PAIN - I am not diagnosed yet - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAIN - I am not diagnosed yet - Help

I am trying to differentiate between MS and ALS... not diagnosed yet... MRI with/without contrast is tomorrow afternoon.

Progression of this new thing as of 6/5/14:
    1) headaches first 6 days
    2) paresthesia - bilateral forearms down & knees down
    3) numbness - bilat forearms down, upper thighs down,
    (hands and feet especially), anterior abdominal
    (especially right ribs), right gum/tooth, upper right lip,
    nose (with extreme pain last night on my worst flare ever)
    4) **during a flare, I HAVE TO STAY IN MOTION. STAYING STILL IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE as the nerve pain in my legs, hips, SI joints, elbow nerves is too extreme. When I find a comfortable position, I can't even count to three before I MUST MOVE AGAIN. Walking all around the house til 5 or 6 am is the only thing that helps me concentrate... the joints are not sore, the nerves are like hot bundles of fire.
    5) My finger muscles were spasming as were bilateral posterior forearms.
    6) I hope this Gabapentin starts to work soon.
    7) I was told that this tight band feeling around my ribs is an "MS hug." It's what's made my ribs and abdominal muscles numb.
    8) I can scratch my quadriceps skin and no numbness. I can push on my quadriceps muscles, and underneath the skin, the muscles are so numb!!!
    9) All of my muscles including arms, legs, and torso muscles are weak (maybe at least 50% weaker than usual).
    10) Every day, something new happens. Something gets worse. Today it was my tongue getting numb but its gone now, as is my gum/lip/nose numbness after that particular flare subsided.
    11) My eyes can't handle looking fast to the left or right, as they can't keep up with that. When I do look more than 10 degrees to the right or left, I see double vision.

Is this MS or ALS??? An MD yesterday said maybe ALS.
    I want to hear MS, because the alternatives scares the begeebies out of me!!!
    I'm so very scared.
    I'm in such incredible pain. The ER just sent me home, and my HPN MD hasnt even got me to a neurologist yet and it's been 12 days.
    Chatty Kathy

Hi there!!!

I am not famaliar with ALS, so Im not sure what symptoms overlap.

I can tell you that I started with cognitive and vision issues when working. Which led me down the road to MRI's and neurologists.

I have a butt load of different symptoms but the worst for me is PAIN. Big, nasty, bone shattering pain!!!!

Just wanted to show you that someone cares. Sometimes when I post and dont get a response, it makes me mad, sad, discouraged, etc.

Hang in there!!!!

Laura

Comment

Hello Chatty Kathy,

I am really sorry you are in so much pain.

I can't answer your question but I know numbness and weakness are sx's of ms but it can also be caused by something other than ms.

I know how scared you must feel. I hope you are able to see a neuro soon and get some answers.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
      X