberate nutrients from the food.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks

A book I will have to read. Some times with this newness I've been relying on this site with suggestions and sharing. I am going to definately going to preview the book. Man.......You all are so wonderful, insightful and willing to help. The greatest wealth is our health!

Take care and thanks for everything. I'm very grateful!!!

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS

Comment

I have recently discovered that helpful diets vary, according to my health.
                • When I am in a flare, I tolerate different things than when I am not.
                • When I experience acid reflux symptoms, flu symptoms, or cold or congestion or head-achy symptoms, I find that it is important to listen to my body closely.
                • Sometimes, even simply smelling or thinking about a food, prior to tasting, can indicate, to me, whether it is, at that moment in time, a good choice, or a less good choice.

This is somewhat of an acquired skill and requires some practice and certainly some awareness of how your own body responds to different stimuli.

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Tara!

Tara...

Where do I find your recipes on the site? I am new here. Diagnosed 2 months ago and begin treatment next week. Thanks for yours and Faith's input. Faith has really helped me on this site. Any of your input I'd be grateful for. As for milk Faith told me sh drinks Almond. What kind of cereal do you recommend. I love cereal. I'm used to plain cheerios. I've given up refined sugar so I'm dying to know.

Have a great day and happy to meet you
                  Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                  RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                    If you're going to go on a diet, why not at least read about the single most researched MS diet that people have been on for more than 50 years in the version created by Dr. Roy Swank and the modern verion, now 15 years old, updated by Dr. George Jelinek, who has MS himself. It's a lifestyle program.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/
                    Thanks I have read Jelinek and China Study, also looked at Swank and others. We have been going low fat and plant based for years since the diagnosis. We have now decided to switch it up. I must admit I am skeptical, and the high fat makes little sense to me, but we are giving it a try. I am very eager to hear of anyone who has had success with Wahls or any of the other diets. Problem with this crazy disease: how do we measure success??? I am just hoping my DH will be improved enough to stop Tysabri. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
                      Tara...

Where do I find your recipes on the site? I am new here. Diagnosed 2 months ago and begin treatment next week. Thanks for yours and Faith's input. Faith has really helped me on this site. Any of your input I'd be grateful for. As for milk Faith told me sh drinks Almond. What kind of cereal do you recommend. I love cereal. I'm used to plain cheerios. I've given up refined sugar so I'm dying to know.

Have a great day and happy to meet you
                      Susie
                      Thanks Susie, nice to meet you.

Honestly the less grains you eat the better; not just gluten free....
                      because the best and only necessary source of carbohydrates are vegetables and a little bit of low fructose fruits (if you're active enough) NOT GRAINS.

That said, moving away from Cheerios is gooodddd.
                      And finding a low- sugar gluten free cereal would be better.

Since all cereals will be high in simple carbs, fat and/or protein in your 'liquid' will be necessary (to slow the digestion and subsequent release of the sugar into the bloodstream)

Almond milk -great, fat and protein.
                      I like plain coconut milk, fat.
                      Rice milk, too much sugar.

Good luck and welcome to our Tribe.
                      NutritionTara
                      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Tip

Thanks for the tip Tara! Lots to learn....but I'm up for the challenge.

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS

Comment

Working...
                        X